GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Wing (an '09) in to the dealer yesterday for oil and filter change etc. I have 15000 Kilometers (about 9200 miles) on the bike's OEM Dunlop 250's. The dealer said I still have about 45 - 50% wear left on them. Aside from a bit of 'cupping' on the front tire, I have had no problem with them......however, I have never ridden very much at all in the rain with them.

While there I asked him what the installed price would be for a pair of either Dunlop Elite 3's or a pair of Metzlers.

I nearly filled my drawers when he said $660 (CDN). :wrong:

He also said that, since my bike has a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), I should be very careful who I have install tires any time in the future because it is extremely easy to damage the TPMS sensors when removing or installing tires. ("Scare tactics' on his part???? :eek:4:)

Therefore, can anyone advise me WHERE in the U.S. (preferably in the Buffalo NY area) I could at least buy the tires at a significantly cheaper price and bring them back home to Canada for the dealer to install?

As usual, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Why not buy and mount them in the U.S.? Don't you pay tax on them when you cross the border?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The dealer is right in stating that care should be taken in mounting the new tires, as the TPMS can be messed up,but I've heard a number of stories of dealers messing this up, so they are not immune.

I've heardof a number of people just having things shipped to a fedex or UPS store just over the border and then carrying them north. I haven't investigated the legality of this, but I know some are doing it.

The sponsor of this board usually has pretty reasonable prices on tires. See http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Tires&str=4

Jason

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Another option dare I say it...a car tire on the rear,the place I buy my car tires mounted a Pirelli Run Flat,185.00 total cost.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It is hard to believe but that is the price I was quoted by 2 Honda Stealers here in Virginia. I refuse to pay that so I just bought a Pit Bull lift and tires and will be doing it myself from now on. A couple places will mount the tires for $30 bucks if you bring them the tire. The money I saved just this first time helps put a serious dent in the cost of the lift. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Nobody would take more care in mounting my tires than do I.

prs

·
Registered
140 Posts
Free Shipping within US

I just had the Wing (an '09) in to the dealer yesterday for oil and filter change etc. I have 15000 Kilometers (about 9200 miles) on the bike's OEM Dunlop 250's. The dealer said I still have about 45 - 50% wear left on them. Aside from a bit of 'cupping' on the front tire, I have had no problem with them......however, I have never ridden very much at all in the rain with them.

While there I asked him what the installed price would be for a pair of either Dunlop Elite 3's or a pair of Metzlers.

He also said that, since my bike has a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), I should be very careful who I have install tires any time in the future because it is extremely easy to damage the TPMS sensors when removing or installing tires. ("Scare tactics' on his part???? :eek:4:)

Therefore, can anyone advise me WHERE in the U.S. (preferably in the Buffalo NY area) I could at least buy the tires at a significantly cheaper price and bring them back home to Canada for the dealer to install?

GrandpaGreg, I had the same experience about 6 years ago. Now I purchase tires from Wingsgtuff.com and they ship anywhere in the US for free. Just bought a buddy a set of E 3's and paid $330.00 CAN. Just make sure you have the receipt and all you pay at the border is taxes due on the declared value. E-A-S-Y!!!
Ricker

·
Registered
526 Posts
My local dealer told me $800, i told him good bye, order them off the net and installed them myself

bought a sears lift for $65 delievered to my door

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

I used to hear alot of good things about the Honda dealer in Hamburg NY..They are just outside of Buffalo Just over the skyway...Off of Rt 5

·
Registered
174 Posts
My first new tire on my Goldwing was $300 installed, so I bought the NoMar Cycle Hill changer for about $500, and getting the tires online. Something like $189 was what I paid for my last rear tire.

If you buy tires elsewhere, will your dealer install them (some will not) and how much will they charge if they will?

·
Registered
539 Posts
That is pricey for a set. I recall paying around $370 installed for a set of Bridgestones at Wing Ding this year, I doubt they lost money on the deal.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Mounting tires on a TPMS equiped rim isn't hard. The best thing you can do is make it VERY clear that the rim is equiped with a TPMS sensor and that NO TOOLS are to come within 5" of the valve stem. I use blue painters tape on the rim around the valve stem with words to that effect. I've had 3 different shops (2 independents and 1 Honda dealer) install tires on my rims 8 times now with no problems.

Once the tech knows where to NOT put ANY tools (irons, bead breakers, etc) then it is easy for them to change the tire without damaging the TPMS sensor.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Another thread discussed my experience with this, but I was not about to pay a dealer $300 more for a pair of tires than I they cost from Wingstuff or several other online dealers. I bought them online, took them to my usual dealer, who refused to install them, and went ten miles down the road to another Honda dealer who readily agreed to install them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts