GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last E-3 wore funny , had an 3/4" band around the center of the tire that was protruding about 2 32" . I replaced it with a new one and checked the air pressure to see that it was always at 36 lbs . This new tire is starting to do the same thing after only 3000 miles #$%

Just wondering if anyone else has had this and what is going on ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I had the same thing last year on my D250s, Started at 3k and
progressed to all out cupping by the time I finished a 7000 mile
trip. I increased pressure to 39 lbs and that stopped the
progressiveness of the cupping but did not fix it.

I contaced Dunlop and they were great. They told me
that "cupping was unacceptable performance from
their products" They prorated my tires and replaced
them both. I went with the E-3s and have had
no cupping....but the dreaded wobble showed up.

My brother had the identical issue. He went with
the Bridgestones. He has had no wobble....
But the tires really "howl" and seem to be wearing
noticiably faster than the E3s.

If you read all the stuff on this board about
tires and suspensions you'll learn alot, but
to me some get lucky and some don't
There seem to be so many variables, rider
weight, load, tire pressure, riding style, suspension
settings, highway vs commuting, etc etc.

For sure we own a complex bike with complex tire and
suspension issues. ..........Jon sends

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Harrrr. Did ya lose the lug nuts or something? "Oh where, oh where is my tire ware? I lost them when removing my tire due to funny tire wear." I appollogize fer dat!:joke:

An odd wear pattern like you describe seems to be pretty much the norm for E-3 Dunnies on the front. Both of mine did that and Ihave seen many similar reports.

prs

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
In my experience the Stones will wear much faster than others but gives exceptional grip in wet or dry conditions (these are my favorites). I have Mets on my bike now and will not buy another set. The stock 250 gave me good performance and milage, but they didn't like those tar snakes! I have found the e-3 to wear well but a little on the slick/hard side. As I understand it what you're seeing on the front E-3 in the center is a result of a harder compound than is used on either side of it, thus giving longer wear. BTW, I'm a Dark Sider because of rear tire issues and safety. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cupping and wobble

If you read enough you will get 10000 different answers to these questions. Some think new springs is the answerer some taper bearings, fork brace,different brand of tires, back tire all of these may be true. I would start with the taper bearing and go from there. In all reality all heavy bikes have the tendency to cup tires and wobble. I put in the tapper bearing and no more wobble had it before the bearing and lost it after the bearing was installed. Same tires same springs and no fork brace. I keep my tire pressure at 42 and 44 when two up have a small amount of cupping at 11000 miles on the frt change back tire early but I had another one already mounted Metz on both ends will try stone on frt when need to change.

Sonney

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My last E-3 wore funny , had an 3/4" band around the center of the tire that was protruding about 2 32" . I replaced it with a new one and checked the air pressure to see that it was always at 36 lbs . This new tire is starting to do the same thing after only 3000 miles #$%

Just wondering if anyone else has had this and what is going on ?
Tire is WAY Under inflated!!!!!!

41lbs/41lbs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts