GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have read about my problem with the Metzler tires, and my having to have them replaced, after only 700 miles, while on my Alaskan trip.

The Honda dealer who inspected the bike and tires, told me the tires, were the cause of the dangerous wobble (at between 25 mph and 50 mph , both hands on the bars, accererating and decelerating). He replaced the Metzlers, at a cost of $509.43, with E3's and no more wobble.

I shipped the faulty tires home and contacted Metzler, and contacted Metzler and contacted Metzler.

Finally Metzler had me take the faulty tires to a local Honda/Metzler dealer to be examined. That dealer inspected the tires and he told me that the tires must be out of spec. He contacted Metzler who directed him to ship the tires to them for further inspection. All of this has taken several weeks and lots of aggravation.

Did I mention that Metzler has not replaced the faulty tires, nor have they reimbursed me for the tire replacement, or shipping.

UPDATE: Metzler has replaced my faulty rear tire and they are still examining the front tire. I can't tell you what was wrong with it because they didn't tell me.

I did have to send both tires to Wisconsin for the tests.

These tires have more miles on a mail truck than they did on my bike.

Thank You Metzler, so far.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes and take a look at the rest of the cases these guys have filed. They are suing iPod, Boeing, Boston Chicken, ......

Only the lawyers win these things.

JMHO

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Only the lawyers win these things
And we pay the price increases to cover the attorney fees that it costs these companies that are being sued. :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
that is true

I do agree, so just keep wobbling???, I have added a super brace, Had the dealer do a bearing adjustment, tired Metzlers, Dunlop Elite 3's.....very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I 2nd that

Cal-D said:
ONE WORD - TRAXXION
What a difference the double XX did for my bike with only 4400 miles on it :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You Metzler!!!

They have sent me a replacement back tire.

I'm still waiting on what they are going to do about the front tire.
It had a rubber plug in it about the size of a pencil, came that way new and I just missed it. My bad.

I can't tell you what was wrong with the back tire, because they never told me. They just sent the replacement tire with no explanation.

Thank You Metzler.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Law Suit

Yes , of course we can all just sit back bitch about the monies we are paying to try this or that, Mother Honda needs to know the American Motorcyclist will not stand for this and something must be corrected here. I am sure they are very aware of the problem and have a fix, just not wanting to do a recall due to the expense and hurting their bottom line.

I'm curious how many of Gl1800 Motorcyclist have been hurt due to this problem?

At one time we stood up for what we thought was right and made this United States what it is, if not , we would have a queen instead of a president.

I say sue and win and make Honda step up to the plate and claim responsibility for their XXXXup!

·
Registered
67 Posts
bad front end

in racing you get tank slap at high speeds from bad springs not taking up the bumps right. my o6 has it bad at 16500 miles with new stones all around, the stone have 4000 miles on them now with all hands on it has a start of a tank slap at 40 on shut down, not good!!!! will put spring and all balls in soon. i think both are making it bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
suit

It amazes me the responses I see. Just fix it??? lawayers,
I purchased and owned a Harley Electra Glide Classic that I almost got killed on because the dealer sold it as "ONE OWNER MINT" when in fact it was defective and I was not aware that there was an existing class action suit at the time. In that suit a NC.Police officer was killed on the same model bike, as well as other incidents.

I took him to court and won because under law he was supposed to disclose the problem before I bought.
I don't know if Honda is intetionally hiding something or not but at least the suit will or should disclose these issues. I also bet the ones that feel the suit is unwarrentd will be "FIRST" in line if the action is succesful and there is a payoff.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Re: suit

subcode said:
... I also bet the ones that feel the suit is unwarrentd will be "FIRST" in line if the action is succesful and there is a payoff.
Your statement is really offensive. Does it make you feel better to denigrate people you've never met?

I don't believe my Wing has a "design defect" of this kind, so why do you think I would take part in a lawsuit I don't believe in? And why do you assume other people have no integrity?

:roll:

·
Registered
214 Posts
wobbles

Im sure glad my wing is an 01. The 01's dont seem to have all
the problems the later years are having. :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why I was so sure it was the tires causing my problem.

My 01' has been trouble free, that is until I put on the Metzlers.

I'm on E3's now and the tank slapping's gone.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My '02 has been trouble free also, well except for the CB radio, shall we get a class suit against Honda for the CB? or maybe the 1500 or maybe the 1200 and then there was the 1100.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Another reason I won't EVER have Metzlers on my bike... too many stories of bad Metzlers turning up.. guess if there is no more Dunlops or Bridgestones -- I'll walk...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
kg5ie said:
Yes and take a look at the rest of the cases these guys have filed. They are suing iPod, Boeing, Boston Chicken, ......

Only the lawyers win these things.

JMHO
I'm thniking there may be lawayers with some bad gambling debt they're trying to get rid of!!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
NEVER on Metz again

Are there any inherent design flaws that makes Wing wobble? At minimum, there must be inconsistencies in manufacturing evident in the reports of some do and some dont on this board...

How would anyone know that suit is legitimate? Who is paying the lawyers?

Wobbling avoidance methods:
tappered bearing
Traxxion
709 in the front

1 - 20 of 22 Posts