GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in need of quick answers.

I am taking my trike to the dealer this afternoon to possibly replace my front tire. I have a slow leak. They do not patch/plug, but will replace valve stem if it is the issue.

Soooo, in todays world, I have a choice of Dunlop Elite 4 or Bridgestone 704's. These are the 2 carried by the local dealer.

I am looking for a comfy ride and possibly high mileage with money not being an issue.

Which one guys and gals???

·
Love The DCT
12,013 Posts
Am in need of quick answers.

I am taking my trike to the dealer this afternoon to possibly replace my front tire. I have a slow leak. They do not patch/plug, but will replace valve stem if it is the issue.

Soooo, in todays world, I have a choice of Dunlop Elite 4 or Bridgestone 704's. These are the 2 carried by the local dealer.

I am looking for a comfy ride and possibly high mileage with money not being an issue.

Which one guys and gals???

If it were my bike, I wouldn't be afraid to put an Elite 4 on the front.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I had the Bridgestone on my trike when I bought it and got 9K miles. When I replaced it I went with the Michelin Pilot Active, which is run by many trike owners. It's a rear tire and is also mounted backwards. I'm not sure if mounting it backwards does any good or not. Some also run a Bridgestone rear mounted the same way. I've never tried that one. With the Michelin I have never gotten less than 20K on one and also never have worn one out. It seems like I'm always taking a long trip with a couple K left on the tire and change it so I don't have to buy one on the road. Never had any problems with the tire. Avon also makes a trike specific tire but I can't comment on it as I've never tried it.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the Bridgestone on my trike when I bought it and got 9K miles. When I replaced it I went with the Michelin Pilot Active, which is run by many trike owners. It's a rear tire and is also mounted backwards. I'm not sure if mounting it backwards does any good or not. Some also run a Bridgestone rear mounted the same way. I've never tried that one. With the Michelin I have never gotten less than 20K on one and also never have worn one out. It seems like I'm always taking a long trip with a couple K left on the tire and change it so I don't have to buy one on the road. Never had any problems with the tire. Avon also makes a trike specific tire but I can't comment on it as I've never tried it.
Thats nice and all, butttt, I only have the 2 choices listed above.

I think Elite's will be the winner this time.

I only ride about 3K a year anyways. I still work for the man.

·
Registered
608 Posts

If you could hold off, you might ask them if they would order you a different tire. I'm currently using the Avon trike tire and think it's a good choice but there are other choices out there they might be able to get for you. Just a thought if it's not a "have to" situation.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I run E-4s but not with a trike and get 17k miles plus on them. My front left side wears out first and centerline remains useable. I think you'll get better mileage on it than I do, but I also run Max psi that is not nessessarily cushy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

I was just giving you information on what I use and many others also. If you only have those two choices I would go with the E-4 simply because I had good luck with the E3s when I was on 2 wheels. Did about 110K on them and never a failure and always got a minimum of 12K but I wouldn't expect that many miles with a trike because of the differences with the two machines. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If "home" and not on a trip I'd hafta find another tire/dealer, wouldn't mount either one of those choices.
If out in the BFE and couldn't get anything else, 'Stone.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, tire guy said tire was fine. He could not find a leak in the tire.

What he did though was replace the valve stem and rebeaded the tire on the rim using bead caulk or what ever they call it.

He said my rim was not the best, but to give this a try. If it still leaks, I will have to buy a new rim at $750...ouch!!! A new tire will not do the trick.

To bring in a new tire that down the road, and have them mount it, will cost 1 hour labor..$60.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, tire guy said tire was fine. He could not find a leak in the tire.

What he did though was replace the valve stem and rebeaded the tire on the rim using bead caulk or what ever they call it.

He said my rim was not the best, but to give this a try. If it still leaks, I will have to buy a new rim at $750...ouch!!! A new tire will not do the trick.

To bring in a new tire that down the road, and have them mount it, will cost 1 hour labor..$60.
I usually change my own tires. To preclude leaks I always scrub the bead seat with a Scotchbrite pad (green) and mineral spirits to get all the stuck on rubber bits off. I do mean all. If your rim doesn't have nicks or gouges in the bead area, I don't know how it could leak. Also, I always use metal valve stems. Do you have TPMS sensors?

Robert

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually change my own tires. To preclude leaks I always scrub the bead seat with a Scotchbrite pad (green) and mineral spirits to get all the stuck on rubber bits off. I do mean all. If your rim doesn't have nicks or gouges in the bead area, I don't know how it could leak. Also, I always use metal valve stems. Do you have TPMS sensors?

Robert
No TPMS. My rim does have some nicks and gouges, hence why he said it did not look the best.

Am hoping the bead gunk will work. I have been lax on cleaning my wheels....

·
Registered
608 Posts
No TPMS. My rim does have some nicks and gouges, hence why he said it did not look the best.

Am hoping the bead gunk will work. I have been lax on cleaning my wheels....

Hopefully your problem is fixed and now you know you can bring your own tire if you decide to mount one that he doesn't carry.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Robert
He cleaned the rim with special emphasis on the bead seat area plus added the bead glue/gung as added insurance. I will know in about a week if all is good. If not, then I have to buy a rim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts