GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tire pressure is most common (cold psi) for tires and what is the expected rise in psi typical while riding highway 65-75 mph. Knowing that it is stated 1 psi per 10 degree in temp rise, at 70 degree temp starting.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I run 38 in the front. 40 in the rear. Typically a 10% increase is optimal. 38 PSI in the front will most of the time, unless very hot, yield a 41-42 PSI when hot. Rear was always much the same.
I use an alternate rear now, but use the same 10% formula. About the only thing you can do is not ride or increase air pressure when it is hot.

I am sure there are plenty of other ideas out there.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Sorry, but there is no right choice here. You can pick a number and 10 will swear it's right and 10 more that's it's wrong. Just go with the recommendation printed on the sticker under trunk lid and adjust to your liking.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What tire pressure is most common (cold psi) for tires and what is the expected rise in psi typical while riding highway 65-75 mph. Knowing that it is stated 1 psi per 10 degree in temp rise, at 70 degree temp starting.
Not sure on the "most common" pressure but I would guess it is between Honda's recomenation of 36F/41R and the tire manufacturer's recommendations which are normally the max psi stamped on the sidewall (40F/41-2R).

My front tire run at 40 usually gains about 4lbs at highway speeds and moderate temps in the 70s.

The rear moto tire (Stone G704) at 41 would gain 8lbs at 60F running only 45mph and zero luggage. I'm guessing it would easily push north of 10+ lbs in the 70s running at Interstate speeds. I bet it would be north of 12lbs if the temps and road surface were hot.

My current rear tire at 30psi runs close to the same pressure increase as the front in 70s on the interstate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tpms

Been looking at putting a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on, I dont want one that screws on the valve stem, thats just asking for trouble, any recommendations

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doran and Kisan make TPM systems.

·
Vendor
18,702 Posts
Not sure on the "rise" or most common pressure. As for the correct pressure, that is an easy answer. What ever it says on the tire sticker in the trunk or the tire pressure as listed in your Owners Manual. Federal Law requires the sticker and it printed in the Owners Manual. The Law also makes it the responsibility of the vehical manufacture to do all the safty testing to determine the correct air pressure.

Some will listen to the tire manufactures such as Dunlop at a rally. Which is fine, but they are not the ones accountable by the DOT as to what pressure to run. So they can say anything they want. That is about the equivalent to listening to Tom, Dick, or Harry.

I think you will find your sticker states 36 frt 41 rear. Some people only look at the long milage picture while Honda has to consider contact patch sizes needed for braking and handling in a wider window of situations. Therefore, there is only one correct answer here. Read the sticker in the trunk.

"Cold" is sitting for 4 hours and/or less then 1 mile of riding.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have noticed on a few tire manufacturers sites that cold is considered to be in the 60 - 70 degree range. At that ambient temperature I aim for 36, with the understanding that even though I try to regularly check my guages to make sure they are acccurate..they can easily be off a pound or two in either direction. So I guess my real front pressure is in the 35 to 37 range...but hopefully right in the middle of that range.

At motels, I try to park where I will still be in the shade when I am loading up and checking tires. If they are in the sun for an hour on an already warm day, then you do get a slightly higher reading....maybe a pound or two at the most. Just something to keep in mind.

I try and make sure the ambient air temp is 70 or below when I am checking tire pressures. I won't have a cow if it's warmer than that, but my control temperature for the most accurate "cold" readings is in that aprox 65 degree target zone.

Also, I can feel the drop off in grip if I put 40 or more in the front. I am not as good on the other end...I can't tell easily if I am getting too much sidewall deflection when I drop the pressure below 36psi. And of course, once I go racing around to see how it feels...well the damn tires are no longer cold of course. I should really get 4 or 5 front wheel sets to switch out and experiment. Oh wait. That would cost money. Damn again. :eek:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
No possible way to answer about "hot pressure", due to so many varibles. (weight, speed, temp, road surface, etc) But most people keep them 38-42 cold range, to my knowledge. I prefer 38/40 as min., so 40/42 when checking for me, and refill at 38/40 zone. Leaks enough for refill about 30-45 days.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I try to keep mine 39/41, based on 65*. I watch 'em with a smartire system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't forget that tires are part of your suspension. The more pressure the stiffer the ride and vice versa. I think we all know that Honda prints a lower number on the sticker to satisfy technical needs (as mentioned earlier in this thread), but also to provide the most comfortable ride.

I personally can’t tell the difference, so I try to run with higher numbers under normal circumstances and even higher with two up (haven’t heard anyone talk about one versus two people).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts