GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready for a trip and need to check the trailer tire pressure. They are carlisle 4.80 X 8 . Can't seem to make heads or tails out of what is on the tires.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have 4.80x12 6 ply tires on my trailer and I run them at 22PSI. At 25PSI the middle started wearing faster than the edge. We have a lot of stuff in the trailer but nothing super heavy. With a tire temp and pressure system on the bike that monitors the trailer also, they have never gotten over 110 degrees. One way to tell the correct pressure is to drive thru water with the trailer fully loaded and look at the tire print on the dry surface. It should be even across the thread. If you can see more of the center but not the edges, the pressure is too high.The opposite indicates low pressure. Hope this helps. Pat

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have a HF Tag-Along, and the tires that came with it say 60 PSI cold....that's right, sixty!:22yikes: I wasn't going THAT high, so I settled on 50. I think that you should follow what is recommended by the maunfacturer, and it is always on the side of the tire.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Open this link

Tire pressures are marked on all tires that the manufacturer recommends you operate at. I have a link that you need to open to see typical pressures for the tires size you have.
Go by this and not what others are telling you. Too low a pressure and you get heat which is the cause of most tire failures.

http://www.easternmarine.com/8-and-10-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a dart trailer, the tires say 90 PSI. The center of the tires where wore out when I bought it. I installed new tires. The manufacturer tag on the front of the trailer behind the cooler says, tire pressure should be set at 25 PSI. I set them at 25 PSI. Put over 3000 miles on the new tires going to Wingding and they wore even. Someone that I ride with got 30,000 miles out of his 8 inch tires on his trailer at 25 PSI. That was what the manufacturer of his trailer recommend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a HF Tag-Along, and the tires that came with it say 60 PSI cold....that's right, sixty!:22yikes: I wasn't going THAT high, so I settled on 50. I think that you should follow what is recommended by the maunfacturer, and it is always on the side of the tire.
Mine say 60 on the sidewall as well but if I had run them at that I would have no tire left. As I said, I run them at 25 psi and they still look new.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
dont let the pressure get to you

I am pretty sure the manufacturer is calling it the "operating range" which is like 5 to one million PSI...or until you hear a pop.. I see on that website it even says Maximum pressure is 60... POP!!

I have collected up some "stats" unscientifically when i went to events for the 4 x 12 tires. 22-28 seems to be the range with 25 being the favored.

you are on track though, watching the wear and see what is working.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Wet the drive way then pull the trailer over the wet payment and look at tread pattern, repeat until you get 100% tread contact with the payment, too much air will cause the tire to wear in the middle, too little air will cause the tire to wear on the outside of the tire.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

Tire pressures are marked on all tires that the manufacturer recommends you operate at. I have a link that you need to open to see typical pressures for the tires size you have.
Go by this and not what others are telling you. Too low a pressure and you get heat which is the cause of most tire failures.

http://www.easternmarine.com/8-and-10-Trailer-Tire-Rim/
Good info if you are hauling 1180 pounds,, The printed MAX Air Pressure on the side wall is also for MAX Weight, which in this case is 1180#'s or 590 per tire. Just like any other trailer, one should adjust the pressure to the weight, and know the optimum empty weight pressure for a particular trailer.

I also use the water on the drive way trick, but normally just put in 22 to 24 pounds and call it good ( that is where all of the load testing came in at )

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
The reason that a tire manufacturer puts a Max PSI inflation on the sidewall is to cover their arse. That tire could be used in 100 different applications and usually the car, trailer, etc. manufacturer will specify what psi to inflate for optimum performance. I run about 22-25 psi in my Kwik Kamp 8" tires and that works for me. The 'water on the driveway" will give you a good guideline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts