GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of the (LDL) tire pressure sensor used on the 2009 Wing. Notice the hole in it. I don't think it would be wise to run Dynabeads in a tire that has these sensors in it, as the bead might get inside the sensor and ruin it.

And here is the (LDL) sensor used in my 2008 Kawasaki Concours.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks Fred, I've been looking at the Kisan TPMS. I still haven't figured out if its compatible with Dyna Beads. I also would like to get a second set of transmitter/valve stems for a second set of wheels.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, I've been looking at the Kisan TPMS. I still haven't figured out if its compatible with Dyna Beads. I also would like to get a second set of transmitter/valve stems for a second set of wheels.
I have a spare set of wheels in my garage and would really like to use them on the 09. I would have to make a very slight modification to the outside of the rim to remove the old metal tang for the plastic support elbow, and buy a second set of tire pressure sensors from Honda. The real problem is that you have to register the sensors codes into the receiver in the bike, and according to the manual, you need a special transponder tool to do that. You can't simply learn the code like you can on SmarTire and other systems by spinning the wheel to activate the sensor. It appears the sensors are shipped in a "sleep state" and the only way to bring them out of it is with this special "transponder", though the details are a little sketchy to me how it works. This transponder apparently wakes them up and causes them to transmit their code.

It's easy enough to put the reciever in the "Learn Mode" by shorting two pins together on a connector (page 26-8 in the 09 manual). The hard part is figuring out how to make the transponders come out of sleep and transmit.

I may go ahead abd order some and see if I can figure out a way to make it work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fred, I bought the aftermarket sensors from LDL to replace the Smartire sensors, which at 2 occassions got a broken sensor by tire installer. As I have a spare rear wheel I also bought another LDL sensor. The procedure to match this sensor with the gauge is to spin the wheel on a balancer and use specific engaging on the guage to match these. It does not requir specific engagement of the sensor, other then spinning the wheel. How this would work on your 2009 or concours, probably needs specific setting of the gauge also.

BTW, I only removed the small tip for the plastic valve holder on the rear wheel to be able to have it point in same direction as OEM. On the front wheel I did not remove it.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Fred, I bought the aftermarket sensors from LDL to replace the Smartire sensors, which at 2 occassions got a broken sensor by tire installer.
I wasn't aware we could use other sensors with the Smartire system. That's good info to have. ;)

However, I'm curious: How do those things attach to the wheel? Is that silver, hex-headed thing in the center a bolt that's been threaded through a hole drilled into the wheel? Surely they're not just stuck on with tape or glue... as the centrifugal force of the wheel would tear them away, right?

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred, I bought the aftermarket sensors from LDL to replace the Smartire sensors, which at 2 occassions got a broken sensor by tire installer. As I have a spare rear wheel I also bought another LDL sensor. The procedure to match this sensor with the gauge is to spin the wheel on a balancer and use specific engaging on the guage to match these. It does not requir specific engagement of the sensor, other then spinning the wheel. How this would work on your 2009 or concours, probably needs specific setting of the gauge also.

BTW, I only removed the small tip for the plastic valve holder on the rear wheel to be able to have it point in same direction as OEM. On the front wheel I did not remove it.

Interesting. I have been wondering if that Tire Watch system LDL sells would pair up with the existing sensor on the 09 so I could have a pressure readout. I just haven't busted loose of the $400 or so to buy one so I can test my theory, but I bet it will work.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Interesting. I have been wondering if that Tire Watch system LDL sells would pair up with the existing sensor on the 09 so I could have a pressure readout. I just haven't busted loose of the $400 or so to buy one so I can test my theory, but I bet it will work.
Fred, as I started reading this thread, I was going to ask if you had any idea how to make that work.

I don't care to pony up $400 myself, but maybe we can find a cheaper alternative - or maybe the mfr will make you a deal on a set to try it out. Think what it would do for their sales!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fred, a thought on this...
All the major tool players, Snap-On, Mac... have transponders that will ping the sensor and cause it to transmit its code to the tool.
Maybe if you have a friend who is a tech, and has access to these tools, they could be of help.
However the automotive ones have to be registered to the module either with that tool or through a scan tool.
They also have a label on them with the sensor ID, it usually a string of 8 characters, that can be manually enterd into the module, but again, via a scan tool.
My idea/theory is this....Perhaps if you had somebody ping the sensor to get it to transmit code, and simultaneously put the module into learn mode, the module would capture the code.
Before we were shipped the tools, we would copy the code off the sensor, enter it into the module, and then drive the car.
The way I understand it is.. the sensors will go into sleep mode, after a certain amount of time with no activity, eg. wheel spinning... and spinning the wheel above a certain speed, will bring them out of sleep mode. I am also fairly certain they transmit code every time to the module.
Perhaps, mounting the sensor on the rear wheel, with no tire, put the module into learn mode, and run the rear tire to get the sensor to transmit, and repeat for the other, then mount the tires.
I think the "transponder" they talk about is nothing more than one of these tools, and I don't know of any sensors that are shipped in any "special" sleep state.
Without having looked at a circuit diagram, and knowing if ID's have to be registered through the data connector on the bike, might be worth trying.
I'm just throwing out some ideas for you, I am not familiar with the specifics of the Honda system, and at work we use the OEM tools provided by the manufacturers. That being said, the Chrysler tool is kind of what I am basing this on, because that tool will capture all sensor data, ID, pressure, temp. and so forth, maybe if you did that out of the tire, close to the module... who knows, might work, or might give you another idea.
One more thought, how many ID's will the module accept?
Without some way of viewing all this data, it makes it difficult.
Appreciate all the work and effort you put into this, I have certainly learned from your posts, and have done some of the tips and tricks you post.
Thank you for that.:bow:
(My recent favorite.. the passenger volume and PTT. I was ready to shell out for one, thanks to you the PTT will cost me about $4 to make and install myself. Already, tried and jumped that connector together, all you need is a momentary contact switch, and a suitable mounting location!)
For that alone.. you the man..

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.Perhaps if you had somebody ping the sensor to get it to transmit code, and simultaneously put the module into learn mode, the module would capture the code.
If you have the 09 service manual it outlines the procedure for memorizing the tire pressure sensor ID on page 26-16. All you do is turn on the key, short to wires in a connector to put the receiver into the learn mode, and the use the transponder to make the sensors transmit.

It may be possible to spin the wheels and make them transmit IF the sensors are not in the "shipping mode" (see page 26-5) to save the batteries during shipping. If they are, the transponder will be needed to initially activate them. New sensors received from the dealer will arrive in the "shipping mode".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts