GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about how your tires pressure up when riding in hot weather/surfaces. My question is how much pressure is too much? I would have thought that since you filled your tires cold that the manufactures would have calculated the pressure increase to their design and therefore able to withstand higher temps. I just ordered the Doran TMPS and will now be able to see tire pressure I should know when enough is enough.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You pretty much have it. Put it to a cold pressure and run with it. If you think it is too hot, I have no idea what too hot is other than falling apart, put in a touch more. Don't let air ot of a hot tire.

A rule of thumb is if the pressure goes much over a 10% increase you may be underinflated. Rears seem to adjust 15% or a bit more per some of our members, I guess it doesn't get enough air for cooling. I haven't had that dramatic of an increase after 20ish highway miles, and haven't checked them after 100. I guess I'm just not that anal. Good enough is good enough.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've been running the Doran TPMS for some time on a Bridgestone 709 on front and a Dunlop E3 70 on back. I set the pressure cold at 40 front 42 rear. The pressure begins to climb within a mile and on a pleasant day may add 4-5 psi on the front and 5-7 psi on the rear. These pressures increase at highway speeds. On a hot day running 65-70 I noticed the front was up 5 psi but the rear had hit 51 psi or a 9 psi increase (riding 2 up and no, not overloaded). The tires are designed to handle this. The maximum pressure on the sidewall is the cold pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts