GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another symptom... (maybe I should just stop riding the bike so I don't have these problems..:eek:4:)

Bike: 2010 Gl 1800 no ABS with All Balls Bearing and Traxxion system
Mileage: 34,000

Ok 4000 miles ago I went to the dark side (Kuhmo RF rear) and put on a new front tire - Avon Cobra...have had good luck with the Avon Cobra Fronts

This past week was riding the bike....had to do a hard swerve (sp?) to avoid a deer...in doing so hit a nice pot hole...

Symptom: Slight wobble in front, more wobble if lean bike to the right and take a turn hard versus to the left....

Could it be: Bent a front rim...if so how can one tell or determine...can't afford to just replace a rim for the fun of it....

Could it be: Broke an internal ??? belt ??? to the tire...if so how can one tell or determine...

Could if be: Bent a fork....if so how can one tell or determine....

Before the pot hole, no wobble, smooth as smooth...now a little shaky on turns and deacceleration.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thank You

Safe Rides

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sounds to me like you probably damaged a belt in the front tire.... I'd replace it regardless, as even if the problem is a bent rim, it could still be damaged.

Bent rim? Runout on the front rim could easily be checked by supporting the front of the bike with it on the center stand and a jack under the motor. get a brick and tape a stick to it the height of the rim about an eighth of an inch away. Hold the handlebars firmly and spin the front rim. any deviation will be easily seen in the gap between the rim and the stick.

Bent fork would most likely cause a pull to the left or right, not a wobble or vibration.

Keep us informed. Inquiring minds and all...

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
After inspection of tire and rim, I suggest you begin with a simple reset of the front end suspension parts. It sounds more difficult than it really is and may resolve your issures. Loosen the fork brace (I suggest you loosen the 4 cneter screws as well as the 4 end bolts), loosen the RIGHT side axle clamp bolts, loosen the RIGHT side axle nut, loosen the LEFT side axle clamp bolts. Support the front end of the bike with teh tire jsut barely off the floor with a cycle loft or sissor jack under the motor. Loosen the bottom triple tree clamp bolts (if memory serves there are two pair of these), them loosen the top triple tree bolts. Now the forks should be loose in the clamps, shake the handle bars a bit to "relax teh looose parts. Use a utility type razor blade to set the upper end of the tubes flush with the top bridge (if you are going by Honda spec) or use a 10mm spacer to set that if going by Traxxion suggestion) at each side. Finger tighten all the fork clamp bots to where they just make contact and then barely snug the top set of clamp bolts to hold the fork tubes - check them to be sure they did not move. Using equal small turns of the wrench, snug the fork clamps in some logical order so all are equally snug and secure. Use a torque wrench to continue turning each bolt by small increments untill all are torqued to spec with almost equal turns of the wrench. Now follow this typicall sequence to tighten all other loosened hardware: Hold the LEFT side of the front axle with a Phillips screw driver shaft through the provided hole, tighten the RIGHT large axle nut to spec. Turn the two RIGHT side axle clamp bolts in by hand to make contact and use torque wrench to turn them in by small fractions of a turn in alternate fashion until spec torque is reached. Remove the jack you used to support the front end. IMPORTANT; with bike on center stand sit on the seat and hold both brakes firmly. In "rocking horse fashion" bounce the front end several times to settle the forks on the axle. Now finger tighten the LEFT axle clamp bolts, then in small increments alternately tighten them with torque wrench until to spec. Check the "tell-tale" line on teh LEFT end of the axle, it should be visible right up next to the outer edge of the lower fork casting. Check the clearance betwen the inner edge of teh LEFT fork BRACKET and the outer edge of the brake rotor (it should clear easukt. Now make sure the fork brace end clamps are evenly and fully resting upon the tops of the fork castings and then "snug +" the FRONT bolts of each clamp to close the front seam. Then tighten each rear seat co clamp bolts and then tighten the front ones per Traxxion specs. IF the front end was knowcked out of alignment, you just fixed it IF there was not permanent damage.

prs

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
It could be a rear tire/rim problem also. Don't forget to check that by spinning the rear too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts