GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trying C/T. What are the tire sizes to use and is there one that will correct the speedo like the 70 size (180/70R16) does?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The 195/55/16 help the speedo some but not 100%. Some use a 205/65/16 to eliminate the speedometer error, but this tire hits the swing arm a little. It is also a harder tire to mount on the bike because it's a little wider and the fender needs to be tied back. Most of us use Run Flat tires for a lot of reasons. Read the older threads and you will see the tires most of us use.

·
Registered
331 Posts
rrscott the Kumho run flat 195-55-16 is turning out to be a very good tire.Just click on the site in my signature for all the reasons for running a ct. then scroll down throught the list of darksiders for the list if tires that have been used. The 195-55 tire fits ok in the wheel well but some of the others you may have to do some ajusting.
Welcome aboard if you deside on running the c/t you will enjoy the c/t very much. :thumbup:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
For Florida, go with the best overall size, the 195-55 in a Run Flat. They'll all work but the current pick by many is the Khumo.

Be prepared for a smoother ride, better traction and longer life. When installing it, remember to use a little dish soap or grease on the inner fender where it hits. That'll make it go in a lot easier, just like when you...........................never mind.:oops:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire Sizes

Ok, what about a 195/60r16?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ok, what about a 195/60r16?
Randy,
There may only be a handful of folks here running a 60... of the listed darksiders in Murgie's list, it looks like the vast majority are running 55's. Let us know how it works out if you try it...

·
Registered
930 Posts
yes

There is a size that corrects the speedo, it's the Conti Vanco Contact 2 195/65TR16. However, as many have said, it's not a runflat so most go with various 195/55/16's.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire Sizes

Thanks all, I'll give it some throught.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm thinking of trying C/T. What are the tire sizes to use and is there one that will correct the speedo like the 70 size (180/70R16) does?
From what I see the 205x60 will but it is the biggest tire you can possibly fit as it does initially rub slightly on the front right corner of the swing arm. The speedo is perfect according to the GPS though. And it stops rubbing quite soon and no damage done.

A 195x60 will be close but off 2 mph at 65. I don't know about a 195x65 but my guess is it will be a close fit. With that being said I will probably try it on my next CT change.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey Joel, Not knocking your choice of tire, but I hope your not a hard core ride till hell freezes over guy. But you better use that tire up before the snow flies in like what, Sept. up in Green bay. Not intended to be driven in near freezing temps, snow or ice.:eek:4: That's what it says, and one of the reasons I didn't get one. But that's just my opinion. Enjoy the ride and the great scenery up in WI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare ship for ludicrous speed---------------Dark Helmit

Harvey
DS#30
Firestone firehawk
Battlax Bt 140/70/18
Champion 155/80/13 (hack)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I run a 195/65R16 on my Wing. The speedo is right on !! The tire is a little large, had to install with zero air in it. Then when it was aired up, it touched the swing arm. I could still turn the wheel, but you could feel it drag a bit. When I first rode it, it would make a burning rubber smell, that went away pretty quick. But even now, with 14,000 miles on the tire, If I get up into triple digits fora while, I can smell it again. I have ridden it 120 MPH for a couple miles, stopped and felt the tire. The tire was cool but the very narrow area that touched the swing arm was hot enough that you didn't want to touch it !

What I like about this rear tire..

Load rated at 1980 pounds
Stiff side walls and I can ride with zero air slowly.
Absolutely great on gravel and dirt roads
With 35 lbs air, it does corners so well you think your on rails
Smooth non choppy ride
Has never slipped on wet roads ! Knock on wood !
The wear appears to be able to go way beyond 50,000 miles
I feel warm and fuzzy, very secure riding on it.

JMHO :cool:
PS, Which pocket am I supposed to put the grenade in ??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts