GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's use the Kumho ECSTA as an example. We have all read on here about one guy that will run 28 psi and get even wear across the tread of this tire. We have also read about the fellow running 36 psi in this tire and getting even wear.

While I am sure the load on the rear plays a role in these differences in wear (at various psi), I think the type of driving is of more importance. Specifically, the "type" of driving I am speaking of is slab riding versus twistie riding. Two to three years ago the vast majority of my riding miles (over 75%) were slab miles. Today, the mix of slab versus twistie has shifted dramatically for me, with over 50% now being twisties.

Just a thought. Your mileage will vary.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Let's use the Kumho ECSTA as an example. We have all read on here about one guy that will run 28 psi and get even wear across the tread of this tire. We have also read about the fellow running 36 psi in this tire and getting even wear.

While I am sure the load on the rear plays a role in these differences in wear (at various psi), I think the type of driving is of more importance. Specifically, the "type" of driving I am speaking of is slab riding versus twistie riding. Two to three years ago the vast majority of my riding miles (over 75%) were slab miles. Today, the mix of slab versus twistie has shifted dramatically for me, with over 50% now being twisties.

:agree: Where and how I ride dictate wear for me . Example Falken in smokies mountains 6k-8k.. Falken in Wi almost 10k cooler,not as aggressive of twisties, and our roads are not as course of material. Also at 44psi in mountains wear is dead even, here 44psi wears center and outside first leaving 1inch in both sides with 1/32 left maybe 2/32 if riding a lot of straight roads( ick)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

This is why I don't stick on one set pressure. May not be for everyone, but that is what is working for me now.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Here is one suggestion to find that perfect pressure for you.

Use an IR temp gauge/gun. Go for a ride of about 10-15 miles and check the temp across the tread. If pressure is to low the outside edges will be hotter than center, to high and the center will be hotter. Adjust up or down and go for another ride. Check temp. Rinse and repeat until you have a consistent temp across the entire tire.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

Use an IR temp gauge/gun. Go for a ride of about 10-15 miles and check the temp across the tread. If pressure is to low the outside edges will be hotter than center, to high and the center will be hotter. Adjust up or down and go for another ride. Check temp. Rinse and repeat until you have a consistent temp across the entire tire.
That's a neat idea Fuse, I have one but never got down and did a three area check!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I put a stripe on mine with white shoe polish, rode straight for a couple of miles, then checked it.
It was wore off in a uniform pattern.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

Yep tha works as well or better ,been using IR temp gun for over a year on bike tires .it's amazing how much one can learn from that handy tool other than "are my cookies cool enough to eat" :tongue: FYI 100 degrees is just about perfect for cookies with ice cold Wi. Milk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts