GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2000 GW SE til 2004 when second child was born. Sold it because I never got to ride it anymore.
Just bought my first bike in fifteen years a 2012 GW. Front tire has a slow leak. Good tread still with no cupping.
Do I need a new tire or is there a repair option? Also should I get a tire online because of better price or just buy from the dealer that I will have replace front tire that has a small leak? Thanks for helping this born again noob.
Love yours. D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Depends on what you call a slow leak. Mine loses about 2 lbs in a week. It doesn't seem to be abnormal.

Make sure the valve core is tight and check around the valve stem and bead with some soapy water.
I always get my tires from a dealer. They will normally give a better price on mounting than one you walk in with.
Also, they will warranty the tire. If you buy one online you have the hassle and cost of getting it taken off, sent back and reinstalled.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There are many ways to go about the tire replacement issue. Yes you can get them from many dealers, not all. However, I haven't had good luck with that approach. I get mine from Wingstuff.com or some other on line place that ships them free, I also get the balance beads at the same place. Since my dealer only charges half as much for the tire change when he doesn't have to balance, I find it cheaper to go that way & I would 10 times rather have the beads than the other type of balance. So at the end of the day, I suppose you choose which way you want to do it. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would suspect the valve stem core or seal. Take it off and put it in a kiddie pool of water and watch for bubbles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with finding the leak. Spray bottle with very soapy water will find the leak. (Heavy solution of dish soap)
Then determine what to do. Might be your core or the Schrader valve in the core.
Go to americanmototire.com
Find the price for the tire you want. Call your dealer and see if he will match the price plus his mount and balance fee.
I usually do my own tires but I went out in the garage and was getting ready to go on a family group ride. My tire had delaminated.
I looked up my price. $222 instead of $335 or more. Dealer usually doesn't give that big of a discount at all. I told him the price and source. He matched price plus his mount and balance fee. I was back on the road and going for a ride in 3 hrs.
Just a suggestion.
Guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Like said before pressure drop over a couple weeks is not uncommon. Still it's a PITA. Need to locate the leak first, hopefully a value stem core or poorly set tire bead. Many of us use balancing beads but if not carefully installed they can impact the seal between tire and wheel or stick in the valve core. Reseating the tire to the rim and/or changing out the valve core would be my first and last expensive ideas if you find a bubble forming somewhere with soapy water. Also note cold tire pressure will vary between a 45 degree morning in the garage to a 85 degree afternoon in the giveaway just sitting in the sun.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How many miles on the bike? How old are the tires?

It's not that unusual to lose some air while sitting. Always a good idea to check what's going on though. Do not submerge entire wheel in water due to bearings.

I would give consideration to new tires. Many threads and posts here describing the pros and cons of the current available choices. My favorite local dealer will give a good price break on new tires and mounting if I bring the wheels to him. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Many folks are running higher than the factory recommended air pressures as we feel it improves performance and wear.

BTW, there are also posts here regarding replacing the batteries in the TPMS sensors. You do not need to buy complete new valve stems from Honda.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What Andy Cote says, check the date on the tire, I’ll bet it’s old enough to just replace, and while the dealer is in there they can confirm the valve stem integrity. I personally buy from Dennis Kirk and install my own.

I see a gold star in the picture ! Are you gold star parents?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I put good money on your OEM valve stems.

Second bet would be slight bead damage when tire was installed by the shop gorilla.

3rd bet would be a bit of buildup or damage on the bead area of the rim.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Date on tires. Next, Spray down with Windex to find slow leaks, tread, sidewall's, beads and valve stems. Remove the valve stem caps and see if the valves are leaking also. Stop leak solutions are for "emergency" use only!!!!!!
Never take chances with tire issues. The price of quality tires is small compared to a failure.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
45/15. October of 2015. Date on tires. Is that too old. Sorry about the gold star. Must have hit it by mistake. Thanks. D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a leaky rear tire and when my good friend (he's almost as old as me) broke it down he found corrosion in the bead seating area caused by the previous owner using soap to mount his tires. He sanded the area down and reinstalled the tire and it was much better but still loosing a pound a day. I wound up buying a take off rim from a trike conversion and installed the same tire and have no problems. Has anyone here ever had the bead area of their aluminum rim bead blasted or vapor blasted and repainted? If so, what were the results and what kind of paint did you use? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts