GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....When doing long haul trips you find yourself riding some days all highway miles and some days all mountain/twisty roads....

:?: Question: Should you each day change your tire pressure to match the roads you will drive on...if so...what would you change them too...

Highway....higher or lower pressure

Mountain....I assume lower pressure to give you more grip...

Thoughts...

Safe Rides....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rider Steve...I do hear what you are say, however I do check my tire pressure every morning when out on a trip....so changing the tire pressure would be of little effort...but thanks for the heads up...Safe Rides

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
It has been my experience that changing my air pressure to a lower air pressure 4 twistys is not beneficial as I have noticed 0 loss of available traction with normal tire pressure.

My view is such that a lower tire pressures on the goldwings for twistys will do little more than get the tires hotter.

Tire brand does absolutely matter. I do not like a match set of bridgestone nor a matched set of metzlers but I love a bridgestone front tire and metzler rear tire. I am a very aggressive rider with and without a trailer riding 1 and 2 up.

Do what you feel is best for your machine but I do not alter my tire pressure.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It has been my experience that changing my air pressure to a lower air pressure 4 twistys is not beneficial as I have noticed 0 loss of available traction with normal tire pressure.

My view is such that a lower tire pressures on the goldwings for twistys will do little more than get the tires hotter.

Tire brand does absolutely matter. I do not like a match set of bridgestone nor a matched set of metzlers but I love a bridgestone front tire and muffler rear tire. I am a very aggressive rider with and without a trailer riding 1 and 2 up.

Do what you feel is best for your machine but I do not alter my tire pressure.

OK, now who makes Muffler tires??? :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Use the tire mfg suggestion as a start, add 2 lbs for trailer or 2 up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
max air pressure listed on sidewall of a given tire,,put 3 lbs LESS air in the tire cold. this is what any tire "engineer' will tell you to run.
leave it at that.
i would guess they have crunched more realistic numbers in regards to tire "stuff" than anyone here,including dummy me,,,,:).

take care,
bc

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Use the tire mfg suggestion as a start, add 2 lbs for trailer or 2 up.
+1 and I do not otherwise alter the pressure.

·
Registered
589 Posts
With the tire pressure monitor working on absolute pressure, one must often have a higher pressure at 6,000+ feet than at lower elevations. I found on my Acura that +4 psi would get the TPMS to quit sqawking. That was the Acura dealers suggestion.

I use 42 psi in front and 44 psi in the rear all the time and it works for me. So far the TPMS has yet to complain.

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I took the Lee Parks Total Control course they had us remove about 3 psi from our tires front and back. The idea being that it would increase the contact patch. However, since then I have been practicing the same exercises with my normal 41/42 I have not noticed any difference in traction and I'm much more aggressive than on class day. Also the speeds on a range are much lower than on the road. I would worry more about the tires overheating and causing tread separation than the potential loss of a little traction. I would think that unless you are an extremely aggressive rider that is pushing the limits of traction, I would leave the tire pressure alone and leave it at what you usually keep it at.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Check the tire pressure and tires each morning and ride ... period.

Donnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts