GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 9,400 miles on a pair of Dunlop E-3s and am leaving on a trip that will total about 4,000 miles by the time I return home.

My tires look great now and I'm hopeful they will make it through the entire trip before becoming excessively worn and dangerous but this is my first experience with Dunlop E-3s so I don't know what service life to expect.

I don't carry a passenger or tow a trailer and although I occasionally accelerate briskly and always ride at just over the speed limit I probably ride fairly sedately compared to some of you.

My trip will take me north on I-35 to Grand Portage, Thunder Bay, and around Lake Superior to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. From there I'll ride down the eastern shore of Lake Michigan and to Amish County in IN. I'll probably ride I-70, I-44, and the Okie toll roads back home which is east of Lubbock.

Can anyone suggest a Honda dealer or motorcycle tire dealer along my return home route where prices are fair and quality of work is excellent in case I'm forced to buy new tires before I complete my trip?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got 22,000 miles on my last set of E-3's. Hope you have a good, uneventful, trip.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can't help with the dealers along your route. Not even a guarantee they would have a tire in stock for you.

You could save yourself a lot of hassle and just replace the tires with new ones. If they are indeed in great shape, then keep them and have them remounted when the replacements wear out. I hate installing new stuff on my bike when I'm going to be out on the road for a long road trip. Best to have any changes made a 1 week ahead with plenty of shake down time.

With my luck, when the tire was in need of replacement, I wouldn't be near a dealership, the local dealership wouldn't have a tire that fits OR they would screw up something and I'd have a flat.

Good luck and I hope your luck is better than mine. :thumbup:

I've got about 9,400 miles on a pair of Dunlop E-3s and am leaving on a trip that will total about 4,000 miles by the time I return home.

My tires look great now and I'm hopeful they will make it through the entire trip before becoming excessively worn and dangerous but this is my first experience with Dunlop E-3s so I don't know what service life to expect.

I don't carry a passenger or tow a trailer and although I occasionally accelerate briskly and always ride at just over the speed limit I probably ride fairly sedately compared to some of you.

My trip will take me north on I-35 to Grand Portage, Thunder Bay, and around Lake Superior to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. From there I'll ride down the eastern shore of Lake Michigan and to Amish County in IN. I'll probably ride I-70, I-44, and the Okie toll roads back home which is east of Lubbock.

Can anyone suggest a Honda dealer or motorcycle tire dealer along my return home route where prices are fair and quality of work is excellent in case I'm forced to buy new tires before I complete my trip?

·
Administrator
3,589 Posts
Harvey, when I was using E-3's on the rear I averaged about 17,000 to 18,000 miles on them. That's what I got on both E-3's before I started using an alternate tire on the rear.

I still use E-3's on the front and get about the same mileage. I suppose I ride a lot like you ride. I've been told I'm a half-fast rider, or something like that.

So, I think you'll do fine. One more suggestion, you might want to get a spare rear wheel and mount a new tire on it for the trip, then come back home, swap it out, and finish wearing out the older tire. You can pick up a spare rear wheel cheap from a trike shop.

Glen

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Different riders wear tires differently and only you can prevent forest fires. I always got about 12,000 out of E-3's before the cords would bloom, and way less than that with Bridgestones. I would get new rubber before the trip. But even that is not foolproof and one can always encounter a situation where new tire is needed on a trip.

prs

·
Registered
167 Posts
Replace them before you go. Once you leave Minneapolis headed north, you won't find a Honda dealer and most likely no motorcycle shops until you get back in the states. That part of Canada is a step back in time. If its a few bucks you are worried about, save the old ones and wear them out after the trip. You'll be glad you made the change...paul

·
Registered
128 Posts
i agree with putting on the new tires before the trip. not just for peace of mind, but it eliminates the hassle and downtime on the trip. btw i just replaced my bridgestones front had 8000 and the rear 11000

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You don't mention your mileage experience on previous tires, even if they aren't the same brand. I average about 14k on front tires and a little less on the rear. For me, the mileage on the tires you have would put me right on the edge so I would change the tires before leaving. I think you could breath easier if you did, especially if you ran into wet weather. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
330 Posts
guess it depends on what you value safety. my feeling is that tires are cheap compared to having trouble or worrying about where dealers are etc. if you can afford a wing you should be able to afford new tires for a major trip with the number of miles yours already have on them. however everyone paddles their own boat.

live long and prosper

have a safe and fun trip

·
Registered
559 Posts
One more suggestion, you might want to get a spare rear wheel and mount a new tire on it for the trip, then come back home, swap it out, and finish wearing out the older tire. You can pick up a spare rear wheel cheap from a trike shop.
I was going to suggest something alone these lines. I don't think I'd want to remount the old tire AFTER the new one wears out -- by then the old tire may just be too dated. An old tire can still have tread, but the "rubber" compounds and structure of the tire continue to age.
That said, I actually enjoy the extra adventure on trips when something goes wrong -- makes it more memorable -- so I would risk riding on your current tire. Can't vouch for the E3s, but it seems they can last through your trip based on what others are saying.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just for the 'what it's worth' pile, I just last night, ordered a new set of the E-3's, current ones have a bit over 16,000 on them, not down to the wear bars, but the wife is about to have some time off, and I'd feel better with new shoes on the wheels while she's riding with me. If not for that, I'd probably leave them on for another couple of thousand if I were riding alone. Do what makes you feel good.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
At 9,400 miles, you have already used approximately 2/3 life of the tires which means that based on $450 for a new set of tires, you have approximately $150 in unused value left. Ask yourself if peace of mind is worth $150 to you. The answer will tell you what to do.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
New tires just FEEL so much better that I would put the new ones on before I left. I have a spare front and rear, so I'd mount the new ones and if I felt the need to wear out the old, swap them when I returned. Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only got 6500 on my lops and if I was leaving on your trip I think I would replace them. JMHO

·
Registered
528 Posts
I got 12,300 out of my original Dunlops, put a set of Metzelers on and couldn't be happier!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 9,400 miles, you have already used approximately 2/3 life of the tires which means that based on $450 for a new set of tires, you have approximately $150 in unused value left. Ask yourself if peace of mind is worth $150 to you. The answer will tell you what to do.
That's excellent logic and an great way to analyze the issue.

I may just be stubborn or cheap but I replaced the OEM Dunlop D-250s at about 9,200 just before a trip and they were good for at least another 1000 safe miles. Numerous comments I've read here suggest I should be able to get 12k or 13k safe miles out of these E-3s.

I hate to buy the third set of tires already. The Goldwing is only six months old. If I get half way into my trip and realize they are already too worn for safe riding or worse, I'll learn my lesson and come back and admit it publicly.

I was hoping someone would tell me about a great Honda dealer in the upper mid-west that always carries GW tires in stock, offers fair prices, and would allow me to replace them mid-trip if necessary.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That's excellent logic and an great way to analyze the issue.

I may just be stubborn or cheap but . . . I hate to buy the third set of tires already. The Goldwing is only six months old. If I get half way into my trip and realize they are already too worn for safe riding or worse, I'll learn my lesson and come back and admit it publicly.
The $$$ issue appears to be your primary motivation to not put on new tires, when you anticipate being able to manage the 4000 mile trip without problems. However, this is based on assumptions about what you expect to get from your Dunlop tires. You may be right -- then again you may be wrong. If you're wrong, you not only will have to suffer the embarrassment of admitting it on this public forumn, but I think more critically you need to take into consideration the added cost of the headaches, delays and unexpected costs that will likely occur if you are wrong and have to replace the tire prematurely. Add this amount to HBarlow's equation and see if that changes your mind!

·
Registered
544 Posts
How are you guys getting such great mileage out of your E-3's? I was never able to get more than about 16K before they needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
512 Posts
HBarlow,

depending on how you come up to MI from Cosbyton, TX,,,Neihause Honda in Litchfield,IL, is a good Honda dealer,to deal with that will no doubt have about any brand of donut you'd like for your GW. I don't think anyone has actually given you any suggestions on dealer possibilties,,,only to 'change your tires now'!!!
They are located in central/southern IL,, and would be somewhat a half way point up/down in your trip to MI.

Are you coming up,,,to OKCity,Joplin,MO, KC,and over east some,,,or?

Do you know anyone in Happy ,TX?,,,:)

You arent far from the grand town of Dalhart are you.I can ALWAYS remember that fare city,,and I am sure you would know WHY someone from the great Midwest can remember the little town of Dalhart TX,,,,yes? ahhh yes the aroma!!!!!

Here is the link to Niehaus Honda to have just in case,,you can reference back here on the road,,if need be...

http://www.niehauscycle.com/pre_owned_list.asp

Have a fun and safe trip....

take care,
bc

·
Lost Member
150 Posts
Well you didn't say when you are leaving on the trip, so you may have time to go out riding and wear these tires down some more with enjoyable riding here in Texas. Lots of good roads within reach of where you are.

I think you would not second guess putting on new tires for your extended ride. What ever you do, have a great ride and hope you find some cooler weather.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts