GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is my first post as I just recently purchased myself a 2003 GL1800. My Wing is in need of new tires and since I historically ride crotch-rockets (don't hold that against me! :) I'm looking for some input. My question is this:

I am not Looking for a long life tire. I am looking for a tire that has more of a performance compound with predictable grip in wet and dry conditions. Preferably a tire with a taller performance profile. Does such a tire exist for Wings that meet it's load requirements?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Glad your not looking for long tire life. That narrows down your choice. In my experience, non of the m/c tires built for the wing have long life. 8k is about what i was getting out of Avon cobra's. I think you will find opinions all over the place. Some Like Bridgestone 709/704 combo, some like Avon's, some even like dunlops.

Many have gone "dark" and put a car tire on the rear and run a bridgestone 709 upfront--pretty dang good combo-IMO
If you are going to stick wtih a m/c tire--Bridgestone 709front/704 rear--hard to beat.

If you want to know more about the "darkside" go here http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Darkside-Riders

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Bridgestone - Works for me - What tires are on your ride now -- WELCOME TO THE SITE :bow:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The front, the Stone G709 is the best I have tried! It gets tacky when riding aggressive, even if its raining!

The rear Stone G704 is the best as far as a motorcycle tire is concerned, if you are interested in an alternative tire visit the SubForum "Darksiders". Great tire choices for that too!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tires

I've run Dunlops for over 66,000 mi. without any trouble, even in the rain. Some say Dunlops don't get good traction in the rain-hogwash. I've never had any troluble but I don't push my bike to the traction limits in the rain either.

I've only been watching this board for 4 years but it seems that most of the reported tire failures have been Bridgestones. No Dunlops.

I'm sure someone will speak out against me but do an "advanced search" and look at all the pictures of bad Bridgestones, and a few others.

You do what you want. If traction is what you want, the Dunlops will hang in there and scrape the bottom of your footpegs just like anything else.

Ed

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Glad your not looking for long tire life. That narrows down your choice. In my experience, non of the m/c tires built for the wing have long life. 8k is about what i was getting out of Avon cobra's. I think you will find opinions all over the place. Some Like Bridgestone 709/704 combo, some like Avon's, some even like dunlops.

Many have gone "dark" and put a car tire on the rear and run a bridgestone 709 upfront--pretty dang good combo-IMO
If you are going to stick wtih a m/c tire--Bridgestone 709front/704 rear--hard to beat.

If you want to know more about the "darkside" go here http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Darkside-Riders
Don't know about the AVON's, but yeah, WHAT HE SAID. :agree:
I went "DARK", and am gonna stay there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
:agree: Also.... I was a dark side skeptic at 1st. Went with the combo below & will never go with anything on my wing going forward. Tires been on a year & still look barely worn at all. So far about 10k on the car tire

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have tryed most tires and i ride with bridgstone.But the best handling tire but poor wear was the Avon.For me it stuck like glue and felt great.
Bill

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
WELCOME!! Im a stoner too. Have tried most brands and have spent considerable time on the DS threads and even have a spare rim just in case I go mad. I like the performance and value of the 709-704. All around good tire. None of the MC tires will last but that is not my biggest concern.
Good luck ride far

·
DSI Keeper
9,229 Posts
I agree with the others and say the BS G709 is the best all purpose, meaning wet and dry tire out there for me. However, I seen your last comment and asked for 'taller performance' tire. If that is meaning you are asking for a better performance tire profile wise, then at least for dry conditions, I would go with the Avon Cobras.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I think the majority of people prefer the stone 709 for the front tire- it's what I use.
the stone 704 is arguably the best mc specific rear tire(and what I preferred while still using mc tires). Then I discovered MUCH BETTER tires for the rear!!!! I will never ever use ANY mc rear tire on my wing ever again!
Pick one of the popular car tires being used and get it on your bike.
Then ride it like you stole it!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Wing currently has the 709/704 setup. With all of your help and input I've decided to stick with the Stones this time around. After I get to know this bike better, I'll try others (avons?). But one thing I just cant seem to wrap my mind around is going Dark. I have a sportbike M/C racing background and the thought of such a limited contact-patch of a car tire on my Wing when cranked over in a turn gives me shivers! LOL.

Im accustomed to smoking a set of tires in one afternoon on the Track so like I said, putting tires on the Wing every >5000 miles is super easy. :doorag:

Many many thanks to all of you. You guys rock. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Great choice- try them all. Research that contact patch info before you rule it out. I think you, like many many others, would be amazed at the truth of the "darkside". Welcome to the board, you will find everything you could possibly want to know about your wing and lots that you don't want to know. This is a great bunch-for the most part.:lol:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't think you'll go wrong with Stones and we trust you know to scrub them (or anything else, for that matter) in good before getting too far over in the curves.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The 709 and the 704 I believe is the best combo out there...Darkside tires are ok but they are not what they are cracked up to be..Makes the wing free like a tank...But each to their...Over 10,000 miles on the darkside and I am back to the 709 and the 704..

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I can't let this thread go without someone telling you to not ever put Dunlop mc tires on your Wing. Anyone who also has a crotch rocket is going to ride fast enough that if it's even foggy in the morning the road is wet enough to make that POS Dunnie slip.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
After almost 70,000 miles of doing direct comparisons between the Dunlop D-250, Dunlop E-3, and Bridgestone 709/704 tire combos, I can ABSOLUTELY recomment the Stone's for the characteristics you are desiring. You will not be disappointed... the Bridgestone's offer light, agile turn-in characteristics, smooth transition qualities with excellent feedback, good grip, and quiet performance without a hint of instability or twitch at any time. Their "sportbike-like" tread design brings out the full potential built into the GL1800 sportbike-like frame. Highly recommended, says me.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
After a few sets of E-3's I switched to 709/704 Stones and really like these better. If you want an even better ride add some Centermatics to your wheels. Oh and welcome to the site !!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts