GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on what type / brand tire plug kit I should carry on my GL1800. I currently carry a can of slime but I hear that is not the best way to go as it can make a mess of the wheel (especially for the person changing the tire). I am in Canada so kinda limited to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire for the plug kit.

Also... I have never used a plug kit. Do you need any special tools or is everything in the kit. How big are these kits?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I carry a cheap rope plug kit from a auto parts store along with a razorblade to cut the plug. I also carry a bottle of Slime and a compressor. I figure anything will look good if you are on the side of a road somewhere.

The Slime won't hurt the rim. It just makes a mess for the Guy changing the tire if you don't warn him in advance. Water will rinse it right off!

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Tom, I have a Stop &Go that I just got. I tested it on a tire I had around so I could see how they work on the inside. It works great,I would have no problem countinuing on after pluging the tire with it.Stop&Go just came out with another kit that is a little more compact than the one I have. My friend and I tested it also and it works just as good as the kit I have. I have another friend that is a LD rider who has used the Stop&Go for years and swears by them . After seeing the mess that liquid sealers make and the fact that they don't work all that well I would never use them.I also cary a small air compressor that I got at Wally World.You could also use co2 cartriges.Just get the largest size you can find, other wise the small ones will take 10 or more to inflate the tire.
**** :yw1:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I bought one of these Stop 'n Go kits:

It has not worked for me twice. It is a great theory, but it has failed both times. The first time, the nail entered the tire at an angle. Because of that, the mushroom head did not seat properly inside the tire, and it leaked air. It lost about 4 pounds of air a day.

The second time, there was a little chunk of rubber that was pushed inside the tire, and again, it didn't allow the mushroom head to seat properly, and it leaked air also.

In both cases, on the second try, a $2 "sticky rope" kit worked, and was a lot cheaper. They are easy to use, and have been around for years and years.

Here's a pictoral on using the sticky rope kit. Thanks to Fred.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tireplug

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Tom ,I also tryed the rope plugs and found them to be less dependable than the plugs.IE you can actully pull them out of the tire by hand after inserting them.Plugs are much more stable, And less messy to use. :yw1: :

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A MOTORCYCLE tire plug device is supposed to be a temporary repair to get you some place nearby so that you can replace the now defective tire.

Having said that I have used a Stop 'n Go plug twice in the past to get me home. It worked both times. First time it lasted 300+ miles and I did get home safely. I was a bit miffed that I learned that it was not a permanent repair, but it did do the job it was intended to do. Apparently, the only safe way to repair a motorcyle tire permanently is to do a proper inside patch.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have also used the Stop-N Go plug kit twice over the years and it failed to work each time. The first time it still had a slow leak after the repair but I made it home. The second time it was an odd shaped hole and the hard round plug would not hold any air. Another rider had a BMW tire repair kit and it worked like a charm.

Some other problems I found with the Stop-N Go kit is that the bottle of Oil they use to lubricate the plugs tends to leak and the Plugs get hard, making them useless after a couple of years.

I used the BMW kit just this weekend on a rear tire of a friends GL1800 and it worked perfectly. The CO2 cartridges are useless but the oval plugs come in a individually sealed container, they were 5 years old and still like new. The oval plugs are very easy to insert into the tire and the tool prevents over inserting the plug. After getting the kit you can just purchase the plugs and glue (not shown).

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
For temproy repair, I vote with the glue soaked rubber rope type. Then buy a tire. I also carry the slime in the event the hole is too jagged for the rope alone. For the slime, you must have a valve core tool on hand and that is cheap and really needed too since much of the air you lose on a regualr basis is likely due to loosely seated stem cores. My "kit" has a pressure gague, valve core tool, spare valve cores, spare valve caps (metal kind with rubber "O" ring seal), the Monkey Grip (Camel brand good too) rubber ropes, small tube of rubber cement, rope insertion tool with reamer, and a small foot operated air pump. I suggest that one does need to use the reamer to freshen the hole as the rubber cement works much better with freshened edges -- no need to bore it out noticeably, just rough it up a bit. Get home, order a new tire and valve or set of tires/valves.

prs

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I use the rope style plug kit,comes with plugs,tools and glue sold at your local Thunderbay Walmart for about $5. They also carry a product similar to slime for $5 and is recommended for motorcycle tires,won't hurt the rim and cleans up easy with just plain water. You will need an air source,I been using fixaflat in airisol can but plan to get one of those $10 12 volt compressors that most others seem to be useing. Good to practice on a flat tire at home in daylite but the plug kit is pretty easy to use. The plug kit is about the size of a TV remote control so easy to carry on a bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts