GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my stop n go tire repair kit in the mail today. Next item I need is a portable compressor. I would like one that will plug into my battery lead for my battery tender. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
Reactions: Bipeflier

·
Registered
191 Posts
I received my stop n go tire repair kit in the mail today. Next item I need is a portable compressor. I would like one that will plug into my battery lead for my battery tender. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I carry one of the Dynaplug micro compressors. The link below is Amazon showing the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Motorcycle-Inflator-Carbon-Ultralite/dp/B01G6NM9YE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548546902&sr=8-5&keywords=dynaplug+compressor

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have that kit and it's my Go To for plugging. I've got two plugs and holding in my Alpin rear now with tons of miles on them.

That said, I've heard that the little mushroom plugs don't work so well on irregular holes. Having seen them in action, I can understand why. I carry the sticky rope and a T handle, too, just in case I get a less pristine puncture some day.

In another not motorcycle life I've had to, and been able to, keep jamming those darn ropes into a starfish hole until it held and we could limp out. Can't do that with the mushroom plugs.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that kit and it's my Go To for plugging. I've got two plugs and holding in my Alpin rear now with tons of miles on them.

That said, I've heard that the little mushroom plugs don't work so well on irregular holes. Having seen them in action, I can understand why. I carry the sticky rope and a T handle, too, just in case I get a less pristine puncture some day.

In another not motorcycle life I've had to, and been able to, keep jamming those darn ropes into a starfish hole until it held and we could limp out. Can't do that with the mushroom plugs.
Good point. You can never be too prepared. I will make sure to throw a few of the sticky ropes in my emergency kit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
For about $30, the smallest Slime air compressor has worked well for me for many years, model 40001 (obsoleted model).
But I really like the even smaller newer Dynaplug compact compressor for $60, and it comes with all the wires and connectors for your bike. And it has the built-in valve for checking the pressure as it's pumping.

But the amp draw is what you should look at closely.
The newer Slime models say to use a 15 amp fused wire. Mine is 8 amp draw and connects directly to the battery tender connectors.
The Dynaplug model draws only 4.5 amps, allowing you to plug it into a 10 amp cigarette lighter socket (theoretically).

Of course there are other models available, but consider where you will plug it into your bike, then look at the power draw before buying.
Jefro.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Wal-mart has a good small compressor, but you would have to replace the plug or make an adapter for the battery tender connector. I bought mine a very long time ago while seeing lots of use and it has outlasted everything thing else I have gotten that was just as small or smaller. I ended up getting a small "stop-n-go" compressor and it fell apart (wording used because of breaking internally while not in use).

I also carry the same kit (for both bikes) and I also carry the strip type kit. Having more than one solution really is needed because of what may be causing the air loss. I have seen someone that ran over a pocket knife and the blade found its way into the rear tire. It took every "strip" I had to get any sort of plug, but it was not a good one. It was good enough that if you were out in the middle of nowhere, you would be able to get somewhere eventually. But, since we were not in the middle of nowhere, the rider opted to get a tow to a near by shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts