GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not recall when and where I saw this, but I think I saw it in this forum somewhere were the optimum tire pressure was talked about for the GL1800.

Now the manual says…if I am correct, ( 36 Front ) & ( 41 Rear ) as I recall. However I have been playing with the pressures some and found that 45 in the rear and 42 in the front seems to be the best…or at least that’s how it feels when I ride.

Now somewhere I was reading that many, it seems are going with 42 front and rear as I recall. I have Dunflops on my GL1800, worst tires I have ever had the displeasure of ever having on a bike in my life. All my other bikes I owned had Bridge Stone tires and I loved them. Now my dunflops are cupped so bad, and that’s using the stated so called proper pressures. That I will soon be replacing these with Bridgestones.

I would like to get some input on what pressure in the tires is best for the GL1800, both in gas mileage, handling and best over all tire life as well. I have just a little over 12,000 Km’s ( 7,500 miles ) on the dunflops, and that are bagged already. And that at the recommended tires pressures…!

:shrug:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Its different for every individual tire that you use. I do like about 41 in front and about 44 in rear if i have motorcycle tires on. If i have a CT i like about 36 in rear. There is no optimum pressure. I believe for it to be on the high side is better than the lower. I will tell you that putting Nitrogen in your mc tires is not worth it, but it is for the ct. It seems the ct from my experience holds the pressure better, even on a mc tire rim than a mt on a mt rim. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So may I ask when you use a MT, what brand do you use and what do you find to be the best over all pressure for it...?

Myself, I like to keep a tire about 2 PSI over as thats better then low. Low pressure just adds more wear, and the tire runs hotter and the odds of a tire failure....at least in my books is higher on a low tire then one thats at pressure or a little over.

I am just trying to find the idea state for things as the GL1800 is NEW and I am new to riding a 1,000 pound monster like this. Owned this one for just about 3 months now, and have a little over 12,000 Km's ( 7,500 Miles ) on it already.....gee can you tell I ride....just a little....

:yes:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
When I ran bridgestones 709 & 702 I ran 38 in front and 41 in rear tire. Worked great . You will find suggestions from 36 to 42 front and 38 to 45 rear. Kind of like asking what oil is best. Oh no, did I really say that???

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I ran bridgestones 709 & 702 I ran 38 in front and 41 in rear tire. Worked great . You will find suggestions from 36 to 42 front and 38 to 45 rear. Kind of like asking what oil is best. Oh no, did I really say that???
We all know the answer to that....its....AMSOIL......:thumbup:

Sorry just had to do it....you walked right into that one.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that when I had my VT750 Honda Shadow, the tire pressure was given two ways. One was like 200 pounds weight or under then it was…for example 35 pounds, but at over 200 pounds…otherwise put riding 2 up…then its was higher tire pressure like 5 PSI more.

I see that with the GL1800 they do not have this, at least not that I have seen in the manual…unless miss it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Try riding it with the 10% rule. 10% increase in pressure from cold to hot. 38 and 41 seem to work with Stones. A lot odd things like temps, altitude, and speed will make a difference. The 36 front 40 rear seems a bit low for the front. The front heats up too much and increases the pressure too much.

It is a rule of thumb and not an absolute, so go with something and stay with it.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
CTs handle poorly. They need more effort to turn in corners. Many here like them. They do last longer and are less likely to have a flat.And cost less. So they have advantages. You decide.

Note NO serious riders, racers etc... use a car tire on a performance bike(racing)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
CTs handle poorly. They need more effort to turn in corners. Many here like them. They do last longer and are less likely to have a flat.And cost less. So they have advantages. You decide.

Note NO serious riders, racers etc... use a car tire on a performance bike(racing)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts

HUH?? :wrong: You just guessing or what? A car tire on the GL1800 will run circles over a MT. Anyday! Everyday! Have you had one on your bike that you didn't like or are you just blowing smoke? I don't know one person that has traded for a RF car tire that would ever go back! They are just that good!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
tires

I have been running car tires for years and they are the best. Don't know the difference in a curve, can't tell any difference. Only noticeable difference is how long they last and how much less they cost and how much better they ride for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a new 2010 Wing with 1900 miles on it and I was told by the Service manager at the dealership to do 40psi in front and back. He rides a lot of miles on his Wing. I put 40 front and back and rode for a few hours in Yellowstone the other day and they felt fine. Not sure if altitude has anything to do with it or not. I am getting 45-47 mpg.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Try riding it with the 10% rule. 10% increase in pressure from cold to hot. 38 and 41 seem to work with Stones. A lot odd things like temps, altitude, and speed will make a difference. The 36 front 40 rear seems a bit low for the front. The front heats up too much and increases the pressure too much.

It is a rule of thumb and not an absolute, so go with something and stay with it.
ummm.. seems like bad rule to me.

I have never seen a front tire with a larger temp shift than the rear tire.

I believe your 10% is off sir. Rule of thumb is 1 psi per 10 degrees of temp. A tire at 40 psi and 70 degrees should be at 43 psi at 100 degrees. Also, a tire that was 40 psi at 70 should be 37 psi at 40 degrees. The numbers work both ways.

The rear tire runs around 156 degrees on a wing that's being ridden on the super-slab. That is a 8.6 psi gain over the cold inflation. The front tire should be in the 120's which is a 5.x psi gain over cold inflation.

Twisties will get the rear much hotter if engine braking is being used or a lot of rear brake. 189 degrees is the hottest I have seen my rear tire. That is almost a 12 psi shift from cold inflation. Cold inflation at 42 + 12 = 54 psi. hmmmmm

Hope that helps on the tire pressure. Keep in mind that US mileage numbers are kinda useless as US road construction differs from Canadian. It has been my experience that Canadian roads can be much tougher on the tires.

I get 19,xxx miles out of my front tire consistently
I get 12 - 15,xxx miles out of my non-matched rear tire.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
ummm.. seems like bad rule to me.

I have never seen a front tire with a larger temp shift than the rear tire.

I believe your 10% is off sir. Rule of thumb is 1 psi per 10 degrees of temp. A tire at 40 psi and 70 degrees should be at 43 psi at 100 degrees. Also, a tire that was 40 psi at 70 should be 37 psi at 40 degrees. The numbers work both ways.

The rear tire runs around 156 degrees on a wing that's being ridden on the super-slab. That is a 8.6 psi gain over the cold inflation. The front tire should be in the 120's which is a 5.x psi gain over cold inflation.

Twisties will get the rear much hotter if engine braking is being used or a lot of rear brake. 189 degrees is the hottest I have seen my rear tire. That is almost a 12 psi shift from cold inflation. Cold inflation at 42 + 12 = 54 psi. hmmmmm

Hope that helps on the tire pressure. Keep in mind that US mileage numbers are kinda useless as US road construction differs from Canadian. It has been my experience that Canadian roads can be much tougher on the tires.

I get 19,xxx miles out of my front tire consistently
I get 12 - 15,xxx miles out of my non-matched rear tire.

Sorry you haven't had the same results. Ever tried it?
Typical of the GL 1800 board. You are either ignorant of, or just don't like the answer so it has to be rubbish.

Many folks have used that or similar equasion for longer than either of us has been alive and it has and still works. Works on the cars too. You have to wrap your mind around something besides temp. Do you know how to make a tire run cooler? I do, at least to a point.

You don't have to use it. You don't have to believe in it, just don't discount it so quickly, you may still actually have some things to learn.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
HUH?? :wrong: You just guessing or what? A car tire on the GL1800 will run circles over a MT. Anyday! Everyday! Have you had one on your bike that you didn't like or are you just blowing smoke? I don't know one person that has traded for a RF car tire that would ever go back! They are just that good!!!
Well now you do. I didn't like the CT one bit and switched back. Just saying. You all can ride what you want, I'll ride what I want. I don't feel it will run circles over a MT. Both types will let the Wing run to it's max without even coming close to the max performance of the tire.

IMO, the wing is too much of a pig to say those kinds of statements. I will say that for some folks the CT can perform just fine on the wing. But you won't see a CT on a sport bike any time soon because they are not a superior performing tire on motorcycles. On a wing a CT performs as good as a MT in some peoples minds. In my mind it was a scary experience that I could not get used to and never felt safe. From the sidelines they both seem to perform the same. One does not seem to perform any better than the other, they will both get you to max speed and lean.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I know that when I had my VT750 Honda Shadow, the tire pressure was given two ways. One was like 200 pounds weight or under then it was…for example 35 pounds, but at over 200 pounds…otherwise put riding 2 up…then its was higher tire pressure like 5 PSI more.

I see that with the GL1800 they do not have this, at least not that I have seen in the manual…unless miss it.
That is likely because the suggested PSI for the rear tire from both Honda and the tire manufacturer's is already at the MAX cold PSI stamped on the rear tire's sidewall. No room for them to suggest using more pressure for more wieght. :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
42 f/r d250

1 - 20 of 51 Posts