GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you don't mind me asking this question here.....Ive been running a CT (MHE) on the back of my 06 1300 R now for little over 20k...I need a new front tire...would I run into any problems using a bias ply tire..(found a deal) many thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I hope you don't mind me asking this question here.....Ive been running a CT (MHE) on the back of my 06 1300 R now for little over 20k...I need a new front tire...would I run into any problems using a bias ply tire..(found a deal) many thanks in advance....
No one running "mixed" tires on an 1800 has experienced a problem so far as I know.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I lot of goldwing riders use radial car tire on the rear and a bias ply on the front. You are not supposed to mix bias and radial on the same axle.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The thing you don't want to do is run the combination of a radial front bias rear!
Bias front radial rear is just fine!

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
The thing you don't want to do is run the combination of a radial front bias rear!
Bias front radial rear is just fine!
Wondering why , please explain .

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I lot of goldwing riders use radial car tire on the rear and a bias ply on the front. You are not supposed to mix bias and radial on the same axle.
:agree:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wondering why , please explain .
to answer problem with radial front bias rear:

a radial tire tends to wander side to side due to its radial construction whereas the bias ply tire has a much stiffer sidewall and doesn't wander like the radial. A radial in front will tend to wander side to side and you'll be correcting this all the time. a bias leading the radial will tend to have the rear follow and track the front.

At least this is how I understand it. If anyone desires to help me understand it differently, they are welcome to help me learn more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts