GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious. What has been your experience with a set of tires and what was the highest mileage you ever put on a set of tires with your Wing?
Please indicate the brand of tire also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
18,911 mile average on 5 sets of Metzelers. One set was changed out early in prep for a long trip.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I got almost 1400 miles once.
Depends on how you ride.
"1400 miles" - that's 3 days riding :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
When I used to ride the wing to work, I was lucky to get 10k out of them, didn't matter what brand. But, I live on the Texas coast and we only have about two curves in the whole county. Now the wing only gets used for LD trips and I have 10K on a set of stones with a lot of life in them still. Point is, depends on where and how you ride...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have been rinding for 35 years, Riding Wings for 8, I have never riden with anyone, nor have I personally gotten more than 12500 out of a set of tires. I am saying anyone is fibbing, but you guys who get more than 13000 out of a set must ride straight roads at 45 MPH. :) :croc: :biker: :croc: :flg: :croc: :biker: :flg: :croc:

Keep on riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. 1400 miles is only two days at most. And I'm with ya Bill

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Gotta disagree wid ya Bug. Curvy roads will yield longer tire life. Tire spends less time on the apex which results in more surface to wear on.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
tire mileage

I have a set of Bridgstones, so far 12,000 miles on them bougt them in Aug 2004 and they still look pretty good... I dremmel off the sharp metal strands and keep air in um.....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

Actually the wear is pretty even and I am trading up so I will keep um through the winter and trade um in!! should be good for another 5k

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have to disagree with you also Mudbug, I had a set of Mets that had 16,000 on them when I changed them out to start a new season & they still had 5/32 left on the rear. I figure they would have gone another 2,000 easy!

Larry

·
Registered
585 Posts
Front Bridgestone 709, 21,000 miles and still going. Gonna change it this week. Bridgestone rear, 17,000 easy. I think some may change theirs sooner than really need be. OK by me.............. :D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I did not really want to change my tires last week, but I was afraid to run them all the way out and take a chance on not getting in for a change if a quick trip came up.

These E3 70 tires had 2,000 to 4,000 miles left in them even though they already had 23,000 miles on them which would have been 24,500 on the OEM size tire. Every Mile had the Tailwind trailer in tow.

I have never come close to getting that kind of mileage on the rear tire of any bike. The best before that was 18,000 on my Elite IIs on the GL 1500. I did Get 25,000 out of the Front Elite IIs on the 1500.

One thing that makes my mileate different is that I always pull a trailer and that is true with the 1500 as well..

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I got just a tad over 16,500 miles on --- 2 - sets of Dunlops - D250..
not down to the wear bars yet... and no cupping what so ever...
I run 41 rear 38 front psi.. and I check them often

cosmic

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I just had a rear tire failure in northern Montana - there was 23,857 Km on it. (replace in Lethbridge.) I replaced the front when I got to Calgary - it was just about smooth at 24,104 Km.

Tire's off: Avon
Tire's on: Dunlop's D250's (only one in stock for rear and I matched it for the front.)

Note: I've only had the 250's on a three days and I can already feel that they are NOT as comfortable to ride on when the road is wet. And there is a lot of wet this time of year.

·
Registered
788 Posts
John in YVR said:
....Note: I've only had the 250's on a three days and I can already feel that they are NOT as comfortable to ride on when the road is wet....
I reported my observations about the Dunlop 250's back in mid-2003. They are very treacherous on wet roads.

That same observation has been reported hundreds of times on these boards.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Neil, you are right about the 250s, but the early Bridgestones were 10 times worse, and that is all we could get on the 01 and 02 Wings. In fact, they were the most scary tires I have ever had. The runner up was the Dunlop Universal that came on my 1952 Triumph Speed Twin that I bought new. Now those were real motorcycles. Spring hubs and all.

Looked like Lee Marvin's Thunderbird that Marlon Brando rode in "The Wild One". Marlon got the blond to ride with him in the moonlight and if it was good enough for him, I just had to have one. I was 18 at the time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Tom,

I never had a problem with my OEM 'Stones, but the pucker factor redlined with the 'Lops.

Since then I've run exclusively Metz's and have never had a problem, except once, and every one behind me hit that same patch of oil on a wet road and did the same dance! :22yikes:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If I can get a safe 9K out of the rear and a safe 14K out of the front, I am on schedule.

Makes no difference the manufacturer for the mileage. Not sure the manufacturer matters for the "Shake" either.

Bulldog

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just took of a set of Dunlop E-3's with 14000 miles on the rear 15,000 on the front and I figure the front had a couple thousand more to go.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The E3 70s I just put on are the most perfect round and straight tires I have ever had.

Now the back one I bought at the Ding and carried back in my Tailwind after watching them mount tires inside, with the guy holding a cell phone on his shoulder and a tire iron in each had trying to get the guide back over to the outside of the rim while it dug into the aluminum. I was about to drop my bike off there, and still shudder to think how close I was to some screwed up wheels.

The front tire was a stragler that came in to a San Antonio dealer about the time I got there. They are still very scarce around here.

Both tires were a pig in a poke. Just happened to be perfect tires. Probably means I will hit a knife of something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts