GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice here. Manual says 36 front 41 back. My dealer and several I've seen on this board say 41 in front also. What do you all think is best and why.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Most here will run about 41 41. There are numerous posts floating around out there.

The why is to keep cupping down, extend the tire life. The downside is a little harsher ride. I like the tradeoff.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I run Avons and was told by one of their engineers to run 42 front and 43-44 in rear. Is working very well for me. The first front tire I have had with 9,000+ and no cupping.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
For years now I have run 41-41 in all of my Wings, however, in the past few months I've boosted it to 44-44. It does cause you to feel the road more, but, WOW! the bike feels so much more nimble and quick - flickable. It's like it dropped a couple hundred pounds. And, with 13k on the front and 11k on the rear of the current E3's, it looks like they're good for at least another 5k.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
At the Hoot this year in Knoxville.. i visited the Dunlop booth.. after talking to the rep there... he recommeded running 2 lbs lower than maxium listed on the sidewall of the tire..according to the Dunlop factory rep.. said inflating a tire more will reduce the footprint of the tire where it contacts the road... thus reducing traction .. especially when the road is wet..

cosmic

G

·
41 41 here. I got the advice from EagleEye when we first met and really like the difference. I have messed with higher and lower pressures, just for fun, but for me the best is still 41's.

Pat

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I run 42 front 44 reear on E3-70 Tires. Got 23,000 on the last set with rubber left, especially the rear. It would have gone another 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Always have a Tailwind trailer on the bike.

Have a tire at 14,000 miles on the back now with a plug in it. Ran it flat for approximately 100 miles.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
i ran one set of Bridgestones 42 front and 43 rear

that extra pound of air shortened my tire life by about 3,000 smiles compared to any of my previous Bridgestones, i won't be doing that again

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey Cycledude it seems that 41/42 work the best in the Stones for me too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
cycledude,

What do you run in the 'stones now?

Mike :s13:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I run 41/41 in my Stones. 21,000 on the front. 15,000 on the rear easily.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tom F. I am glad you posted your mileage. I got 26,000 from my last set. I run 41-41 on my E 3s 70 series. I have the paperwork to prove my mileage but still can't convence my riding friends the mileage is correct. They say I forgot to write down the mileage from a tire change. I'm going to keep running 41 -41 and E 3 70 series regardless of what other tire pressures are used .
Say BigC45, I really like your avatar. I still have ' Bush/cheney bumper sticker on my car.

Dave

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Dave, all of my miles are with the Tailwind on the back. I changed at 23,000 because of a trip. I was not down to the wear bars but close on the front. The back had lots to go.

The E3s (70s) are one of the biggest safety features to be added in a long time, like the ABS was.

I have had two rear tires and one front that have been ridden completely flat wile pulling the trailer, without knowing they were flat. The last one was Sunday before last, when Sheila and another Wing rider were along in the twisty back roads north of San Antonio.

I decided to plug the rear tire which has 14,000 miles on it now and between 100 and 200 miles on a flat. I got a second rear wheel and have a new tire on it, so if I have to go on a trip I will change wheels, and just keep using the plugged tire locally until it wears out. I want to do that for two reasons. One is to test the viability of running a plugged tire for long distances, and the other is to find out if running the tire flat did any damage leading to failure.

We put the new E3 70 on the rim ourselves today at a friend's house that had a budget manual changer. It was an interesting exercise. He had a precisioin balancer also. We swung the empty wheel first to find out where its heavy side was, and balanced it alone. Then we mounted the tire with its marked light spot and verified that it was correctly marked, which it was. We mounted it with the dot at the balancer located heavy spot which was 90 degrees from where the valve was.

Now I need a high lift to get the bike up where I can drop the rear wheel out the bottom.

Hope you are keepingn warm. After sliding on ice three times today in a one hour pre dawn ride, I am ready for summer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It seems everyone is running 41 on the front tire. Why does Honda say 36 on the front? Is this a safety issue, or is it a smoother ride issue?

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
585 Posts
BrianGorrell said:
It seems everyone is running 41 on the front tire. Why does Honda say 36 on the front? Is this a safety issue, or is it a smoother ride issue?

Thanks,
B
I think it's a ride issue. The auto manufacturers did the same thing. They wanted you to put like 28# in your "Explorer" tires. It rode real nice and smooth till it blew the "Firestone ATX" tire and ended up on it's top. We all know where that went. I run the maximum pressure stated on the tire. I figure they know more about their tire than Honda does.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
To add a bit more confusion, there's a discussion on the Tech Board concerning tire gauges. A couple posts there seem to suggest the accuracy is not all that important. In other words, close enough is good.

But a gauge that's within, say, 10% of the actual reading could be off by as much as four to six pounds. Would that not be enough to cause issue with respect to handling, performance, and tire mileage...not to mention safety?

Just wondering...

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Shady18 said:
Some advice here. Manual says 36 front 41 back. My dealer and several I've seen on this board say 41 in front also. What do you all think is best and why.
You may as well just stuck your foot in a fireant mound or poke a beehive here, any tire preferences are subjective, but very controversial. I'm no expert but the following points make some sense to me. A couple of considerations here. Lower air pressures give a softer ride but can if carried to far build heat and cause premature tire failure. Like CC said: I think a little lower pressures could possibly maximize the tires footprint which would result in somewhat better traction. Too high of pressure could increase the already harsh ride quality of the Wing and wear down the center tread of a M.T. more quickly if your a Superslab only runner. Depending on your riding style I suppose you could ask some of the ultra high milers on this board, they should know best from experience. As in most things, the key is moderation don't get too radical from the tire manufacturer's tire recommended pressures. It's really a decision you'll have to make for yourself. What do I run, 38 psi front and 42psi rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried 41 and 41, but the ride was a little too hard for me. I use 39 in the front and 41 in the rear. I'll just get a new tire when it gets too cupped. The ride suits me with these pressures. I also run the suspension at 13 for solo riding and 25 two-up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts