GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie self tire changer, what is a good bead lube? Finally got the new BS mounted on the rear rim, but the bead wont seat or hold air.

I guess real soapy water will work. But what about WD40? Have some of that around, but will that damage the rubber?

When I get the tire on, I intend to use the beads.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Haven't changed a tire on a GW yet, but have on many other cycles.

I use cheap spray furniture polish.

Lanolin hand cleaner (the kind that comes in a tub, -without- the grit) works well also.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Do you have the valve core in? If so take it out until you get the bead to seat. You need to get as much airflow into the tire quickly.

I use the NoMar tire mounting lube, but if that wasn't handy, I'd use Windex liberally.

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
They make specific products for that. They lube the bead and when dry become sticky to help keep the bead seated and from shifting on the rim while braking. If the tire shifts, your balance is off. When I managed Firestone stores and Goodyears service departments, we used a producted called Ruge-glide (I think that is spelled right). Don't use anything other then a product intended just for tire mounting.

NAPA would sell a tire mounting lube. Sometimes it comes in a past and you add water. Get the brush and bucket too.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I bought mine at a local auto parts!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Most auto supply houses have rubber lube, but usually in 1 gallon containers. That's enough to lube 100 tires, and it's sits around for most of it's life.

I've tried various "home use" lubes, but I finally settled on the orange gel hand cleaner. It works very well, does not have any lasting effects on the rubber or aluminum rims (it's designed for human skin), and makes it easy to clean your hands afterwards!

Get some at the dollar store.......enough to lube a dozen tires.....or clean your hands for a long time.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
After trying many different types of tire lube, the best one I found is NoMar tire lube. It's a vegetable base lube that is very thick, but a little goes a long way. I've mounted three run flat car tires using this lube and it is the only lube that will work on these tough sidewalls. Using it on the front bike tires makes them a breeze to mount. It also seals the bead well and washes off with soap and water.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There are many, many ways I've seen people mount tires. I have used silicone spray, windex and vegetable based tire lube. They all work, but the issue is which goes away after your done mounting. The tire lube does for sure. After mounting, I always wipe down the tire and bead area with alcohol to be sure there is no slippage. I would definitely recommend going with a product made for the job.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After trying many different types of tire lube, the best one I found is NoMar tire lube. It's a vegetable base lube that is very thick, but a little goes a long way. I've mounted three run flat car tires using this lube and it is the only lube that will work on these tough sidewalls. Using it on the front bike tires makes them a breeze to mount. It also seals the bead well and washes off with soap and water.
You are one of a very few who have mounted a RFT successfully. Most of my reading is from guys who couldn't (or wouldn't) do it. Glad to know it can be done with a manual tire changer (I assume) with a good tire lube.:congrats:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The last couple tires I mounted I used good ole thick shampoo straight from the bottle. It is slick.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Go to No-Mar and get their lube, both the spray and the tub. I've been changing my own tires since 1973 and always used soap/water but big mistake on aluminum wheels, the real lube works great. I didn't have any trouble changing my own GL1800 tires with simple tire tools working on my knees on the floor, but may have got lucky as I've only done one set so far.

·
Registered
804 Posts
:agree: and never ever use a petroleum based lubricates on rubber based products such as WD40! Ever!

·
Registered
538 Posts
As a newbie self tire changer, what is a good bead lube? Finally got the new BS mounted on the rear rim, but the bead wont seat or hold air.

I guess real soapy water will work. But what about WD40? Have some of that around, but will that damage the rubber?

When I get the tire on, I intend to use the beads.
PLEASE, don't use the WD-40!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all the advise.

Ended up using some car wash is water as I finished up my first set of GW1800 tires.

After a major battle with the rear, which I finally won, I learned that one has to put blocks to press down the tire bead opposite the closing area. Made it go a lot easier.

Tried seating the bead with just a 12V inflator, which will not work. Local gas station was helpful, tho somewhat startled when the bead popped into place at about 25psi.

Front tire was a snap. Used lube, 2 wood blocks about 3/8" thick. Could have been a little thicker, to about 1/2"for the front, 3/4 for the rear. Was able to seat the beads with the 12V Slime inflator. It popped at about 20psi. Even when you are expecting it, it is a startle.

Don't know if I will do the next set. But I have 12-14K miles to worry about it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts