GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a huge hole in my ROF. I plugged it with two string plugs and am back on the road. However I am losing about 2 psi a day and since I am well over a thousand miles from home I'd like to have a better patch. The mushroom type plug/patch I hear good about. Can I use one of those without taking tire off of rim?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
"Nurse" it back home and get a new tire. "Mushroom plug may not be no better than what you already have since you have already used the "Rope" plugs with the glue to seal them to the tire.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would opt for re-plugging with a mushroom plug only if you have time and the proper plug and tools to get it done correctly. The photo of the item that went through your tire it would usually mean to me that a hole that big, will not plug properly to where you can trust it to go anywhere.
If you have to re-plug make sure you use the GLUE effectively, even new tubes of glue if they get old or opened will be useless. I replace the one I carry about once or twice a year & never carry one that has been opened. Most tire plugs used are a hurry emergency type situation and sometime they are not done exactly the way they need to be.

Tip: With a rope plug make sure you ALWAYS!!!!! use fresh glue & after inserting the plug turn the T handle tool 180 degrees before pulling it out. Never had one leak or come out that way. & I have done MANY!! tire plugs.. RIDE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not ruin or worry on your trip! Do what you have to NOW & make a safe trip home.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought pulling the plugs out because they are not glued. My glue dried out after 7 years. I'll wait until I get home before I mess with it. 2 psi a day I can live with, I'll just have to add air every few days.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are in Cadez, KY on our way to international falls, MN. We will be mainly Interstate driving from here.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good luck Rob, hope this does not interrupt your road trip. Millie and I are heading up on the Blue Ridge this month for a week just flower sniffing.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Can you locate a replacement tire? When might you be near willow River? We could get you back to full strength.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
If I wasn’t replacing the tire I’d get some fresh glue and try to sneak another rope plug in.

Good luck guys....
:agree: You can find it at any walmart or hardware store, probably truck stop also.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
869 Posts
We are in Cadez, KY on our way to international falls, MN. We will be mainly Interstate driving from here.

If I were running on Interstates think I would have it repaired with an internal patch - just one man's opinion...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I were running on Interstates think I would have it repaired with an internal patch - just one man's opinion...
i called a few tire places...no one will do a motorcycle rim. motorcycle dealers i called were closed sunday and monday. My plan is to monitor and do what Red suggests when i get home. If it suddenly gets worse at least i can contact glblinded. I already know what its like to ride with 0 pressure in it. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
The ropes will get you off the roadside in an emergency, and generally do fine as that's what they're for. Rather than adding more rope, I'd do it right and have a parachute patch done as soon as possible. These are recognized by all major tire manufacturers as a proper repair, and doubles the repair by not only sealing the hole, but sealing the inside of the tire surrounding the hole. Just my opinion, but you've only got two tires, good enough shouldn't be good enough. Good luck and ride safe.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
If not using factory tpms how about bottle of slime to get you home ! ?

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leak increased last night. I bought some fresh glue, removed old plugs and replaced. No leak but it took 3 plugs. Not confident. I couldn't find a tire shop able to remove the motorcycle wheel and the motorcycle shops I've called have all been closed... Maybe tomorrow.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Most shops closed on mondays ! Is the yamaha like wing where you can lay it over n take off wheel ??

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most shops closed on mondays ! Is the yamaha like wing where you can lay it over n take off wheel ??
It is not. Saddle bags and mufflers have to come off. Pull the axle, readjust belt when putting it back together, its not hard but you have to get the rear tire up about a foot and there is no center stand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts