GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to replace your own tires? It seems that most everyone online sells tires at good prices but that only helps if you can get the old ones off and the new ones on and balanced. Is this a job that requires much specialized equipment or can I do it myself with normal hand tools and save money?

:bow:

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Depot Power Center / Blairsville, GA

You could just go where I go.
Call Gary / service manager and tell him Steve Pascucelli sent you (not necessary for good service or price)
He keeps Dunlop Elite III and Metzler 880 in stock and charges about $375 total. He can also order any tire you like.
If you do decide to do your own let me know, I'd also like to learn how to do it. I can usually do mechanical stuff after being shown how to do it once.

Steve

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,931 Posts
I have the same setup as Fred and after a couple of tire mounts to get the technique down it's pretty easy to do. You can buy the basic changer at Harbor Fright on one of their sales for $39 for each piece. A Mojo lever and Mojo blocks for the HF rim clamp is $120. A couple of rim savers are good to have also. You would need an air compressor to air up the tire or take it to a air station. So you would be ready to go for about $200 or so. Harbor Fright also sells a MC tire balancer now or you could use DynaBeads. I guess it depends on how much the dealer charges for tire mounting as to whether or not it would be worth the investment, or you could get 2 or 3 of your riding buds to go in together and get one setup for all to use.

·
Registered
748 Posts
tire

I also recommend the NO-MAR tire spoons. Go to their web site and watch ALL the videos, some of them you will want to watch several times.

Also...just google motorcycle tire change/changer/changing and you will get a lot of good hits there also.

The whole thing boils down to decent tools, decent technique, and (IMHO) warm tires.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
I followed Fred's lead and purchased the HF tire changer stand. I did scratch the wheel the first time and I did struggle with that change. I had a good bit of previous experience in changing tires too. The NoMar tire bar just would not get it done. The NoMar spoon set worked like a charm for me to remount. Then I got the Preston Drake MoJo Lever. The first time I used the MoJo, it removed the GL1800 tires like magic, but I failed to grasp the remount instructions and was in a hurry, so I used the NoMar spoons to re-mount. Then I re-read the instructions and since then I have used the MoJo and Harbor freight stand with no problems what so ever. DO watch the NoMar Video tutorials, they are excellent. The NoMar stands are far superior to the HF ones, but the price is higher too -- my next stand purchase will be the NoMar -- if I ever need to replace the HF. BUT; if you install your own, get someone to help you the first time or two.

prs

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
The NoMar stands are far superior to the HF ones, but the price is higher too -- my next stand purchase will be the NoMar -- if I ever need to replace the HF.
Ditto. If I had it to do all over again, I think I would just bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the No Mar stand. The Harbor Frieght stand can be made to work, but it can also be a bit of a pain to use, and will increase your odds of scratching a rim.

·
Registered
748 Posts
tires

I got an adapter that bolts onto my HF stand...and then adapts to the receiver on the back of my pickup truck. The stand height is therefore somewhat adjustable, and it is very rigid.

The other thing that helps and it has been said before, is to strap the wheel to the stand on at least one spoke to help keep things rigid.

And if you live in a cold area, make sure the old and new tires are as warm as you can get them. Bring them inside over night, and stick them near the furnace (but not too close). And...use a high quality tire lube like the NO MAR stuff to mount and demount. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks to BARTMAN I went to JACKSONVILLE HONDA and got a set of STONES $295.31 installed on the wing. I live 170 miles away bUt worth every penny amd a great ride. Another wing was there from kingston ga. FroM what I heard the have another place in upper ga.

Best experience ever in a MC dealership. Even got clearence Goldwing shIrts for $5..

On my 02 wing the BRIDGESTONES 709/704 COMBO IS AWESOME COMPARED TO THE 3000 MILE E3s I HAD ON.

hope this helps...THUNDERWING

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys.... that's some valuable information. Looks like I'm going to have to save up my pennies and buy some equipment. Fortunately, I have a few miles left on my E3's so I still have some time before it becomes mandatory to replace them. I was a diesel mechanic back in the 70's and 80's and until recently, I have always done all of my own automotive maintenance (with exception of tire replacement). Since getting the wing in October, I've decided to start doing more of my own wing maintenance. This is the best site that I have found for this kind of self help. Thanks again. :bow:

Jim

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
How hard is it to replace your own tires? It seems that most everyone online sells tires at good prices but that only helps if you can get the old ones off and the new ones on and balanced. Is this a job that requires much specialized equipment or can I do it myself with normal hand tools and save money?

:bow:

Thanks,
Jim
Daily,

The posts regarding the specialized equipment are all correct, but you can do the job with just tire irons. That's what I use and I'm not a real strong guy. You just gotta be clever.

My secret weapons? A heat gun and Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube.

IHTH!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
It'll cost ya about $100 - $150 in tools, and you may scratch your rims the first time or two you do it, but it really isn't that hard. Once you do a couple it gets easier.

Full photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

No one needs to spend that much money to change tires, theres no
need to scratch your rims either.

I've been changing tires even in the shops I worked at with tire
changing machines since 1963 with a large C-clamp to break the
bead,two large curved tire irons and a set of plastic rim protectors.

The tire irons and rim protectors can be got at your local Cycle Gear
and the large C-clamp can be got at your local HF store 8 inch or
bigger works great on the rear tire.

Good Luck and have fun.

PS: A pair of jack stands you use for changing oil in your car with the
axle in the front wheel works great for a balancer, the rear doesn't
really need balancing. I've never balanced a rear tire on any of my
motorcycles in over 40 years of riding.

G

·
This thread has convinced me, I'm paying somebody to change my tires. Every 8K to 12K miles, a few bucks for somebody else to own the proper equipment and technique seems worth it. Thanks.:thumbup:

Geof

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have changed the front and rear tires on mine. I decided it was easier to have a local installer do it, in the future. He only changes $6 and I do my own balancing. I have a HF and had to reweld several places and it is just not worth messing with.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Daily,

The posts regarding the specialized equipment are all correct, but you can do the job with just tire irons. That's what I use and I'm not a real strong guy. You just gotta be clever.

My secret weapons? A heat gun and Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube.

IHTH!
I'd really like to see a video of changing these GL tires with just tire irons. I'm not doubting, I've seen guys do lots of work with little equipment, but I would like to see it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'd really like to see a video of changing these GL tires with just tire irons. I'm not doubting, I've seen guys do lots of work with little equipment, but I would like to see it.

I want to see that video, too!! The front tire is pretty easy, but that rear is something else!! I'm from Missouri on this one. I use the H.F. and Mojo and with some practice, I've gotten pretty good. Maybe I'm just too old and weak...but of course, technique is everything.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I want to see that video, too!! The front tire is pretty easy, but that rear is something else!! I'm from Missouri on this one. I use the H.F. and Mojo and with some practice, I've gotten pretty good. Maybe I'm just too old and weak...but of course, technique is everything.
+3....And make it a rear Elite 3, just for a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

Jerry;

I can do it faster then a tire machine can with tire irons. I'll do ya one
better then a video. I/we are leaving on a 6 to 8 month tour of the
U.S.A. and will be in your area some where through our travels. Here
is my # 704-236-2885 PM me yours or call me with your # and I'll
let you know when I/we will be through your area and I'll change
your tires or a friends tires while you watch (for free") ;)

Thats a good deal no matter how you change a tire.. LOL"

I/we hope to see you sometime in the next few months"

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Jerry;

I can do it faster then a tire machine can with tire irons. I'll do ya one
better then a video. I/we are leaving on a 6 to 8 month tour of the
U.S.A. and will be in your area some where through our travels. Here
is my # 704-236-2885 PM me yours or call me with your # and I'll
let you know when I/we will be through your area and I'll change
your tires or a friends tires while you watch (for free") ;)

Thats a good deal no matter how you change a tire.. LOL"

I/we hope to see you sometime in the next few months"
I will do that. I'll video it for the rest of the group.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Someone else would have to do the camera work.....and the sound could not be recorded (too much cussin').

It can be done, though, trust me. The last set of tires I mounted on mine were E3's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts