GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my previous wings 2012 and 2008, I would replace a tire set at between 9000 and 10000 miles. My 2019 Gold wing Tour has 4500 miles on it and I measured the tread depth. 4/32 on the rear and 3/32 on the front. I’m guessing I might only get about 7000 miles on the OEM Dunlop sportmax tires.

What’s everybody else seeing for tire life on the new model?

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
On my previous wings 2012 and 2008, I would replace a tire set at between 9000 and 10000 miles. My 2019 Gold wing Tour has 4500 miles on it and I measured the tread depth. 4/32 on the rear and 3/32 on the front. I’m guessing I might only get about 7000 miles on the OEM Dunlop sportmax tires.

Mines the same as my 2005 Wing.:smile2:
Bridgestones.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I changed my Stones at 14000 because the rear had squared due to the amount of interstate ridding that I did
Had enough tread for another 5000 miles

·
Registered
136 Posts

My mileage is right at 4450. Just measured mine and my rear is right at 1/4 inch (where yours is about 1/8 in). My front is at .135 inches (approx. 9/64 or 4.5/32 as opposed to your 3/32). I'm not a very aggressive rider though so just take that as a data point - yours are definitely wearing faster than mine.

My tires are Bridgestones (since yours are Dunlop, this is not an apples to apples comparison, just an additional data point for you)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I got 16500 miles on my last set of Dunlaps.

Reactions: John Mark Cockrell

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m at 7500 on my Stones and there right at the wear bars. Hoping to stretch them out to 8000/8500 witch is a considerable difference from my 5000/5500 on my ST. I’m a fairly aggressive rider but do mostly two up and my wife keeps me mostly in line in the twisties but I do push my luck often.

·
Registered
171 Posts
At about 5000 miles the OEM Dunlops on mine had worn to a very scalloped and triangular cross section. They got very noisy when leaned over in turns (where I spend most of my time). I replaced them with OEM Bridgestones and the bike feels new again. I am not a freeway droner, so I wore the Dunlops out on the sides, with plenty of tread left in the middle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Changed rear Stone @ 10000 miles. All 2 up riding. Probably had a few more miles left, but leaving for the mountains didn’t want to chance it.
Michelin’s on my road glide did much better.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
8,000 miles on the rear Bridgestone. Front is good to go for a few thou more.

·
Registered
368 Posts
New Bridgestone's put on at 11,890, have a bit over 21,000 as of last night. The Rear tire started with .311 tread depth, I just measured again with a bit over 9,000 miles on it and there is .197 tread depth left. The wear bar is .108 which if the math is right puts the tire at about 46% left to the wear bars. The tire looks good, I would do a 5K trip right now without a thought on it.

Now my riding style is:

I am in 6th gear in the high 90 percentile by 40 mph and shifting under 2000 RPM's. Occasionally I get on it but it follows my percentile.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 7k on my 18 and looks like I might get another 1k on the rear. The wear is mainly on the sides. The center still has pretty good tread left. I am waiting on a new E4 to come in. Hopefully I will make it. The front is about 1/2.

·
Registered
171 Posts
New Bridgestone's put on at 11,890, have a bit over 21,000 as of last night. The Rear tire started with .311 tread depth, I just measured again with a bit over 9,000 miles on it and there is .197 tread depth left. The wear bar is .108 which if the math is right puts the tire at about 46% left to the wear bars. The tire looks good, I would do a 5K trip right now without a thought on it.

Now my riding style is:

I am in 6th gear in the high 90 percentile by 40 mph and shifting under 2000 RPM's. Occasionally I get on it but it follows my percentile.
I try to leave my percentile at home when I go riding. More fun that way.

I also never measure the tread depth because I always wear tires into a shape I don't enjoy riding on long before they are "worn out" in the classic sense.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
OEM Dunlops at the wear bars on the rear with 7,000 miles. Now trying to decide what to replace them with. I am a little disappointed in the short tire life.

·
Registered
413 Posts
OEM Dunlops at the wear bars on the rear with 7,000 miles. Now trying to decide what to replace them with. I am a little disappointed in the short tire life.
Dunlop just released the Elite 4's for our bike. They will be my next set. They are a dual compound tire like the Mich Commander II. I ran them on my Voyager. 15k on a rear and 20k on a front. They have good grip, good ride and quiet.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
not to the wear bars on the Bridgestone's on my DCT at 16,000 miles, should be able to put a couple of more thousand on before changing, I live in Florida

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
Any idea where to buy the Elite 4's? I cannot seem to locate them for the 2018-2019 GW.
The Elite 4 fronts are available. However, the rear Elite 4 seems to be "Sold Out" at the online vendors I've checked. Seems the Elite 4's in the 200/55/R16 size sold out as soon as Dunlop announced their release. They were supposed to be available again on Sept. 20. That hasn't happened.

I ordered a set as soon as the Elite 4 rear became available. I'm still waiting for the rear tire.

:doorag:

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Elite 4 fronts are available. However, the rear Elite 4 seems to be "Sold Out" at the online vendors I've checked. Seems the Elite 4's in the 200/55/R16 size sold out as soon as Dunlop announced their release. They were supposed to be available again on Sept. 20. That hasn't happened.

I ordered a set as soon as the Elite 4 rear became available. I'm still waiting for the rear tire.

:doorag:
Mine came from Tucker, Parts Unlimited I think were BOed till Mid Oct

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Is Wisconsin all chip seal like so much of the Eastern US is? That makes a big difference in tire life, in my case, at least 5k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts