GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small discovery on tire pressure - I find the larger the tire the less air required to create the proper footprint.
On my wing which runs a 205x60 I run 28 on the Valk which sports a 205x65 it's 26psi and now on the STealth which has a 175x60 its up to 35psi.
Now the ST weighs almost 300 lbs less than the wing yet requires more air to get the tire to sit correctly. I guess this makes sense due to the smaller footprint vs pressure per sq inch.
At 26psi where I started the 175 looked real flat the the footprint extended past the treat to the sidewall. The way I test the print is simple - wet the driveway and just ride through it, then check the pattern laid down on the dry part of the driveway.
I would guess this would figure into the pressure used on the 175 tires on the wings also.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Small discovery on tire pressure - I find the larger the tire the less air required to create the proper footprint.
On my wing which runs a 205x60 I run 28 on the Valk which sports a 205x65 it's 26psi and now on the STealth which has a 175x60 its up to 35psi.
Now the ST weighs almost 300 lbs less than the wing yet requires more air to get the tire to sit correctly. I guess this makes sense due to the smaller footprint vs pressure per sq inch.
At 26psi where I started the 175 looked real flat the the footprint extended past the treat to the sidewall. The way I test the print is simple - wet the driveway and just ride through it, then check the pattern laid down on the dry part of the driveway.
I would guess this would figure into the pressure used on the 175 tires on the wings also.
Am I correct that both your tires are non run flats? The side walls on the larger tire would be a little heavier and perhaps not require proportionately higher pressure to maintain good shape and thus give a similar type of foot print . Cheers...:doorag:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non of mine are run flats so sidewall stiffness should be similar throughout

·
Registered
598 Posts
Aside from sidewall stiffness, which has a really insignificant influence on tire weight capacity in normal usage, there is a direct correlation between the capacity of a tire and the number of moles of gas (generally air, sometimes pure nitrogen) that the tire contains. You can increase this quantity in two ways: Make the interior volume of the tire larger, so it will hold more gas, or you can increase the pressure, thereby forcing more gas moles into the existing space.

When you increase the tire's volume without increasing the weight it has to carry, you can decrease the pressure because you still have the same number of moles of gas by virtue of the increased volume.

Using car tires on our Gold Wings, the tires are seldom carrying their rated load for the pressure, so things like traction and handling are greater concerns to most riders. That's why we can all come up with our favorite pressure for each tire and each situation, and there are no absolutes. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts