GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've written on the board, but recently I've had a question formulate in my pea sized brain. I have an 07 Wing and am wondering if it can be outfitted with the Honda tire pressure monitoring system available on the 09 models? Perhaps the question has been asked before but I've simply missed out on the discussion.

If anybody knows, please let me have the scoop!

Metric4me

·
Registered
202 Posts
I suspect it would be rather cost prohibitive unless you have tons of money to spend and it would still be difficult to get the wiring done to look exactly like "factory". There are several after market versions out that many have used satisfactorily. I have an 09 with the TPMS but that was not the "deal breaker" in getting the bike since I regularly check my air pressure anyway. It is a nice feature to alert you to problems while riding during the day.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
There is a different dash instrument control, and the tpms electronics are hidden somewhere. Get an aftermarket unit like the Doran 360M, it will allow internal or external tire installation and comes with everything you need to put it on. It also has a remote led light that you can place in a convienant location for visability. It's major advantage over the honda system is that you can change the air pressure reporting thresholds without the use of a hand held computer like is required with the honda system. Most people run 41 on front and rear and the factory setting on the front is 36psi.

There are some cheaper alternatives by about 50-70 dollars if you look in wingworld or on wingstuff's website.

Good Luck!

Daveo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Metric,

I was at the dealer today getting my rountine maint. I asked the same question to the head of the service dept. He told me that the factory TPMS is not very accurate. Its off +/- 4 pounds.

I'm definitely going with a "add on" TPMS. Just have decided which one. Hoping Advantage Pressure Pro gets their motorcycle specific product on the market soon so I can compare it to the others.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
The very best "tire pressure monitoring system " is the "Smart Tire System" but they have quit selling a system for motorcycle's due to a lack in sales...if you can find someone that has a spare "Smart Tire System" BUY IT!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Smartire Mon Systems

Vulcan Tire is now showing the in-tire sensor as being available again. I just ordered two as back ups as mine are 4 years old and you never know when you [me] might break one. They are not cheap, but available again.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Vulcan Tire is now showing the in-tire sensor as being available again. I just ordered two as back ups as mine are 4 years old and you never know when you [me] might break one. They are not cheap, but available again.
Hi Black Hat, I just checked the Vulan Tire site for a spare Smart Tire System and the order form had this on it;

SmarTire Motorcycle System /w 3rd Gen. Sensors #084.1002
Availability: Discontinued
This item is no longer available.

Did you order on line or by phone?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have TireGard, I find it works great, I'd say +- .5 lb. The sensors are valve stem caps, can be moved bike to bike in minutes. long battery life, displays pressure and/or temp, you can set high and low warnings if desired, auto shut off. just press a button before you mount to check pressure, you may have to roll bike a few feet to reset from last ride, but I have seen it reset by just waiting 15-30 seconds. Watch pressure rise as tires warm up, so far in about 70 deg riding the pressure rises 4-5 lbs. One of the best investments I've made for my Wing @ about $160.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tpms

I ordered online, but it didn't say anything about being discontinued. I'll give them a shot back and see what happens. It took my order normally and gave me a receipt. Go figure!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just got the TMPS from Genes Gallery for 139. Will hook it up this week.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Metric,

I was at the dealer today getting my rountine maint. I asked the same question to the head of the service dept. He told me that the factory TPMS is not very accurate. Its off +/- 4 pounds.

I'm definitely going with a "add on" TPMS. Just have decided which one. Hoping Advantage Pressure Pro gets their motorcycle specific product on the market soon so I can compare it to the others.
?
The 2009 factory TPMS does not display the actual tire pressure...........it only alerts the rider if either tire is 5% or 10% low.
Safety item only........which is the only way I use it, even if it did show the presure readout.

Not sure how he could make a statement that it's off +/- 4 pounds.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tpms

I just tried the Vulcan Tire site again and although it shows the "Smartire System" discontinued, it is showing the sensors as being availabe for $79 each.
Oldly enough, Vulcan Tire does NOT show a land line number. This is not good! The charge has not showed up on my credit card as yet, but I will keep an eye on it all day and let you know one way or the other.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased the Showchrome Tiregard from Russellville Ark. Honda this last weekend. $149.99 plus tax. Love it. I will have to adjust the high pressure alarm as at first I set it 48. This morning it went from a cold 42.5 to 48. So far I am very satisfied. Steve Short, Fair Grove, MO

·
Registered
200 Posts
SS I installed without reading the manual being its winter, I did similar to you setting with same result. I looked in manual and no chart as to what to expect in pressure and temp rise. Maybe a web search will do it, just haven't gottin around to it yet. somewhere must be hi/low pressure and temps as to what to expect. so we can set these up correctly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tpms

Vulcan Tire just sent me an email saying the Smartire "sensors" that I ordered ARE still available, but the total systems are NOT. They said they would ship them "shortly", what ever that means, a week, a month, who knows.

·
Registered
341 Posts
smartire

We have been using the Smartire system for two years, it has saved us more than once, liked the system so much that I found a new system on e-bay bought it when I learned they quit making the Smartire.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The one I bought on e-bay was the same brand : Smartire the first one I bought from Wingstuff and them I learned they quit making them so I was worried about having replacement parts so I found and bought the same system on e-bay. It has been about 2 years ago. I have looked on e-bay and could not find anymore. I think now there some other and maybe better systems on the market now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts