GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm confused.

Doesn't adding weight to a vehicle theoretically compress a tire? Doesn't compressing a tire reduce the internal volume of the tire (at least theoretically?) With the same volume of air in a tire whose volume has been reduced by physical compression, wouldn't the tire pressure increase? (Apparently I need tutoring in physics.)

Tim
Check the air in the tire when truck/trailer/vehicle empty. Add substantial load. Same psi (within reasonable amount) unless the temp has changed enough to increase the psi.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Check the air in the tire when truck/trailer/vehicle empty. Add substantial load. Same psi (within reasonable amount) unless the temp has changed enough to increase the psi.
My apologies. It was my quizzical, theoretical mind that prompted the question.

I guess for all practical, real world purposes, adding load doesn't measurably alter tire pressure.

Reminds me of my son when at university studying engineering. He came home with a problem to solve: How much heat energy is released when an unlit lightbulb falls 30m and crashes on the ground? Apparently, there is a way to calculate that number, but when Chris asked the prof what the practical application of the exercise was, he was told there was no practical use to learn the calculation, just to be aware it exists and COULD be calculated.

Tim

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There's no practical purpose for knowing such a thing. But, knowing what kind of oil that light bulb was using? Priceless.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Years ago when our 1500 had internal TPMS sending units the warning light would start flashing at 184 F. That would be the actual temperature of the air inside the tire not the valve stem temperature. The sending unit was mounted to the wheel with a large hose clamp strap.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
What was the tire pressure

What was the tire pressure?
I agree "what was the tir EA pressure "?
Low tire pressure will heat up your tire also. With the monitoring system we assume pressure was ok. Sorry I cannot remember heat temp when i used to check . I always run 41psi front and back.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow I am surprised I have not crashed. I run in some pretty high temperatures and at some pretty high speeds. And for long periods of time.
And no Idea of tire temperature
I am going keep it that way

21 - 26 of 26 Posts