GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started out at 38 PSI in my Kumho, bike rode very good, I dropped it down to 32 and the bike seemed like it wanted wander all over, (maybe just me), back up to 35, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Anyone have a magic pressure for the 195/55/16 Kumho RF?
Seems better at the higher pressure, but I don't want to wear the center out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
pressure

I hae always kept mine at 38-40 lbs. It rides great and you can look for wear pattern after a short ride. I now have 10400 miles on my latest tire and it is wearing just great,in fact I can't see any signs of wear at all.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hae always kept mine at 38-40 lbs. It rides great and you can look for wear pattern after a short ride. I now have 10400 miles on my latest tire and it is wearing just great,in fact I can't see any signs of wear at all.

Witch tire are you running?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I settled in at 34. Moved to 35 with the triple digits, but its my feel good spot. I don't think there is a magic number. Folks claim 28 to 30 perhaps lower or higher, but it is their feel good spot that counts for them. Some seem a bit obsessed with the wear of the tire, but that is in their comfort zone, so to each his own.

I felt like the tire was rolling over in curves, not sure how to define that but didn't like it so up went the pressure.

Enjoy the tire. I have tested the waters, so to speak, and have yet to make it slip or do anything unpredictable. I am sure it could be done, but it would be well over the limits I ride.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well I started out at 38 PSI in my Kumho, bike rode very good, I dropped it down to 32 and the bike seemed like it wanted wander all over, (maybe just me), back up to 35, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Anyone have a magic pressure for the 195/55/16 Kumho RF?
Seems better at the higher pressure, but I don't want to wear the center out.
I just installed a Kuhmo 195/55 RF 16 to go along with the Bridgestone BT45 thats been on for a couple of months. I have been running the Kuhmo at 32 psi and have noticed what I would describe as the rear tire squirming in corners. I plan on increasing the pressure a couple of psi at a time until it settles down. I would much prefer a better handling bike/tire than worry about wear patterns.

But right now my overall impression is that the move to the Kuhmo RF was the right thing to do. I'm looking forward to two to three times the miles out of the BT 45 and Kuhmo as I was used to getting out of the 704/709 Bridgestone tires.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
John, you can get a can of white shoe polish and put a couple inch stripe all the way across the tread. Ride it for a short distance in a straight line and check the wear pattern. Then adjust pressure to what suits you. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have read many times on here that the RF psi is suggested to be 32-34. I started at 32, liked the ride but my riding style needed more. Went to 33 with better handling and still smooth ride but wanted more in the handling department. Went to 34 and settled in with that, and yes 1 psi each makes a difference.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I went through a half dozen or so of the Kumho run-flat with 32 psi providing even wear, with no squirm at blistering paces through the twisties (or anywhere else). However, I am a lightweight so that may be the difference.

On day one I started @ 30...didn't like it. Then went to 34 and gradually lowered psi to settle in on 32. Maybe that is what you'll will have to do. Just be cautious. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of CT tires removed from these bikes have premature center wear due to over inflation. But hey, if that what it takes to suit your style, then it is what it is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
John, you can get a can of white shoe polish and put a couple inch stripe all the way across the tread. Ride it for a short distance in a straight line and check the wear pattern. Then adjust pressure to what suits you. :thumbup::thumbup:

The Kumho is a CAR TIRE.....does anyone inflate their CAR TIRES TO 38 psi cold?

Car tires will blow out under high pressure.

I recommend that the shoe polish method be used both before and after a longish ride because my Kumho is kept at 32 psi cold and quickly becomes 37 psi after a few miles on a hot pavement (according to the TireGard TPMS). I believe that if I started at 38 psi, the pressure might increase to 43 psi and therefore give a rougher ride as well as premature wear.

I find that by keeping the pressure at around 32 psi cold I can handle the bike much better at very low speed such as stop and go traffic of long traffic lights. I believe that the wide flatness of the Kumho makes this happen. Prior to the Kumho I found it difficult, during practice, to ride a straight line in 1st gear at idle rpm. Much easier now.

I can ride perfectly straight at 55 mph and have practiced doing so to break up the boredom and keep concentration during LD or IBA rides.

Yes, the bike will feel a little more "squirmy" during a high speed sweeper than it would with a high pressure MC tire but like the doctor says "if it don't feel good or hurts while doing that, DON'T DO IT" :p

:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yes they do! I ran my General G-Max at 47psi for the twisties!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yes they do! I ran my General G-Max at 47psi for the twisties!

Not familiar with that one. Is it a run flat or a non run flat?

Design pressure on side of tire?

And why 47psi? 47psi cold? Hot day and hot pavement?

Ahhh yes.......the cat and curiosity (my curiosity):p

·
Registered
374 Posts
I preferred 36 in the Kumho. No uneven wear when I changed it at 19K.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
but like the doctor says "if it don't feel good or hurts while doing that, DON'T DO IT" :p

Oh so much more than learning about darksiding here,I wish somebody would have told me this about 40 years ago;)

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Ok, this is good info to know...

Been running 32psi in my Kumho since day one, but have always had a bit of a problem holding a good steady line in the twisties... Since I am a dainty little thing at 6'5" at 340lbs or so a bump up to 34-36 psi may be worth a try....

Bike is already pretty heavy at 1070lbs with all the farkles I've added over the years... :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think 36 is going to my my number, rode today at that pressure and it's all good.
500 miles and counting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I think 36 is going to my my number, rode today at that pressure and it's all good.
500 miles and counting. :thumbup:

Are you going to do the white shoe polish test? I think that I will and also increase to 33 to see how the line holds on twisties and sweepers.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Not familiar with that one. Is it a run flat or a non run flat?

Design pressure on side of tire?

And why 47psi? 47psi cold? Hot day and hot pavement?

Ahhh yes.......the cat and curiosity (my curiosity):p

Yes, non run flat.
The G-Max has the neatest tread design I've seen. But to go with that it had the flimsiest sidewalls of any tire I've seen also! Max psi on the tire is 51psi. I had to run 47psi cold because it flexed to much for me. It is a tire I would not recommend. I am going to use it for commuting around the house this winter where the bike will be in a more upright position and no stress, and at 42psi!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you going to do the white shoe polish test? I think that I will and also increase to 33 to see how the line holds on twisties and sweepers.

Going to give it try, polish on and Leroy Burger here I come. :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts