GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put new tires on my 1800, wondering about Dunlop E3s vs. Avon Cobras. Thinking about putting the 70 series on the rear. Any benefit to this other than getting the speedo correct?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have used the EIII 70 series but not the Avons. I like the 70 series for the added height as well as the speedo correction you mentioned. I will not however put another 70 series Metz or Stone on the rear as their mileage is horrible in the 7o. But the real benefit is after trying them you can make up your own mind what you like best, because you will get two very different responses from this board. Some swear by them and some swear at them. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Just curious~~why did you eliminate 'Stones from your choice list? We tried several sets of E-III's and had issues with most of them. I tried the Metz and they weren't for me either, but we put the "stones" on and have lived happily ever after:p

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just curious~~why did you eliminate 'Stones from your choice list? We tried several sets of E-III's and had issues with most of them. I tried the Metz and they weren't for me either, but we put the "stones" on and have lived happily ever after:p
Did you try the Stones in the 70 series. I did not even get 6000 miles out of My Stones 70. Now I understand from others that the 60 series Stone will give you much better mileage than that, but I have not personally used that particular tire in a 60. The EIII 70 series tires I have used have all given me 12,000 miles or more which is acceptable to me. I do not find the EIII to be as "slippery when wet" as others attest and "knock on wood" I have not had other issues with them either. But then again, if we all liked the same thing there would only be a need for one brand of tire.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Did you try the Stones in the 70 series. I did not even get 6000 miles out of My Stones 70. Now I understand from others that the 60 series Stone will give you much better mileage than that, but I have not personally used that particular tire in a 60. The EIII 70 series tires I have used have all given me 12,000 miles or more which is acceptable to me. I do not find the EIII to be as "slippery when wet" as others attest and "knock on wood" I have not had other issues with them either. But then again, if we all liked the same thing there would only be a need for one brand of tire.
I haven't tried the 70 series, but on the way home from R-G 07 we delam'd an E-III, and our last one feathered out real bad at 7,000 miles. The Stones with Dynabeads have held up pretty well with zero cupping at almost 10,000. Happy so far!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Finney go with the E3 i found it a good tyre got 16k out of it also some here have reported it has run flat capability

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
tires

My dealer put the 70 series tire on by mistake.

First thing i noticed was the bike felt like it had gained

500 pounds when taking it off the kick stand.

When i put it on the center stand the taller tire drug the ground

making it more difficult to check the air/pressure.

It rode nice, but i didn't like the above 2 irritants.

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, kinda wanted to try the new Avon's (the Cobras), but I understand they haven't been out too long. I'll go with the E 3 standards.

Just curious, JD, what engine do you have in that '46 Ford? Is it a 460?? Nice picture.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I have been very pleased with the OE sized Cobra's. Mine have already gone past where B'stones were worn out and still look good. They are quiet, have nice ride sort of like Bridgestones and superb grip like Avon Venoms. I got along well with a couple of sets of 70 E-3s, but they were not as good as this newer Avon tyre. I have not heard good reports of the Avon Cobra when used as a pair including the 70 aspect ratio rear -- early reports claimed tire failure. 70 rear Avon Venom R was very nice in my opinion, but it may give a very quick handling ride quality that strikes some riders as unstable. Try 'em all an' choose Yer poison.

prs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts