GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to check my tire pressure and in the garage the thermometer shows 90 degrees.

How much do I adjust for the hot temp now.....an extra 2 lbs above the cold number is what I am thinking.

·
Banned
435 Posts
According to Goodyear:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-guide/tire-care/how-cold-weather-effects-tire-pressure said:
For every 10 degrees of increased temperature, your tires can be expected to increase by 1-2 pounds of pressure.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just set the right pressure for the tire being not ridden 4 or 5 hours &
being cold and don't worry about it.
That’s what I do as well. Any day that I’m going on a ride of any length, I check all tires and make sure they are all on the pressures that I use at the current temperature. Done this for years and has always worked well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I set my pressure with a guage in the morning prior to riding, so it’s set with cold tires at the ambient temp at the time. If I’m on a trip, I’ll check it via the TPM and if it’s witnin two pounds of my pressure with the guage then I’m good. It’ll definitely fluctuate with the outside temp.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Doesn't matter if the outside temps are hot or cold. Check and adjust air pressure to the Owner's Manual specs. But, tires MUST be cold. That is, not ridden on for 4+ hours.

And, whatever you do, do NOT take air out of them after riding all day because your TPMS shows higher pressures than the Owner's Manual calls for.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Doesn't matter if the outside temps are hot or cold. Check and adjust air pressure to the Owner's Manual specs. But, tires MUST be cold. That is, not ridden on for 4+ hours.

And, whatever you do, do NOT take air out of them after riding all day because your TPMS shows higher pressures than the Owner's Manual calls for.
Exactly:grin2:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Not so fast. I hear if you remove air when they're hot, when they cool off overnight they'll get sucked inside out and you can get twice the mileage out of a set of tires that way.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I have been watching what the TPMS says and found over the last couple of weeks we had some hot weather, and then cold, and then back to hot again. I didn't know if I check the bike when it is hot if the pressure should be any different.

I did notice that my gauge and the TPMS numbers are off by 1 or 2 lbs.
I am going to continue to check them once a month and leave them at the book setting as cold.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I did notice that my gauge and the TPMS numbers are off by 1 or 2 lbs.
Even the BEST, MOST ACCURATE gauge will have a variance. So if you take 10 of the same model air gauge, there is VERY LITTLE chance all the gauges will read the same. Digital or analog doesn't matter.

So, just get a gauge you TRUST and set the pressure to THAT gauge. Then see what the bike's TPMS says. From then on, you KNOW what TPMS pressure you want WITHOUT having to get on the ground with that gauge.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Not so fast. I hear if you remove air when they're hot, when they cool off overnight they'll get sucked inside out and you can get twice the mileage out of a set of tires that way.
Don't say that too often...someone will believe you.

Reactions: tamathumper
1 - 13 of 13 Posts