GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you put the EXACT same rear tire on a VTX and on a 1800 wing - AND ride them the same, should the tire life be the same?

Reason I ask, it seems like the VTX gets MUCH less tire milage than does the wing - even with the same tires: why???

Ken

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
KenH said:
If you put the EXACT same rear tire on a VTX and on a 1800 wing - AND ride them the same, should the tire life be the same?

Ken
No! The Wing is 200 lbs heavier plus more torque and hp.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sooo, the wing should get less tire milage? Most folks say in actual use, the VTX gets a good bit less tire milage.

A buddy has a VTX with a worn out E3 with only 7K miles while I've got the SAME E3 (180/70R-16) on my wing with 12K miles and have about 2K left.

He and I ride about the same. Back when we both had 1500 wings we got about the same tire milage tire change after tire change.

So, with our riding style similar, I would have expected the same tire milage from the same tire.

Ken

J

·
0 Posts
I use Bridgestones on my Road Star cruiser and have to change the rear tire twice to one front, or around 8,000 FTire and 16,000 RTire. I had a 1100 VStar (Dunlop 404) and that was also the case. My friend has both a 1300 and a 1800 VTX. He does exactly the same thing and his total mileage will be very close to mine. I also have a friend with 05 GL1800 and he changed both tires at 16,000 a week ago (Dunlop 250) because he was leaving on a 2,000 mile trip. He thought he had another 2,000 left in them but the service manager thought not. It looks like I will get at least 16,000 out of the set on my 06 GL1800 with Dunlop 250s. A friend with a couple of Harleys, both of them really cruisers with bags (Ultra Glides), said he always uses 2 rears to 1 front.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
KenH said:
Sooo, the wing should get less tire milage? Most folks say in actual use, the VTX gets a good bit less tire milage.

A buddy has a VTX with a worn out E3 with only 7K miles while I've got the SAME E3 (180/70R-16) on my wing with 12K miles and have about 2K left.

He and I ride about the same. Back when we both had 1500 wings we got about the same tire milage tire change after tire change.

So, with our riding style similar, I would have expected the same tire milage from the same tire.

Ken
No two riders ride the same. A slight difference in take-off speed and engine braking can take a major effect on tires.
Twins have more engine brake; lots more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't though of the more engine braking Bill. Good thinking.

You are correct, no two riders ride *exactly* the same, but when we were both riding 1500 wings, we got about the same tire milage, brake pad milage, etc - showing we had similar riding styles. His style hasn't changed all that much, nor has my riding style - I'm a bit more of a "hot rodder" than he is.... suggesting I would get less tire milage than him, but the reverse is true.

BUT that engine braking could be the answer. For every time he slows down, the engine is the main brake and with the twin (especially with that 45# crankshaft on the VTX) that would really increase tire wear - true?

Ken H>

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
When I rode with aggressive twin riders (Duc's, RC51's, TL's, etc.), you could always hear the chirp and see the puff of smoke when they downshifted.
Again, it matters more with radial tires too as compared with bias ply.
Your gear selection in curves will factor as well. If you're in 4th and he's in 3rd as you power-out of a sweeper, he's grabbing more of the traction pie than you are even though you're at the same speed.
Variables.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All you say makes sense Bill - thanks for the info. Now, why does the front tire last so much longer on the 1800 wing than the 1800 VTX? We're running the same front tire also (I think???). yet his is wore out at 8K and I've got 12K and have a couple more thousand to go.

Ken

·
Registered
836 Posts
My guess it the angle of the rake of the forks. My brother has a vtx 1800 and you really have to use a lot of pressure on the handlebars to turn compared to the wing. Must scrub a lot of the tire while turning. Just a guess.

DJ

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
My understanding and someone may have more info is that the VTX tire is not meant to fit the Wing. The Wing tire has a GL written on the side.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ride 2-up most of the time and am very smooth and easy when wifee is on board. When alone, I let em BURN!!! I get about 8K max both Duns and Mets

dw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts