GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a nail in good back tire ...anyone had any luck with patching it or plugging it ..right now I have a rope plug in it but don't know if that's safe if I want to go out of town for a few days

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tire.

There will be many people who will tell you to get a new one....I used to plug mine in the past and they have been just fine. Lately I haven't got a nail for long, long time....knock on wood. (or rubber in this case);)

Then again some may say a patch will be good if it is done right.

I don't know the effect if it is patched and someone uses dyna beads in their tire if that will damage the patch.

Good Luck

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
You can plug it with the rope plug if the perforation is well away from the side walls and is not too jagged. If the hole is very small compared to the plug, you do need to rasp it with the proper tool and the tool should be coated with solvent cement. Coat the rope plug with solvent cement too. Insert and turn the handle a half turn, remove handle in one brisk motion. The inside of the rope will curl into a knot and cure with riding heat, the plug will also meld into the rubber of the perf due to the solvent and the riding heat. Better than a cold patch and better even than a cold patch plug in my experience. Keep a close eye on any repair until you are sure it is not leaking. Slow leaks lead to blow-outs!

prs

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Got a screw in my rear RF the other day.

I removed the tire and had it patched on the inside.
Put it back on and no problems so far.

I've had problems with the plugging system before.

Barney

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would only ride on a plugged tire at lower speeds. You can read on this site what has happened to others who have had a blowout at highway speeds. A new tire and remount can be done for under $300, it's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If the hole is in the tread, a sticky rope plug with glue will work just fine.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
picked up a nail in good back tire ...anyone had any luck with patching it or plugging it ..right now I have a rope plug in it but don't know if that's safe if I want to go out of town for a few days
If that hole was clean and smaller that a #6 nail or 6/32 screw you mite have a chance with a rope type. Only way to know is to put the tire though several heat cycles from 75 to 100 mile ride. The tire will expand and cool. A road trip will put any tire to a test. I have been able to plug one and one not.it was a pain and not a worth it

·
Registered
268 Posts
A rope plug will work just fine. During my trip to Indy motogp 2 yrs ago. I woke up sunday morning of the race with a flat rear tire (Avon Corba radial) plugged it and never leaked since then. Tire had 5/32 on it at the time.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I would only ride on a plugged tire at lower speeds. You can read on this site what has happened to others who have had a blowout at highway speeds. A new tire and remount can be done for under $300, it's not worth the risk to me.
Consider the logic. A new tire can slow leak from inadequate mount or from another small sharp, same as a repaired tire could have an inadequate repair or another small sharp. Either one is subject to blow-out due to over heating from low pressure. The only real protection is to be alert to the low pressure situation either by seat of pants or a TPMS. Cold patches, that is another story, I do not have confidence in them. The type of plug that is inserted with the gun-like device, I have no faith in them at all; but the quality sticky ropes are a permanent repair if done properly. Some perfs seem not to repair well with any method, so one does have to keep an eye on them; but we have to keep an eye on our tires anyway.

prs

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only place for a plugged tire is in the dumpster, regardless of age...IMHO. I carry a plug kit on my bike and have used it at least twice while out on the road but only to get me to the nearest tire shop.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
What a waste to throw away a tire with a tiny puncture because you're all worried that the tire is gonna cause you to crash and burn. :roll: Any cycle tire is subject to low pressure for whatever cause, and that's why we usually keep a close eye on it.
I totally agree with Pigeon Roost about keeping an eye on the pressure after repairs are made and that the sticky ropes being an effective and SAFE way to make a repair......however, if you're made of money go buy another tire, but don't say that "you HAVE to go get a new tire" (BS)

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I have ridden w/ a plug'd tire for a entire month, last year, w/o any problem(s)..........I say try plugging and then keep a close eye on it, "gauging it daily", If you find leaking air, then replace, if not ride and enjoy.................

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
A relatively "clean/ simple" puncture that you can get a sticky rope plug in , esp if you use the glue, should last the life of the tire. I worry more about the particular tire you are using, than it being properly plugged. Be sure to monitor the pressure after it is plugged to make sure there are no slow leaks.

I am in your area if you want to talk tires. Pm me if you do.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I sure wish all the people throwing away perfectly good tires would send them to me. I've plugged 6 MC tires without a failure and several car tires without failure. It of course is there money but nobody should come on here and say it's not safe without proof

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
http://www.dynaplug.com/kit.html

While I have never tried this particular plugging system Fred Harmon (forum member) has used it on multiple flat repairs and gives it a :thumbup:. I believe he repaired at least 6 flats all of them a success.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Do it the easy way... trade the bike for a new one*. :joke:

Count me as one who will not trust a plugged/patched motorcycle tire. After spending a ton of money on the GL, spending a few hundred dollars on a new tire is a comparatively small expense. A properly installed new tire will not leak, slowly nor otherwise.

* I had my "screwed" rear tire replaced, then traded the bike a week later; told a few people that because I thought that screw in the tire was bad luck, I felt compelled to trade the bike ASAP. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts