GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to lube front tire to mount on rim?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mix you up a little dish washing detergent with water.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I went to a local auto parts store and bought a gallon of Camel tire lube!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have used the tire lube that came with my No-Mar tire changer, but I have also found that silicone works just as well.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Windex will also work, but you have to work fast with it and make sure you wet the bead just before you inflate.

Normally I use the NoMar lube.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
HOMEMADE

70% Murphy's oil soap
15% antifreeze
15% water
Does not have to be exact

STORE BOUGHT

Ru-Glyde from Napa
can also get it from
http://www.amazon.com/AGS-RG18-Gal-Ruglyde-Lubricant/dp/B000CIJUGK

I have used both and they work well. The homemade seems to be just as slick as the store bought, but the gallon of Ru-Glyde I have will out last me so that's all I have been using.

I have not used it but of all the things I have read the Nomar lube posted up above is suppose to be really great stuff.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
What can I use to lube front tire to mount on rim?
I recommend the same stuff you use to mount rear tires except add the ingredients in reverse order and stir counter-clockwise. ;)

Seriously, all of the suggestions noted above are OK though I'm not so sure about the advisability of using glycol based anti-freeze in this application.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I forget the percentage, but Ru-Glide has a dose of elthelene glycol (antifreeze) in it; it helps slow evaporation and gives a longer "working time". I used to add a litte to my home brew, but the idea of using a paste (per NoMar Paste) got my attention and I simply upped teh ratio of glycerine bar soap to the water until I got the semi-gel consistency I liked. Works GREAT! You can tell if you have used a good lube if the tire mounts easily, does not leak air around the seated beads, and at time of dismount there is a generous residue of rubber stuck to the rim. When soap based lubes dry, the rubber is virtually glued to the rim. Its a good thing.

prs

G

·
the rubber is virtually glued to the rim. Its a good thing.
I see this as a very bad thing. Why would one want to glue the tire to the rim?
Soap - it's just not for breakfast anymore. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Seriously, all of the suggestions noted above are OK though I'm not so sure about the advisability of using glycol based anti-freeze in this application.
When I first read about using it I to questioned it's use, but then I started thinking about the rubber hoses that it runs through with no ill effects on cooling systems. Used it on a few tires including automotive without a problem. I think it is like any homemade concoction. Use at ur own risk:shock:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I see this as a very bad thing. Why would one want to glue the tire to the rim?
Well for one, I don't want to lose air around the bead seats. For two, I don't want the rim spinning faster than the tire.

But, this IS one of those things where using common sense is required. You do NOT want to slather on any lube to the extent that residual will remain inside the tire; liquid, gel, or paste. Conservatively wipe the bead seats, the tire beads, and the outer part of the rim where the tire will be pulled over; only a thin coating is needed or desired, then mount and seat beads before that dries. Actually, I re-coat before seating the beads becasue I am fairly slow moving when mounting and it does tend to dry too much. On the initial ride, take it easy on jack-rabbit starts or panic stops until after the tire has heated-up to normal operational temp - but then it is set in place. Maybe "glued" is a poor choice of word by me, perhaps "tacked" down (as in tacky, not nailed) would be more accurate.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts