GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I was preparing for a trip north to find cooler weather by riding around Lake Superior. I expected the trip to total close to 4,000 miles. I had about 10k miles on my first set of Dunlop Elite 3s at the time and was uncertain what mileage to expect from them and wondering whether I should replace the tires early before my trip or run them and risk being forced to replace them on my trip . . . or worse.

I posted here and some advised me to replace them early because the additional miles I might get out of the tires wasn't worth the risk or inconvenience of tire purchase on the road. Others told me I could safely make the trip on the tires.

I decided to go with the tires I had and just returned home. I actually rode around Lake Superior then around Lake Erie as well. Total trip mileage was 3,750 miles. Never had an issue with the tires, even in a heavy rainstorm on I-44 southwest of St. Louis. I guess I took a small risk and got away with it.

The Dunlop E-3s now have 14,500 miles on them and appear to have sufficient tread remaining for another 2,000 miles or so. I'm impressed with the quality and good service life provided by the Dunlops. Apparently they are good for an easy 15,000 miles or more depending on riding style.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
"depending on riding style" says it all.

Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Glad you had a safe trip! Yup, the right wrist has a lot to do with tire wear!:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts