GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front tire, a Metzeler 880 on my GL1800 is severely cupped so I asked the Champion Honda in Leesburg, FL about installing a new one. They don't care if I buy the tire from them but they require $60 to mount & balance a tire. They will not mount a tire on a rim that is brought in to them. They must remove it from the bike and re-install it themselves "for liability reasons".

What should I expect to pay for mouning a new tire on my GL1800? Where else should I check for this service? I don't mind removing the wheel myself but don't think that I want to try removing & re-installing the tire itself or balancing afterwards. I'd like to know what you do so I have some perspective on this basic service.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Local dealers charge for wheel and tire in hand (Walk in)
$25 - Mount/Balance + Disposal
$35 - Mount/Balance + Disposal
$35 - Mount/Balance

Most charge between $45-$75 on the bike.. I have trust issues with the dealer reassembling my bike, I can mess it up myself thank you!! :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
tire mounting

Ditto on Punkinwings post. I would have issue with a dealer having no confidence in my ability to remove my own tire. Who the heck do they think they are anyway. Some Wing owners can do their own maintainance with no problem, and we do see that all the fasteners and bolts go back on, unlike some of the dealer mechanics.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Check around a few of the car tire dealers, I now get mine done at the local tire shop, they charge 5 bucks to install a tire and 2 bucks to balance it, They even picked up a device so they could do the front tire. I bring the wheel and tire in.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: tire mounting

greasemonkey said:
...Some Wing owners can do their own maintainance with no problem, and we do see that all the fasteners and bolts go back on, unlike some of the dealer mechanics.
Having been a member of this board for several years, I can say that I'm often shocked at some of the "technical" questions, responses, and advice I've read (it's actually worse on another board...IMHO). So, I can appreciate the position some dealers take.

I'm truly afraid to be on the same road with some here that do their own wrenching...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was'nt trying to bash dealer mechanics, only stating facts from observations of fellow riders I ride with. Matter of fact, a fellow rider and close friend had his bike to the local dealer for the frame recall last year. The bike had to be totally disassembled, repaired, and reassembled. He picked the bike up Friday evening and we rode Saturday morning. Less than 15 miles into the ride, someone radioed him and said something had fallen from his bike and hit the faring of the bike behind. Next possible stop, he started looking over his bike and found several loose bolts, like the mechanic was interupted and forgot to tighten them. He surely went over it thoroughly and found his faring and bags missing several bolts. Other riders in our club have complained about the same issue.
So don't say it does'nt happen. If you have had better service in your area, you are fortunate.
As for us, we are beginning to help each other with the repairs we can handle, as do many good people on this board does.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The point is that there are many incompetant or careless wrenches at the dealerships.. My experiance mirrors many here that the bike sometimes comes back with missing parts and overtightened fasteners.. Many dealerships don't use torque wrenches for anything..
Personally, I had a rear brake caliper fall off and almost take the bike down from an overtightened and stripped mounting bolt from the dealership.. Never again!!! Warranty work only then carefully checked before riding..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
greasemonkey said:
...Less than 15 miles into the ride, someone radioed him and said something had fallen from his bike and hit the faring of the bike behind. Next possible stop, he started looking over his bike and found several loose bolts...
Apparently this is a sensitive issue for you and your fellow riders...I can understand that.

Maybe it would help if you downloaded the T-CLOCS checklist (there's even one for trikes) and provided a copy to the others. Performing the check (even an abbreviated one) before a ride might just save someone from damage or harm in the future.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never leave home without a pre-ride check, Home gets too far away too quick to be broke down on the side of the road.

I

·
0 Posts
I had the front tire on my trike replaced by my dealer. He supplied the tire I specified. A Michelin Pilot Activ. I rode in, and rode out a hour later. Price out the door...$180.

Tire, balance, and install were flawless and I have never had problem one after many K miles.

Guess what?...there are good Honda dealers. :lol:

Ride safe. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
IBTrike said:
I had the front tire on my trike replaced by my dealer. He supplied the tire I specified. A Michelin Pilot Activ. I rode in, and rode out a hour later. Price out the door...$180.

Tire, balance, and install were flawless and I have never had problem one after many K miles.

Guess what?...there are good Honda dealers. :lol:

Ride safe. Merry Christmas.

Mind sharing your good dealer here in Michigan?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There are not too many situations where I would ever go to a dealer and have them remove and mount a new tire. Maybe if I was on the road or if there was some kind of warranty work being done, but never ever for a simple tire replacement.

Old days I always removed my own tires and took them into a tire dealer (i.e. motorcycle tire shop) to have new tires mounted and balanced. That worked fine for a while, but was a lot of wheel spinning, phone calls and far too many trips for my wants and needs.

Now, I order the tires on line - serveral sets of tires at a time and install all of them my self along with balance them. It's far more convenient (all right outside my own garage), a heck of a lot faster (both ordering and installing) and I save money to boot.

Tire wise, it wssn't the good old days, the current days are by far a lot better.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I pay $10 if i bring it in and buy the tire from my dealer. I Pay $20 if i bring in the rim and tire.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
K8KQD said:
Champion Honda in Leesburg, FL
VERY nice friendly people there ... (no sarcasm, I'm serious).

but ...
EVERYTHING I've ever priced there (including the original bike) has been MUCH more expensive than anyplace else.

Sometimes I need something RIGHT NOW and they do have one of the best inventories in Central Florida, so I pay the extra price.

... for everything else that can wait a bit, I shop elsewhere.

Dennis

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
As simple and straight forward as reinstalling a tire/rim assembly is on the GL1800, its hard to imagine that any sober/alert person could not get it done correctly. On the other hand; It would be a safe bet to claim some unbelievably significant portion of them are not done correctly whether by the DYI person or the dealership mechanic. Two common tell tale signs that can be seen on many parked bikes; the front and or rear sections of the fender Tupperware sort of "buzz-rattle" if you rap their sides gently -should be rock solid. The left side axle's guide line is either sticking out by 5mm or is buried. With even minor attention to detail and simple following of the install steps, neither is going to occur. But, if you do not have a tire machine or a Bulldog in your neighborhood, what is the harm of sitting down beside your front tire and inspecting the install job and correcting the easy to correct faults if discovered - whats it going to take? Five minutes at tops to loosen and four nuts and one bolt, tap the axle to the right, install the bolt and tighten two nuts, then set the guide line at the right side of axle, hold the brakes and "bounce" the bike before tightening the other two nuts. Takes longer to type than to do. Same with the Tupperware shoulder bolts; loosen them all a bit, check to see that the rubber washers are in plae on the lower ones, shke the fender parts and side panels to make sure the shoulder of the bolts are in the holes and not pinching the body panels, retighten.

prs

·
Registered
203 Posts
K8KQD
On the VTXOA Board there is a guy named Kevin Kuiper that lives in your town. At one time I think he was changing tires at his house. You might give him a try. He is one of Hal's friends. Hope this helps. Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts