GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, as soon as I regain employment, one of the top things on my list is to get an extra rim and mount the Kumo 195/55/16 run flat. Reading the feed back on this forum has me encouraged to the possible benefits of the C/T versus the lousy M/T's that are available. I guess you can call me a Darksider Gonna-Be?

Second, after reading a previous post on a run-flat that de-laminated on the inside I must agree with the evaluation that this tire was run with no air for an extended period of time. Coming from 30 years of trucking industry experience the pics of that tire are exactly what the inside of a dual mounted truck tire looks like when one goes flat and is run beside an inflated tire for a nominal amount of miles. Heat builds up and separation occurs. A M/T would not have lasted a quarter mile.

Tire pressure monitering on the run flat seems to be the current topic of interest. Electronic pressure moniters costing between $125 and $250 seem to be popular except for the cost. As a low cost alternative has anyone had any experience with these valve caps? They simply show a warning but cost less than $15.

http://www.accu-pressure.com/

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd be concerned with the length, if they stick out to far they will rub something.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've had them and don't recommend them . They need a variation of 4 pounds to start working. To me that's too much on a MC. and that's if you happen to notice them. It then takes more than 4 pounds for the yellow to start showing. I have a boat load of them around here that I had on all my vehicles. They just don't work very well. .. Cheers. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The problem I see is this... I can easily run 375 miles between fill ups with the aux tank. Going much more then 50-75 miles would probably kill a run flat that has no air pressure. A valve stem monitor requires that you stop and get off the bike to check. A TPM system is really the only way to mitigate the risk of over running a run flat tire that has lost all its air pressure.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've got them on all the bikes and on all the cars.

I get the valve caps 2 lbs high so they show 2 lbs low. You could get them 4 lbs high so they show low at your desired pressure.

I've had good luck with them as long as I buy good quality valve covers.

The WalMart $6 didn't work well, but the NAPA $12 worked fine. Last set I got came off Ebay and cost $5 with $5 shipping, but I bought a few sets.

I visually check the bike's tires each time I ride. I check them with a tire pressure guage once a month.

I visually check the car tires each Friday morning.

A rough guage of tire pressure is fro every 10 degrees of temp change up or down, the tire pressure changes 1 psi. Radical temp changes from 80F to 30F can lower you psi 5 psi. Valve caps are an easy way to check psi.

YMMV as you hold a counter opinion to mine! I respect you opinion even if it's different from mine. I assume it's based upon a different experience.

:biker:
Looks like you are using a variety of different brands. I used the Accu- Pressure referred to in the original post ..Cheers..:doorag:
http://www.accu-pressure.com/

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have used different brands of the air pressure valve caps. There can be a difference in the quality, to be sure. I have installed a valve cap that deflated the tire. Fortunately, while it was still parked.

The valve caps are okay, but they don't give you the constant information that a TPMS does.

The caps are handy for a quick check at a fuel stop instead of getting down on the ground. You just have to rotate the wheel into a position so you can see the cap. With my remote system, I just look at the display on the receiver when I come to a stop.

I bought the Tyre-Dog some time ago and I have been happy since then. I never question the tire pressure for long and can check it in just a couple seconds while still traveling down the road. Wingstuff has the same unit at a better price. They are also made for trikes.
http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/11242_Tire_Pressure_Monitor/23662_Show_Chrome_TireGard_Tire_Air_Pressure_Monitor/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F11242_goldwing_Tire_Pressure_Monitor%2Fdes%2F

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was thinking about these for the bike. I was also worried about cheap ones that would leak air over time.

I'll check out the NAPA ones, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts