GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock tires on my 04. The book says 36 psi front, 41 psi rear. Do you agree with these pressures?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Manufactures Recommended

I personally always go with the tire manufactures recommendations over what a motorcycle manufacture may think or be recommending.

Then, I run at the maximum they recommend. I do this will all of my vehicles, running high quality performance tires and getting satisfactory wear and performance.

B

·
0 Posts
Tire Pressure

I run 41 in both front and rear...........Bill 8)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Dunlop recommends 38 front, 41 rear, they consider a lot of variables in their recommendations, and recommend the pressure that should give the best overall performance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tar Pressure

I think as ah group we've purty much come ta th conclusion that 36 lbs in th front tar is good fer comfort but seems to allow th front tar ta cup more & sooner. I'm havin good results with 41 lbs front & rear usin th Metzlers, i've used th Brigstones, Dunlops & Metzlers & they all seem ta work better fer me with at least 41lbs front & rear if not 42 lbs. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just remember Stapler101, Ron has to have more pressure than most of us to protect his rims on those hard after flight landings :eek:4:

:rat: Bake (38F/41R)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've run all three of the major brands and have had the best success with 41psi front & rear. The Metzlers definitely beat the other 2 hands down for wearability as well as wet & dry traction IMHO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run my Metzler at sidewall pressure of 42psi. I got 18k out of the front Metz and 22.5k out of the rear - and that's pulling a loaded Bunkhouse for about 10k of those. The set of Metz I have on now seem to be wearing about the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO there's way too much emphisis on precise air pressure. People seem to argue over the merrits of 3 or 4 pounds of COLD air pressure. That would possibly make sense if the tires operated at the cold pressure, but, they don't. There's a great deal of difference between the operating pressure of a tire serviced to 41 cold psi on a 40 degree autum morning and the operating pressure of a tire serviced to 40 cold psi an a 80 degree summer morning. Compound that with the variations you get from one tire gauge to another and you have a wide range. I have three gauges and they all read the same tire differently. There's 6 lbs difference in them. How do you know which one is reading correctly? I have never heard what the pressure specs are for a tire under "operating" conditions. It seems to me that anything in the 35 to 45 cold psi range would give good performance and tire life. The main thing is to keep them checked and maintain a reasonable pressure. I'm sure I'll get a lot of grief over this, but, until I see some "operating temperature" data this is my opinion on tire pressure.

But, then, you know what they say about opinions.

Jerry A.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The tire manufacturers specs for tire pressure are with cold tires, of course they will heat up with riding, but check them cold before riding. Talking with the Dunlop reps last summer they told me they are seeing some tires damaged by too much pressure, several of the tire problems I have read about on the various boards can be caused by running tire pressures too high, there is a tire pressure marked on the sidewall of the tire, the Dunlop reps said that is the absolute maximum tire pressure, and to never exceed that pressure on cold tires, exceeding that pressure can cause tire damage.

They said their main problem is the riders who don't check their tire pressures often enough, and ruin the tires by running underinflated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts