GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been though two sets of stock Bridgestones. They were fine. Now riding E3s and enjoying the faster turning feeling. Looking forward to longer wear. But, just to see, my next set of tires will probably include something a little WIDER. I don't necessarily care about it being a run flat. Thinking Alpine or Falken. On the other hand, I DO want to run the pressure around 40 so the stock Honda Tire Pressure a Monitor system will keep working. Comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I did the reverse register on the TPMS so I could run 32 in the rear. It only took 15 minutes and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I've been though two sets of stock Bridgestones. They were fine. Now riding E3s and enjoying the faster turning feeling. Looking forward to longer wear. But, just to see, my next set of tires will probably include something a little WIDER. I don't necessarily care about it being a run flat. Thinking Alpine or Falken. On the other hand, I DO want to run the pressure around 40 so the stock Honda Tire Pressure a Monitor system will keep working. Comments?
Nice Picture!! I love it!! :thumbup: I really like running my Aplin @ 39# I think you will too!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Don't worry about the stock tire pressure monitor, as any related issue can be resolved for whichever tire you choose. First thing is to select a tire that is likely to match your riding style and personal needs. If you are after performance the Falken is about as good as it gets, but it comes with the risks associated with a non-runflat tire. The Yokohama and Kumho NRFs are also good tires. If you prefer a good performing runflat, the Yokohama is a very good choice. The Alpin is a wonderful runflat tire that meets the needs of many 'Wingers, but it does not like to be pushed hard in the twisties. Other quality rinflats include the Pirelli Cinturato P1 and the Bridgestone DriveGuard. There are many other models that folks use, but these are the primary ones.

So, what are you looking for out of a CT?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Don't worry about the stock tire pressure monitor, as any related issue can be resolved for whichever tire you choose. First thing is to select a tire that is likely to match your riding style and personal needs. If you are after performance the Falken is about as good as it gets, but it comes with the risks associated with a non-runflat tire. The Yokohama and Kumho NRFs are also good tires. If you prefer a good performing runflat, the Yokohama is a very good choice. The Alpin is a wonderful runflat tire that meets the needs of many 'Wingers, but it does not like to be pushed hard in the twisties. Other quality rinflats include the Pirelli Cinturato P1 and the Bridgestone DriveGuard. There are many other models that folks use, but these are the primary ones.

So, what are you looking for out of a CT?
:thumbup: Ive run the alpin and now the yoho around here they are both great tire the yoho feels a lot easier to switch back and forth than the alpin I'll be in the mountain next week and give it a good test in the twisties with the alpin I boost the tire pressure to 38 cold to get better response out of the tire I'm going to leave the yoho at 34 to see what it can do and adjust it from there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am on my third Alpin. I have reversed the sensors so the back sensor thinks it is on the front and therefore has a threshold of about 33 psi or so for turning on the light. For my last Alpin I ran it about 40 psi, well above the threshold which is handy because on cold mornings it could be down 2 lbs due to the temperature. Anyway, much of the time we run two up with luggage, and the ride was fine. However, over the life of the tire the center wore more than the sides. So for us 40psi is too much. I am going to run this one around 36 to see what happens.

For the last set we ran a standard Bridgestone at 41 psi on the front and that worked well.

This time around we are running a BT-45. It is still under 1000 miles, but so far so good...and I have been running it about 39psi. The front sensor thinks it is on the rear so the threshold will be about 37 or 38 psi. With this setup the TPMS light does not flash even in the cold mornings.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the effortless turning of a MC tire, but could use help holding the bike steady when completely stopped. I also want better than 8,000 miles from a tire. Although, at $230 for my lady E3, I could almost afford 3 Falkens.

This is video is kind of off topic, but hey, this is my thread so enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mteJpm94wIs&sns=em

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Thanks for posting the vid, CC.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Interesting video. Do all tires flex like that in the turn? Just curious.
They all flex to some extent, depending on pressure and sidewall stiffness. Wouldn't want one that didn't.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
what tire pressure are you running up front w/ a CT on the rear & an MC tire up front?
I run 37 # in my Metz u front & 30# in my CT.
Just checking..

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
what tire pressure are you running up front w/ a CT on the rear & an MC tire up front?
I run 37 # in my Metz u front & 30# in my CT.
Just checking..
I run 37# in my G709. Good for the twisties.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I run 37# in my G709. Good for the twisties.
for some reason I remember someone on this board saying run 41 psi up front & 30 + - in the CT in the rear.
specs are 36 up front, I feel that 41 is a little too hi..

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
for some reason I remember someone on this board saying run 41 psi up front & 30 + - in the CT in the rear.
specs are 36 up front, I feel that 41 is a little too hi..
30+- is in the neighborhood for a runflat CT. Non-runflats are typically in the 44# range. Mother Honda recommends ~40 up front. What you run is up to you and your needs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
40 psi will wear the center out. i have kept track of the wear Darth vader Fictional character Supervillain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.