GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
160 lb. trailer, 4:80X12, 4ply rated tires, side walls advise 60 lbs. max PSI. Spring suspension(two leafs, third middle leaf removed) with approx. 50-100 lbs, cargo. What tire press would be a good balance? I started at 60 psi and am now down to 40psi.with no noticeable difference in ride. Many years with a Bushtec at 35psi. all the time.

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
Try 25 run my camper ( heavy ) and my starlight (lite) torsion susp. 25 also . Nothing wrong with 40 but think you'll find center tire wears "fast " !

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
926 Posts
As stated above... you should be closer to 22-30psi Your tire is rated at max load. Where do you fall with your anticipated load relative to the tire max load weight? Reduce accordingly. B.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I remember an "old timers remedy". Take a piece of Chalk and draw a wide line across the tread. Take the trailer for a short ride. See how the chalk has worn off. When it is worn evenly across the tread you have reached the proper pressure for your current load.
Worn in the center=too much air.
Worn on the outside=not enough air.

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
I remember an "old timers remedy". Take a piece of Chalk and draw a wide line across the tread. Take the trailer for a short ride. See how the chalk has worn off. When it is worn evenly across the tread you have reached the proper pressure for your current load.
"GOOD OLE TIMERS " !! :serious::grin2:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Another method is to put some water on the driveway and run the trailer through it. Check the pattern after the water.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
When I had a similar trailer with the 12 inch tires I ran 20 lbs. and that worked pretty good.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Heck I use this to set tire pressure on my truck.. Toyota sets the pressure to give a cushy test ride, not long tire life...

Reactions: Big Tom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts