GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to ride to lunch today and got about a block from home when I notice the tire pressure indicator light was on. I turned around and went directly home and checked the tire pressure. The front was 40 psi and rear was 41 psi. By the time I got through checking the tire pressure, the indicator light was off. If it makes any difference, the temperature was 61 degrees.

Anyone else have this happen? What's the deal? Is there a failure code for malfunctioning sensors?

·
Registered
166 Posts
how many miles was it from the time you took off to the time you got back to the house? a short ride could have warmed up the tire enough to bring it up to pressure. five pounds low will activate the light. it has happened to me on several occasions. cooler day with your tires a little low then a few miles later the tires heat up and the light goes off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes there is... its not a great one but it does work. light comes on at 5lbs low, light flashes at 10lbs low. mine works well and has saved my @#$ already. i picked up a nail in my rear tire at 4500 mi. light came on figured i was just a little low. light started to flash, so i pulled over and checked. sure enough 10lbs low and getting lower pretty quickly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My TPMS light went on twice when i first bought my 2012 and each time I stopped and checked my pressure it went off, both times my pressure was right on. Never happened again.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My TPMS light went on twice when i first bought my 2012 and each time I stopped and checked my pressure it went off, both times my pressure was right on. Never happened again.
That's what happened to me.

how many miles was it from the time you took off to the time you got back to the house? a short ride could have warmed up the tire enough to bring it up to pressure. five pounds low will activate the light. it has happened to me on several occasions. cooler day with your tires a little low then a few miles later the tires heat up and the light goes off.
I was only 1 block from home when I noticed the indicator light was on. It was very likely on when I left home but just didn't notice it. The temperature was 61 degrees and I don't think the tires had a chance to build up any pressure in 1 block.

In any case, that was the first time that happened and I will mention it to the service department next Wednesday when I take it in to get a new All Ball head bearing installed.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I was going to ride to lunch today and got about a block from home when I notice the tire pressure indicator light was on. I turned around and went directly home and checked the tire pressure. The front was 40 psi and rear was 41 psi. By the time I got through checking the tire pressure, the indicator light was off. If it makes any difference, the temperature was 61 degrees.

Anyone else have this happen? What's the deal? Is there a failure code for malfunctioning sensors?
Which indicator came on? The low pressure indicator (looks like a tire) or the TPMS indicator (reads TPMS). The low pressure indicator only comes on when it believes the pressure is low. If it came on then it isn't a battery issue, it is a calibration issue (more than likely). You can test this by putting the sensors into "test" mode (inflate tire to 51+ psi for 1 minute). You can then alter the tire pressure and see when the "low pressure" indicator illuminates. Be sure to go for a short ride when you are done. The bike needs to be going 9+ mph for 4 minutes to get the sensor out of test mode. If the sensor stays in test mode, you'll run the wheel sensor battery down prematurely.

If the TPMS indicator came on, then yes there is a code that is stored and it would tell you which wheel sensor was having the issue. The issues it comes on for is (low battery signal from wheel sensor for ~10 minutes, no signal after ~10 minutes of riding, incorrect data being sent by wheel sensor for a few minutes).

·
Registered
449 Posts
On my '12, the actual TPMS light came on once and stayed on for about 20 miles. It then went off and never came on again while I owned the motorcycle. The dealer told me if it occurred again, they would change out the module that receives the informstion from the sensors. Never had another issue after that one occurance. The ( ) light came on a couple of times. Each of those times, I had low pressure in one of the tires. Don't have those issues anymore, Honda did not put a TPMS on the F6B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might want to try a new gauge. I had a similar problem and it turns out that the gauge I was using was about seven pounds off. They do go bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts