GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer advice on what tire pressures are best to minimize or prevent 'cupping'?

I have an '09 GL1800 (ABS, NAV, PREMIUM SOUND) and am NOT an aggressive rider by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

I still have the original OEM Dunlop D250's with about 12,500 kilometres on them. Rear tire OK with lots of tread left but the front is starting to 'cup'.

.........and YES, I know the D250's are not the best tires and will likely replace them with Bridgestones once they get near the 'wear indicators'.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info....

I weigh about 225lb.......have the suspension set at 16 or 17 when riding solo.

Wife weighs about 160 and have the suspension at 22 when riding 'two-up'!!!!!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am afraid you can alter your tire pressure all you want but believe cupping is primarily caused by the wings suspension. I run 36psi in the front 'stone G709 and no cupping, but I don't have stock suspension. You can jack the psi up if you like but in the end I think you'll discover you have a harder cupped tire.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The original D250 set did have cupping and I ran 38-40 front and 40-41 rear. I am now trying the E3 set and running the side wall numbers. 41 front and 42 rear. So far so good with 2K miles on them.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Dyna Beads, nuff said!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can anyone offer advice on what tire pressures are best to minimize or prevent 'cupping'?

I have an '09 GL1800 (ABS, NAV, PREMIUM SOUND) and am NOT an aggressive rider by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

I still have the original OEM Dunlop D250's with about 12,500 kilometres on them. Rear tire OK with lots of tread left but the front is starting to 'cup'.

.........and YES, I know the D250's are not the best tires and will likely replace them with Bridgestones once they get near the 'wear indicators'.
get the centramatic balancers they will prevent cupping and make it ride a lot better, slow and fast

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ran my D250's at 40F/42R and got 18,500 kms out of them before replacing them with E3's. Compared to how the PR2's used to wear on my Concours, the cupping (if that's what it really is) wasn't too bad. I could have run the back tire for a few thousand more kms but I like to replace both tires at the same time. I'm running the E3's at the same pressure - 40F/42R.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I would run a preasure that would prevent it if I could or I would put a good suspension on the bike. there are a couple of options if you choose the suspension route!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
All airing up the tires like a rock does is make them bounce and skip more and cup more. Also reduces your braking force, especially on wet or damp roads.

It is the sorry suspension that caused the tire cupping. A good aftermarket suspension for the most part eliminates all the cupping nonsense.

Not sure anything else will.

Modern tread patterns seem to have a lot to do with it too, tread patterns on older bikes if you can remember were closer together and more linear around the tire, so they did not cup so bad.

Newer computer designed treads by their very design tend to tear and cup the leading edge of the tread sipes.

Some of the dunlop tread patterns on the tires designed for the Harley bikes does not cup, simply due to the design of the tread.

Smaller Honda bikes such as the Shadow, have very little cupping, but again the treads are much differently designed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
37 front and 41 rear on Elite 3's and I get 20,000+ miles off of a set. They do 'cup' and the rear gets noisy in the turns after 10,000 miles. All that I know that run Wings have that problem. I have a ST1300 and those tires do not cup to any extent and I run the same pressures, but only get about 14,000 miles on the Stones.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
35-37 is about optimum. at 40 or 42 you can start to feel a drop off in grip. Which is about one would expect by raising the pressure more than 10% over the recommended pressure.

I keep mine between 35 and 37 and had a small amount of singing in the slow speed exit ramp corners prior to Traxxionizing, none since. However, I replace my tires as sets...between 10k and 12k depending on whether I have a trip coming up. If I was commuting I could stretch them longer. I'm never down to the wear bars, but an old tire is a worse handling tire, even for those guys who brag about getting 15k to 20k per set. That being said, the Dunops seem to be harder compound, so I am not surprised they last a little longer than the Bridgestones that I run. That's basic tire design and engineering.

But if you raise the pressure to 40 or above, I think the drop off in grip is a worse fate than any drop off in cupping.

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
40F
42R
Add 2 more for Metzlers

·
Registered
212 Posts
From my experience... the higher the pressure the harsher the ride... never could take the harsh ride long enough to determine if it helped cupping!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Regardless of PSI or suspension, don't all cycle tires cup from time to time??

Some just sooner then others. :shrug:

I find E-3's were terrible for cupping, now the last couple tire changes I been running stones with little cupping.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Greg

Suggest you stop looking for a band-aid to put on your elbow when the sore is on your knee.... :shrug:

Make the investment and at least replace the front/rear springs before you install new tires, air tires to recommended pressures and enjoy the better ride and longer tire life.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We all have opinions and preferences, thats for sure.

I hear its the bellypan... ok, I said it... lets get all that going again. :joke:

I have tried alot of things, EXCEPT the aftermarket suspension. I DID see a reduction in cupping when I added my centramatic balancers, even from switiching from dynabeads.

I tend to agree in with the school of thought on the suspension due to the weight of the bike and the downforce angles... But have we not heard from Tom Finch on this yet? Tom? He is one of the resident engineers. I like Tom's take on things, very scientific and well thought out, but I tried the slide rule on the tire at 80mph and I damn near crashed and the wife di NOT like me leaving her holding the handlebars! :rolleyes:

Try out some varied PSI's and see your results. Watch them close and based on your riding style, temerarature variations where you live and how you ride, you may find what YOU like best.

Safe riding!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts