GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Ive owned my 03 for 2 years and put on new tires F&R.The old set where cupped F&R,New set CUPPED...F&R. Does everyone have this problem? Tire pressure set to correct pressure. Does any of the 12s have this problem? Do they make a tire that doesnt do this, besides car tires? Or am I stuck with cupped tires 4 ever:roll:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I just read on another post (possible another forum) regarding the cupping problem, and the post said that in a conversation with the tire factory rep. that increasing the pressure by 5 to 9 psi would help if not eliminate this problem. I just yesterday talked with a friend of mine that used to be part owner of 2 Harley dealerships, and he said the same thing, increase the pressure. Tire pressures that the tire manufacturer says are almost always higher than what the motorcycle manufacturer recommends.
I've also heard it said "screw what the bike maker tells you, and do what the tire manufacturer says".
I run 45 in the front, and 50 in the rear...no cupping yet.
Steve F

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Wear results can depend on brand and model of tire, inflation pressures, riding style, miles, loading, and perhaps worn steering head bearings or other factors.

My OEM Dunlop D-250s wore fairly quickly and cupped mildly by around 8k miles. I replaced them at 9,200 miles prior to a trip. They were probably good for 10k, perhaps 11k miles but would have been excessively worn by that mileage.

The replacement Dunlop E-3s have just started cupping a little recently at 15k miles. I have not religiously checked inflation pressures and have allowed them to run at between 41 lbs. and 38 lbs. inflation. They are good for 16k or 17k miles.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The debate will continue forever.

The causes unknown, but everyone agrees that it's most likely due to suspension, tire inflation, riding style, and probably so many others.

Is there a sure-fire way to avoid it? On the rear, I've never heard of a CT cupping, but that's another debate on another forum. For the front, the answer is an absolute... maybe.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I just read on another post (possible another forum) regarding the cupping problem, and the post said that in a conversation with the tire factory rep. that increasing the pressure by 5 to 9 psi would help if not eliminate this problem. I just yesterday talked with a friend of mine that used to be part owner of 2 Harley dealerships, and he said the same thing, increase the pressure. Tire pressures that the tire manufacturer says are almost always higher than what the motorcycle manufacturer recommends.
I've also heard it said "screw what the bike maker tells you, and do what the tire manufacturer says".
I run 45 in the front, and 50 in the rear...no cupping yet.
Steve F
Keep that up and I predict you'll see increased wear in the center of your treads, front and rear.

Yes, increased inflation pressure CAN help, but there is no definitive answer, and you should only go so far with increased inflation pressure. Remember that as your tires heat up, you add 5-7 lbs of pressure (maybe more?).

As I said above, the debate rages on.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
OK, Ive owned my 03 for 2 years and put on new tires F&R.The old set where cupped F&R,New set CUPPED...F&R. Does everyone have this problem? Tire pressure set to correct pressure. Does any of the 12s have this problem? Do they make a tire that doesnt do this, besides car tires? Or am I stuck with cupped tires 4 ever:roll:
Ruh, Roh.

"Verily, verily I say unto you: thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." ~ Absolute Truth 3:16

I'd strongly suggest that you keep looking in the Land of Impossible. If you cross the river into the Land of the Obvious Solution, you're doomed.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I feel like because the Goldwind is a 900# motorcycle, with a 500# motorcycle tire on it, the problem will be ongoing.

Proper inflation and balance is important, but there is more to the inherent problems involved, than this can solve.

JMHO.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My tires (then E3s) always cupped. Once I upgraded the suspension I have never had another tire cup. I did switch to the BS G709 when I had the suspension done. I also no longer run a may-pop on the rear.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have not had significant cupping on a front tire since 2003. My rear tires t scallop, but only in the transition areas about an inch or so away from center. Once or twice during the life of the tire I simply shave that area with a surform rasp.

prs

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'd look first at the front springs. Sacked out front springs could very well encourage front tire cupping.

Even if the springs don't fix the cupping, the bike will ride better. :thumbup:

I think the only way to solve cupping on the front is to go with a slick tire. Not to practical though. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have not had significant cupping on a front tire since 2003. My rear tires t scallop, but only in the transition areas about an inch or so away from center. Once or twice during the life of the tire I simply shave that area with a surform rasp.

prs

Wish I would have thought of taking a rasp to my rear tires. My front tires wear good, maybe thanks to Traxxion? My rear always scallop. Got so tired of removing the tires with a lot of mileage left because of the noise, I am trying a ct now. If the ct doesn't work out for me (to early to make that call), I'll have to remember the rasp fix.

Mack

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Wish I would have thought of taking a rasp to my rear tires. My front tires wear good, maybe thanks to Traxxion? My rear always scallop. Got so tired of removing the tires with a lot of mileage left because of the noise, I am trying a ct now. If the ct doesn't work out for me (to early to make that call), I'll have to remember the rasp fix.

Mack
C'mon over to the Darkside sub-board. We'll fill you with Kool-ade and cookies and share your joy.

S

·
0 Posts
The debate will continue forever.

The causes unknown, but everyone agrees that it's most likely due to suspension, tire inflation, riding style, and probably so many others.
On point one you are correct, on point two the cause is well known and logical.

Fact is all MC tires will cup it's just some are worse than others. I could go on for 10 pages regarding dynamics and physics but this would just create a copy/paste competition.

Some tires just cup more than others, find one that cups less and just stick with it. Bias plys seem better than the radials in this department but tread design also plays a part. Bumping the pressure helps slightly but shortens the life expectancy of the tire plus just adds to the harshness of the ride.

OK now start the copy/paste war :rolleyes:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Seeing you asked.
I run a Run Flat Pirelli [email protected] BMT and 709 front.No cupping what so ever!
Front wears smooth to the wear bars when I pull it off.
Progressive springs fore n aft.

All M/C tires cup even with the fantasy balancers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts