GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all question for the tire experts. Have a friend that has multiple bikes. Has a Honda CTX with a air leak in rear tire which I can’t find. On two occasions went to ride had15 lbs… started out with 41. He ie guilty of not checking to often enough. 26 lbs over a little over a month? a bathed the tire in soapy fluid carefully inspected the valve around rim and valve core, carefully inspected the tire. Has anyone I encountered a situation as such. I would have removed the tire and placed in a tub of water is the only other diagnosis tool left.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would overinflate the tire to check it. That might make the leak more prevalent. It can be tough getting soapy water to stay in one place long enough to show a leak so removing the wheel might produce better results.

Reactions: rayjoe

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had a new tire with this problem, after many unsuccessful attempts at having a dealer find it I immersed the tire for an extended time and found an occasional bubble slowly form at the rim. There was a piece of thread imbedded in the rubber at the rim that allowed air to escape through it. They gave me a new tire.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would overinflate the tire to check it. That might make the leak more prevalent. It can be tough getting soapy water to stay in one place long enough to show a leak so removing the wheel might produce better results.
Yes I realized that and used straight dawn on valve, and yes I over inflated. This wheel has a ninety degree metal valve installed with a nut on the outside of wheel. I was tempted to tighten but thought better because I didn't want to create another problem....

·
motorcycle cowboy
2013 GL1800
1,045 Posts
Did you check to make sure the valve stem core is tight or that rubber seal is intact?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a new tire with this problem, after many unsuccessful attempts at having a dealer find it I immersed the tire for an extended time and found an occasional bubble slowly form at the rim. There was a piece of thread imbedded in the rubber at the rim that allowed air to escape through it. They gave me a new tire.
Ok I installed this tire I’m very careful to Clean the rim and check for leaks after installing, but never thought about inspecting the tire at bead…. Will from now on thanks for responding👍🏼

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes I realized that and used straight dawn on valve, and yes I over inflated. This wheel has a ninety degree metal valve installed with a nut on the outside of wheel. I was tempted to tighten but thought better because I didn't want to create another problem....
Straight soap without water to thin it may be too viscous to allow smaller air leaks to get through it. More than an half an ounce of Dawn in a quart of water is really overkill. Try using less soap and more water.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Straight soap without water to thin it may be too viscous to allow smaller air leaks to get through it. More than an half an ounce of Dawn in a quart of water is really overkill. Try using less soap and more water.
I did both first soapy water then dawn around valve.... will keep an eye on it. I was thinking maybe the air is escaping during the movement... who knows..... Will check TP prior to riding then check after ride...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I did both first soapy water then dawn around valve.... will keep an eye on it. I was thinking maybe the air is escaping during the movement... who knows..... Will check TP prior to riding then check after ride...
The one time I had problems after mounting new tires, I found that the bead was leaking on the rear tire. I ended up taking the wheel off, breaking the bead and cleaning the wheel. Not sure why the leak happened but I used about 10 drops of Dawn soap in a 1/2 pint of water and proved to my self the leak was happening. A small bottle of soap and water is always on the shelf in the shop. Works perfectly.
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Gas

After cleaning it up I once again verified that the leak had stopped. Of course, it was pretty easy to do a diagnosis when the wheel was off the bike. Now I check every wheel/tire bead area when I mount new tires with that same mix of water and Dawn.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one time I had problems after mounting new tires, I found that the bead was leaking on the rear tire. I ended up taking the wheel off, breaking the bead and cleaning the wheel. Not sure why the leak happened but I used about 10 drops of Dawn soap in a 1/2 pint of water and proved to my self the leak was happening. A small bottle of soap and water is always on the shelf in the shop. Works perfectly.
View attachment 392170

After cleaning it up I once again verified that the leak had stopped. Of course, it was pretty easy to do a diagnosis when the wheel was off the bike. Now I check every wheel/tire bead area when I mount new tires with that same mix of water and Dawn.
Cool I'll probably have to take it off the bike to check. it has the splines on the wheel type of rear a little more work than the wing..... thanks again for your help.!

·
Registered
434 Posts
In looking through this thread, I didn't see where anyone suggested pushing on the valve stem a bit while checking for leaks to simulate the force(s) on the valve stem when at highway speed. I have seen a valve stem that would leak at the base only when the end of the stem was pushed toward the rim.
I had that happen this spring with a tire and wheel combination that had been on the bike for about 2,000 miles that did not lose air all winter and never lost any air for the first several rides of the year, then 75 miles from home front started to leak. After checking the tire and bead and finding nothing I sprayed the valve stem base and pushed the valve stem and found the leak. Turns out the rubber gasket for the metal valve had gotten hard and dry. New T-valve and all is well for over 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In looking through this thread, I didn't see where anyone suggested pushing on the valve stem a bit while checking for leaks to simulate the force(s) on the valve stem when at highway speed. I have seen a valve stem that would leak at the base only when the end of the stem was pushed toward the rim.
Will try that Ron much easier than pulling the wheel, I thought maybe the leak was occurring during the rotation…. great idea! Thanks

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Did you use soap/water as a tire lube? If so, take off the tire, clean up the bead and bead seat real good, then use correct tire lube.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts