GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you please suggest me an inexpensive tire repair kit that I can keep in my bike, just in case godforbid... Already have a Slime compressor.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
I know somw have used the rope/glue tire plugs with success. Me, not so much. Never could get a good seal; might hold a tire up for a day but that's the best I ever did.

I did though buy one of the Stop 'n Go kits with the rubber mushroom shaped plugs. It was on sale and I thought it was worth buying. Since then I have used this kit on my wife's car three times. Just coincidence. First time was a worn tire, already due for replacement, that picked up a screw. Tried mostly as an experiment. Lasted two weeks before I changed all four. Then, same car, with the almost new tires, a couple months later. Too new to just throw away so I plugged it and lasted fine until worn out. Another car, now a few years later, also with new tires. Plugged and still in there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lots of high tech fancy options out there, but in most cases you can't beat the basic sticky rope and T-handle type plug kit. Get you one and practice on an old tire.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I would NOT recommend the StopNGo kit that uses mushroom plugs. Every tire I've seen plugged with those has failed, a couple catastrophically when the head of the mushroom plug shears off from the belts in the tire and then the plug spits totally out of the tire. The StopNGo instructions actually tell you to lubricate the mushroom plug with oil to get it to insert, which is insanity.

Sticky rope repairs work the best, I've run many tires plugged this way until the tire is worn out. The worst thing a sticky rope repair will do is slow leak, so you do have to monitor the pressure if you plug a tire, but with TPMS that is pretty easy to do. I've never seen a sticky rope plug come out of a tire. If you use glue, you do need to let the glue dry before airing up the tire, I usually let it cure overnight. The only better way is to remove the tire and install a T patch from the inside.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was leaning towards "sticky rope" and T-handle to begin with. Any place (website) where I can find a decent kit? Or any certain brand name?...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I purchased the Stop-n-Go system. I have used it once on the road and that tire lasted until it needed to be replaced.

The reason I purchased it was because its an old proven design. It has been in use for repair of tubeless tires for over 50 years. Its what we used to repair tubeless tires in the 60's. It's still a viable repair system.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Safety Seal is a good name. They sell various kits that cover about any vehical. Like most things, you can buy Chinese that works fine mostly, or spend a few extra dollars for something way better.The difference between the Safety Seal and the Slime kit is better tools, better rope plugs, all around better, but does cost more.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Lots of high tech fancy options out there, but in most cases you can't beat the basic sticky rope and T-handle type plug kit. Get you one and practice on an old tire.
^^^^ This is the best! The T-handles make getting the plug in easier than the kits with the straight handles. You should also carry a good pair of pliers to grab and remove the nail or screw that punctured the tire. I carry a pair of side cutters too. I carry a can of rubber cement instead of a small tube of cement. The rubber cement is less likely to dry out in a larger container. While it is ideal to allow the rubber cement and plug to set overnight before refilling the tire with air, as Fred H. suggested, if you get a flat while out on the road this may not be an option. I've always immediately refilled the tire with air and never had any leaks. Use plenty of rubber cement on the tool to clean out/enlarge the hole and coat the sticky rope plug with gobs of cement before inserting into the hole.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just watched the Stop & Go video. That thing would make Rube Goldberg blush.

Plain old simple sticky rope type works fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I’ll say it again, see a nail in the tire while on a trip, just leave it and monitor pressure until you can have it repaired permanently. I once drove from LA to Key-West to VA and back to TX with a big construction nail in the rear tire. only re-filled it a couple times. Todays tires seal clean punctures as long as you don’t pull the nail.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I purchased the Stop-n-Go system. I have used it once on the road and that tire lasted until it needed to be replaced.

The reason I purchased it was because its an old proven design. It has been in use for repair of tubeless tires for over 50 years. Its what we used to repair tubeless tires in the 60's. It's still a viable repair system.

In my opinion, the repair puts too big of a hole in the tire.:surprise:
DYNAPLUG is what I use.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Big holes - sticky rope. Smaller holes - Dyna Plug. This is not the mushroom head type plugs that fail, I've used dynaplugs on bike, lawn tractors, cars - over 20+ times, no failures. http://www.dynaplug.com/

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stop and Go

What I bought after I watched a guy pull an 8" nail out of his rear tire and continued like that for the rest of the time on our UP ride last year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a DynaPlug fan. Just remember to carry several as you may need two or three if the puncture is large.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another vote for sticky rope and T-handle. I've never seen any need to add glue. Plugged front and rear tires, and they have always lasted until the tire was worn out. Picked up my '18 F6B less than a month ago and got a roofing nail in the front with less than 200 miles on it thanks to my neighbor replacing his garage roof:mad1::mad1::mad1:. Plugged it and will run it 'til worn out. Loses absolutely no air. YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts