GL1800Riders Forums banner

tire replacement ?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Haste Maker 
#1 ·
i am buying tires from hal. where do yall get your tires changed? I live in north ala.

#2 ·
I think most of us mount our own. But check with Cycle Gear, if you have the wheels off they have a good price from what has been posted. There in one in Huntsville. You could try Minor Tire in Decatur but I think they are High.

#4 ·
Universal Cycle in Florence. Stopped by there last week and got a quote of $50/tire to remove/computer spin balance and remount on bike.

$30/$35 (can't remember) if you remove and bring them the wheel/tire and you do the remount.

I got tires from Hal and am going Tuesday to give them a try. They have been in business for 28yrs. and have bought aftermarket parts there a long time ago. I will give you feedback on them after the install. Hope all goes well as they are convenient for me.

I checked from Huntsville west to Florence. As Towmotor stated Cycle Gear in Huntsville had the best price but were a little far for me. Minor Tire in Decatur was higher but has a good rep. When calling and checking prices ask if they do static balance or computer spin balance.

Will post back results asap.:cool:

#5 ·
Tire Service - Florence, AL

Tried Universal ATV & Cycle, 418 S. Royal Avenue, Florence, AL today for tire mounting. Great folks to deal with and did a great job. They have a bike lift with the drop out tail which makes removal of the rear wheel a piece of cake. They also have the computer spin balance machine.

Price is $50/wheel - they do all the work. $35/wheel you do the removal/replace. IMHO $15/tire well spent to let them do the dirty work. Brian Carbine is the owner 256-766-0831 M-F 9-5, Sat 9-4(call first for firm Saturday hrs). No appointment necessary, they worked me in within a very reasonable time. His mechanics are lifelong motorcycle guys.

If you need lunch while there, try Staggs Grocery just east of the shop, great real meat hamburgers & fries. Looks rough on the outside but clean as a pin on the inside - nice folks.

Mike

#6 ·
Thanks Mike I am going to universal tomorrow. Ed I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that next time. I am thinking about getting my own changer and balancer. I would like to have someone walk me through the first time. The only experiences i have is with helping my grandfather change tires on his big trucks. Actual breaking and mounting tires. Thats been 15years.

#7 ·
Thanks Mike I am going to universal tomorrow. Ed I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that next time. I am thinking about getting my own changer and balancer. I would like to have someone walk me through the first time. The only experiences i have is with helping my grandfather change tires on his big trucks. Actual breaking and mounting tires. Thats been 15years.
I have a balancer that is gathering dust now. Use Dyna Beads and save the money on the balancer and get a better ride.

#8 ·

Anytime you want to try it let me know and we can use mine the first time I have been out of time with a buddy riding we left Tue morning and just got back Fri evening see you later.

Eddie H.

#9 ·
Tire Change

Remember, for the first 100 or so miles, be careful and don't ride agressive as the new skins need scuffed up a bit to get proper traction. Also, check inflation pressures the following day and frequently thereafter and adjust as necessary. :thumbup:

Mike

#10 ·
I used universal in Florence today and they did a fine job. They gave me a quote of $400 for them to get the tires mount + balance(stones). By the way I checked the tire pressures and made sure the bolts were tight. (they were) I had a friend who had a tire fall off his truck 20 miles after buying tires. Now i think of that and check everything. It always amazes me how much better a bike handles with new tires. I cant help but to think that this is lost on the darkside guys with there perpetually square profile.

#11 ·
I used universal in Florence today and they did a fine job. They gave me a quote of $400 for them to get the tires mount + balance(stones). By the way I checked the tire pressures and made sure the bolts were tight. (they were) I had a friend who had a tire fall off his truck 20 miles after buying tires. Now i think of that and check everything. It always amazes me how much better a bike handles with new tires. I cant help but to think that this is lost on the darkside guys with there perpetually square profile.
You would be amazed at how a C/T handles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.