GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a huge brain fart and can't remember some basic details.

Tire load ratings. Let's say that the rear tire is rating for 929 lbs...what is the per centage of the total weight of the bike, riders, luggage and trailer on each tire and how do you figure it without weighing?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dan,

It's for certain that the rear wheel carrys more weight than the front, but so many things affect that ratio for each of us that it is impossible to know without weighing the bike at each wheel. Anything else is simply a WAG, not even a SWAG! For me, because I am a wide load, and because my wife rides with me most all the time (she is NOT a wide load, but she is also not a waif), I try to buy tires with the highest load ratings for the most margin of safety. And I normally run them at or very near the maximum psi listed on the sidewall to obtain the greatest load carrying capacity.

Best advice I have is to load the bike to the heaviest you expect to have it and get it weighed. Then every thing else will be less, and therefore within your margin of safety.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
From weeks ago:

curb weight 405kg = 892 lbs
front 185kg = 408 lbs = 46%
rear 220kg = 485 lbs = 54%

The balance point is a few inches from the center stand. Do some moment calculations to figure how much of your weignt would be added to the rear tire.

Add a passenger and close to their total weight would be added to the rear tire.

Bridgestone exedra is rated at 827 lbs
Avon cobra 827 lbs
Dunlop E-3 992 lbs
Kumho run flat 1202 lbs

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire ratings

Thanks guys. I told her she needed to lose weight.

Looks like a run to the scales is in order.

These numbers give me a good idea though

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Add a passenger and gear and the rear/front split can go to 70/30 according to one poster a while back who weighed his loaded bike, so 892lbs plus 150 lb passenger plus 200 lb driver plus 50 lbs gear = 1292 say 1300 lbs x .70 = 910 lbs on the rear.

Check that air pressure.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Add a passenger and gear and the rear/front split can go to 70/30 according to one poster a while back who weighed his loaded bike, so 892lbs plus 150 lb passenger plus 200 lb driver plus 50 lbs gear = 1292 say 1300 lbs x .70 = 910 lbs on the rear.

Check that air pressure.
05nwl:

Your numbers are pretty close to reality..

I got weighed at Wing Ding a few years ago (I know, there's a joke in there somewhere...), I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was about 1430 lbs or so, with about 475 on the front. That left 955 on the rear.. This was with me (250 ish at the time) my wife (190? I won't even try to go there..) riding gear, and the normal crap you carry around in your bags, rain gear, gloves, tool kit, tire kit, etc. Fuel was not full. The luggage was back at the hotel. There might have even been a little more weight on the back tire. I remember thinking that I was right up at the edge of my E3 weight limit, and add luggage we were going to be there or a little over.
I think the weight limit placard in the trunk is based upon tire ratings, more than any other factor. That's why the load limits are so ridiculouisly low. Take the rear 485 and add 420 to it, and you are approaching the ratings on some (well, most) tires.
And by the way, what makes you think your bike weighs in at 892 lbs? I would bet that most Wings, with fuel, accessories, added farkles, and the extra stuff in your bags (first aid kit, air pump, tire patch kit, change, etc) comes in at much closer to 1,000 lbs than 892. A tank of gas is about 42lb by itself. (6.? gal x 6.7lbs / gal). And I have seen bikes that had tons of heavy add-ons installed.. Kury transformer boards, Kury 4056 pegs, centramatic balancers, trailer hitches, floor boards, CB radio and CD player, luggage rack & spoiler, extra tools, all the stuff on the bars like GPS, cup holders, XM radio & mounts. Most of us have some of this, and other accessories. None are much by themselves, but added up there's probably 40 pounds extra there.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
05nwl:

Your numbers are pretty close to reality..

I got weighed at Wing Ding a few years ago (I know, there's a joke in there somewhere...), I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was about 1430 lbs or so, with about 475 on the front. That left 955 on the rear.. This was with me (250 ish at the time) my wife (190? I won't even try to go there..) riding gear, and the normal crap you carry around in your bags, rain gear, gloves, tool kit, tire kit, etc. Fuel was not full. The luggage was back at the hotel. There might have even been a little more weight on the back tire. I remember thinking that I was right up at the edge of my E3 weight limit, and add luggage we were going to be there or a little over.
I think the weight limit placard in the trunk is based upon tire ratings, more than any other factor. That's why the load limits are so ridiculouisly low. Take the rear 485 and add 420 to it, and you are approaching the ratings on some (well, most) tires.
And by the way, what makes you think your bike weighs in at 892 lbs? I would bet that most Wings, with fuel, accessories, added farkles, and the extra stuff in your bags (first aid kit, air pump, tire patch kit, change, etc) comes in at much closer to 1,000 lbs than 892. A tank of gas is about 42lb by itself. (6.? gal x 6.7lbs / gal). And I have seen bikes that had tons of heavy add-ons installed.. Kury transformer boards, Kury 4056 pegs, centramatic balancers, trailer hitches, floor boards, CB radio and CD player, luggage rack & spoiler, extra tools, all the stuff on the bars like GPS, cup holders, XM radio & mounts. Most of us have some of this, and other accessories. None are much by themselves, but added up there's probably 40 pounds extra there.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
How many GW riders read that sticker or check their loaded weight? Most people load it til they can't get any more crap in the bags, pockets and on the rack, then some throw on a pak-it or a trailer. I'd be willing to bet that most of us, when on a road trip with our significant others, are at best "at" the upper limit of the rear tire capacity and at worst "significantly over" its limit. And then some don't check pressure, do it wrong, or never even look at the tires.

Then we head out across the super-heated slab in the middle of the summer doing 85 mph all day long.

Then we complain about the crappy tires wearing out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just the wife and I overload the bike. Add in all the other crap and baggage and we figure we are about 200 lbs over max. One of the reason to go to a CT on the rear.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
MD, you have the right idea. Scales are the only way to know for sure. Seems the load ratio is about 60/40, rear being 60. + or - the weight distribution, yada, yada. We have to remember the passenger is just about over the rear axle, with luggage behind it, for th most part, that blows the distribution out of the water. I won't even guess where the center of gravity is on the thing.
Let us know what you find out when you put her on the scales. It will be interesting.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts

Looks like a run to the scales is in order.

These numbers give me a good idea though

Holy Smokes! Run to the scales my arse! You'd better head for the hills, and quick! She be gitt'n that roll'n pin out for sure or might bust a cap on you.

prs

·
Vendor
18,589 Posts
My Wing always runs better carrying less weight and there are other reasons I like my women lighter too:)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi-Jack

Made a comment like that once to a sweet little thing...

Didn't see her for about three days...

Then the swelling finally went down enough in one eye....:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Actual numbers

Ok, I went & dug out the real numbers..

459 front
926 rear

1385 total

notice that it is almost exactly 1/3 front 2/3 rear

I have an 03
published weight 892
Placarded at 417

total rated capacity 1309

So by Honda's numbers, (1385 - 892 = 493) we are 76 lbs over before we pack.

I went back the next day as we were leaving, fully loaded & fueled, ready to leave town. It had rained, & the scales were put away. I would REALLY have liked to know the loaded numbers.. We had a Pak-It Rak, rack bag, and saddlebags pretty loaded. Probably another 50 lbs, plus the added gas, and I'd bet we were 1450 or better, with all the added weight on the rear tire.

=Dave=

1 - 14 of 14 Posts