GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a 4,400 mile trip from Arizona to Nelson, BC. I run a Kumho ESCTA RF on my Wing. Today I was performing some routine maintenance on my Wing - oil and final drive oil change and since I had the bike up on a MC jack I figured I would make a close examination of my tires (I also polished the rims). I have even wear across the entire surface. Listed below is the tread depth across the tire from left to right looking at the tire from the read.

NOTE: New tread depth is 10/32" or approximately 7.6mm

Left Outlside groove = 5mm or 6.3/32
Left Center groove = 5mm or 6.3/32
Right Center groove = 5mm or 6.3/32
Right Outside groove = 5mm or 6.3/32

As you can see I have even wear across the entire tire. I have been running the tire pressure at 35psi and I currently have 6,475 miles on the tire. Here is a photo of the tire

Ride On!

Smitty

Attachments

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
You'll be needing a new one if you keep on having fun! Mine just keep wearing out.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Sounds like a fun (and beautiful) trip -- and I imagine that running that Kumho RF added a bit of enjoyment & no worries about tire failure.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks Smitty, sounds like you got her dialed in pretty good!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Smitty, thanks for the report. Could you tell us how the bike was loaded for your long trip (2-up, trailer, etc.)? TIA.
:agree:
I think the amount of weight is an important detail when selecting a tire pressure for even wear.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smitty, thanks for the report. Could you tell us how the bike was loaded for your long trip (2-up, trailer, etc.)? TIA.
We were riding two up, pulling a Turtle Hull trailer. Saddle bags and trunk basically empty. Total weight for me and my co-rider is about #290

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
We were riding two up, pulling a Turtle Hull trailer. Saddle bags and trunk basically empty. Total weight for me and my co-rider is about #290

Ride On!

Smitty
Thanks Smitty. Just wondering in my mind how you were getting even wear at 35 psi. Must be the additional weight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Smitty. Just wondering in my mind how you were getting even wear at 35 psi. Must be the additional weight.
Well only 2/3 of the miles were racked up pulling a trailer. My mormal riding is 60/40 1up/2up. I have kept the tire pressure at 35 psi since installing this tire. Tried 34 psi with my first Kumho and is seemed a bit soft for my liking. Also tried 36 and that seemed to present a rougher ride. I have done some suspenssion work. Progressive springs front and rear and also replace the cheap OEM pre-load hose with a Traxxion braided stainless one. I'm thinking the new improved suspenssion helps keep the tires is better more consistant contact with the road - at least it feels like that.

Ride On!

Smitty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts