GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought our 2008 Wing (which we bought brand new in June 2010) in for it's 12,000 mile service. The original Dunlops could have probably went another couple thousand miles but since I have the money now I figured I might as well get everything done in one visit. The dealer is going to try and stay under $1K for the entire service to include new tires and all fluids changed, air filter, etc. The service manager was quoting directly from the service manual when quoting labor hours so I guess it is a fair deal.

I know the OEM Dunlop tires were not very popular with some folks but we never lost traction, had any strange noises, or any other issues. They are only just now getting the sleightest hint of cupping. I also figure it is a good idea to change these out now since the original tires have DOT dates of late 2007. My only complaint, however minor is the 0-20 mph handlebar shaking. We might buy the Wingstuff fork brace (not too many options with an Airbag model) but it will be a long time before we have enough cash to do anything with Traxxion (if we do).

When I rode to the dealer I don't know why but I asked if they had any E3 tires in stock. They said yes so unless I call again and see if anything is on sale I will have matching E3 tires soon. Perhaps I should have asked about the Bridgstones?

Since we are in Florida and don't get a chance to ride many curvy roads our primary concern is longevity over sticky traction. I want to have these tires for another 12K miles. I read the the E3 have a little hum to them when leaned over but as long is traction is not lost we should be happy.

My question is what pressure is everyone using for the various tires out there? Does everyone inflate their tires to what is listed in the owners manual or lid of the trunk? We used to have a Kawasaki Voyager XII (1200cc) and we had bias ply Metzler 880s and everyone in the Voyager world that used the Metzlers would exceed the recommended pressure and get more than 20K miles on a front tire and 15-20K on a rear tire (the standard being 38 PSI front and 46 PSI rear for the bias ply Metzlers). I would not go back to Metzlers again however since they were slippery, would square off (essentially morphing into a car tire on its own) and some would delaminate. I guess that the Radial Metzlers could be different but the tread pattern looks the same.

So what tire pressure are people using in their E3, Bridgstones, Metzlers, Avons, etc.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Big, when I used to run moto tires front and rear I always followed the pressures listed in the trunk. Now I only run a Bridgestone G709 moto tire on the front and still run it at the 36 psi listed in my trunk.

There are many different opinions about tires and tire pressure on here & I am not one who subscribes to the idea that over inflation prevents cupping.

I am pretty sure the E3s will give you more mileage than any other moto tire out there. Plus, they have a very strong sidewall should you have a flat.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
So many variables Big....brands, solo or two-up, modified suspensions, towing, the list goes on and on.

My current setup...
Bridgestones
Solo rider
34/35psi front
37/38psi rear
Modified suspension
No cupping at 10,000 miles

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I brought our 2008 Wing (which we bought brand new in June 2010) in for it's 12,000 mile service. The original Dunlops could have probably went another couple thousand miles but since I have the money now I figured I might as well get everything done in one visit. The dealer is going to try and stay under $1K for the entire service to include new tires and all fluids changed, air filter, etc. The service manager was quoting directly from the service manual when quoting labor hours so I guess it is a fair deal.

I know the OEM Dunlop tires were not very popular with some folks but we never lost traction, had any strange noises, or any other issues. They are only just now getting the sleightest hint of cupping. I also figure it is a good idea to change these out now since the original tires have DOT dates of late 2007. My only complaint, however minor is the 0-20 mph handlebar shaking. We might buy the Wingstuff fork brace (not too many options with an Airbag model) but it will be a long time before we have enough cash to do anything with Traxxion (if we do).

When I rode to the dealer I don't know why but I asked if they had any E3 tires in stock. They said yes so unless I call again and see if anything is on sale I will have matching E3 tires soon. Perhaps I should have asked about the Bridgstones?

Since we are in Florida and don't get a chance to ride many curvy roads our primary concern is longevity over sticky traction. I want to have these tires for another 12K miles. I read the the E3 have a little hum to them when leaned over but as long is traction is not lost we should be happy.

My question is what pressure is everyone using for the various tires out there? Does everyone inflate their tires to what is listed in the owners manual or lid of the trunk? We used to have a Kawasaki Voyager XII (1200cc) and we had bias ply Metzler 880s and everyone in the Voyager world that used the Metzlers would exceed the recommended pressure and get more than 20K miles on a front tire and 15-20K on a rear tire (the standard being 38 PSI front and 46 PSI rear for the bias ply Metzlers). I would not go back to Metzlers again however since they were slippery, would square off (essentially morphing into a car tire on its own) and some would delaminate. I guess that the Radial Metzlers could be different but the tread pattern looks the same.

So what tire pressure are people using in their E3, Bridgstones, Metzlers, Avons, etc.
I have used the E-3's fromthe start...never had any problems and run them up to 19K miles. I now run a car tire on the rear and have installed a BS on the front about 7K ago. Will not use another BS, Dunlop
E-3 will be back on the front from now on. Had Metz. on other bikes and will never use them again either. Every one has thier own ideas about things so you are the only one that you have to please, my pressures are 41 front and 44 rear. The wear is great and the only problem I've had is the BS will slip on hot tar snakes in a curve...scary but now that I now, I watch out closer for that! Enjoy your '08, I sure like mine. :congrats:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
A 1,000 bucks for that:eek:4:. Sealer in action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts