GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the numbers stand for the dimensions of the tire, take for instance a Kumho 195/55/16, what do the numbers mean?

195 means something
55 means something
And I know 16 is the wheel size.
If I were to go to a Kumho 195/60/16 what part of the tire that gets bigger?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I know the numbers stand for the dimensions of the tire, take for instance a Kumho 195/55/16, what do the numbers mean?

The sidewall would be taller(60% of the width which is the 195 portion of the size)

·
Registered
393 Posts
195/60R16

195 is the width of the tires in millimeters
60 is the aspect ratio, the tire sidewall is 60% of the tire width
R is radial
16 is the 16 inch rim size

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
195/60R16

R is radial
:agree:

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
The guys gave you a quick run down on sizes and what they mean. If you want to know more, check out Tire Rack's site.

Example size: 225/45R17
The first three numbers in a typical size (225/45R17) are the tire's indicated section width in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall.
If you are familiar with measurements in inches, the section width in millimeters can be converted into inches by dividing it by 25.4. For example:
225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"​
The second pair of numbers (225/45R17) is the tire's aspect ratio or profile. This is a ratio of sidewall height to section width. The section height's measurement can be calculated by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio. The answer will be the height of one sidewall. For example:
225mm x 0.45 = 101.3mm
8.86" x 0.45 = 3.99"​
The last number (225/45R17) is the diameter of the wheel in inches.
If you are familiar with measurements in the metric system, the wheel diameter can be converted into millimeters by multiplying it by 25.4. For example:
17" x 25.4 = 431.8mm​
To calculate the overall diameter of a tire, the sidewall height must be multiplied by 2 (remembering that the tire diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel and the one below the wheel touching the ground) and add the diameter of the wheel.
101.3mm + 101.3mm + 431.8mm = 634.4mm
3.99" + 3.99" + 17" = 24.98"​
WARNING: These calculations (and those provided by all online tire dimension calculators) only reflect nominal tire dimensions, which are often subtly or substantially different than the tire's actual physical size and/or the dimensions provided by the tire manufactures.
Drivers working with close fitment tolerances or trying to maintain the original tire diameter of staggered size fitments (similarities or differences) should use the tire manufacturer's specifications for the exact tire(s) they are considering.
Actual Tire Section Width is Dependent on Wheel Width

All tire sizes are assigned specific rim widths upon which they are measured (measuring rim), as well as can often be mounted on slightly narrower or wider wheels (rim width range). Therefore, it is important to note that actual tire section width will depend on the wheel width the tire is mounted on. The rule of thumb is that tire section width changes by 0.2" for every 0.5" change in rim width, being reduced if mounted on narrower then measuring wheel and increased when mounted on wider wheels.

Credit:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
195/60R16

R is radial
The practical application is this:

the 195/60 is the same width as the 195/55, but it's a 'taller' tire. (The 55 series would be considered a bit more 'low profile'.)

If you're 'inseam challenged' the 60 series might raise the saddle a bit more than your comfortable with.

Also, the 60 series (taller) tire will have a greater circumference than the 55 series, meaning that for the same engine rpm you'll travel farther -- your speedo (which is usually showing a speed slower than your actual speed) will be closer to 'reality'.

To complicate things a bit more, the 205/55 will be slightly 'taller' than the 195/55.

Hope this helps. (I liked the reply with the pictures and the circle & arrows.)

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Way to go Murgie!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Murgie,

That cleared it up for me, my next question is do they make a 195/60/16 in a run flat, and will it clear the swingarm on a Goldwing?
This size should put the speedo very close to being right.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts

195 means something
55 means something
And I know 16 is the wheel size.
John,
For tire comparison try:
http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws16=1&tiresize=180/60-16&minwidth=160&maxwidth=205&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=&maxdelta=2
OR THIS:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
thecruiser

1 - 13 of 13 Posts